SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueoceanm

groundcover to replace or cover river rocks

blueocean m
5 years ago

The front of our lot is a steep slope. The previous owners installed landscape fabric and river rocks. Now, 6+ years later, the whole thing is becoming very weedy. It's too steep for me to weed and keep on top of.

I'm looking for a replacement that's low-maintenance and good for preventing erosion (no troubles yet, but I don't want to invite any future problems). Something attractive would be nice as this area is adjacent to the street, but I literally only see it when driving into my driveway.

I've been contemplating one of the following:

1. replace river rocks in stages with a variety of low-maintenance perennials: daylillies, catmint, perennial geranium, hosta, and larger shrubs along the neighbour's fence (variegated dogwood or similar).

2. leave the river rocks and plant something that's aggressive enough to cover the river rocks: baltic ivy? Vinca? I'm worried this would just look worse.

3. a variety of shrubs as groundcover. I'm not sure what would be appropriate, perhaps dwarf forsythia in the sunnier areas and false spirea in the shadier spots.

The picture below shows the area. The neighbour's house can be seen straight ahead. My house is to the left. The area is teardrop shaped, roughly 20 feet long and 20 feet at the widest point. The area closest to the large rocks is fully or partially sunny, and the remainder is partially shaded by a large deciduous tree that's just out of the frame top-left.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH