SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greendane

French Doors or Folding Door System?

greendane
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are building a great room with a long back wall where we want to maximize light and view. The wall is 36' feet in length and will have a fireplace in the center. On each side of the fireplace we want to have as much glazing as we can reasonably fit, and also want to be able to open it to the backyard to create indoor/outdoor space. We are considering two options; either two sets of french doors (6' wide each) on either side of the fireplace (total of four), or one folding wall system (12' wide each) on either side (two total).

Obviously cost is one consideration, and yes folding wall systems are expensive, but I was surprised to learn that one folding door system is nearly the same price as two sets of french doors, which is why we're even considering them. So on the practical side, what I'm hoping for is some wisdom from anybody who has experience with and/or has lived in a home with a folding door system. My instinct tells me that it would be difficult to maintain a tight seal on folding doors, and over 200 sq ft of folding door could potentially become a cold, drafty nightmare in winter. I'm sure there are manufacturers that do a better job than others, and I don't know if it's appropriate to name brands here, but I would really appreciate hearing from others with real world experience with these doors.

On the aesthetic side, we are going for a contemporary farmhouse design. While the french doors aren't necessarily farmhouse, we have always loved the look of a wall of french doors open to the outside like you might see in the French Quarter of New Orleans. But there is no denying the appeal of folding doors either with so much uninterrupted space open to the outdoors. Would really love to hear some opinions about which option others would choose and why.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments (22)