SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthewjgabel

Extreme floor vibration. A structural issue, or a flooring issue?

matthewjgabel
5 years ago

Bought a new condo and learned a hard lesson about doing some serious testing on acoustics and not assuming that because something is expensive, it was done correctly and with consideration of the end users. Only now do I realize the seriously low quality in certain NYC new construction and am incredibly surprised how many people call it ‘normal.’

In any case, I’m wondering if anyone expert in the flooring business can chime in here. I’m considering replacing our entire floor because the vibrations are stressing me out. You can be in another room and if someone on the other side of the apartment walks, or my daughter jumps a little you feel it. And from below, every door the neighbor closes shakes our whole floor giving you an unexpected jolt 5-10 times a day. BOOM!

My question is whether ripping out the floor and adding thickness underneath (some sort of special acoustic treatment) will greatly reduce the problem. Our ceilings are high and I could afford to add an inch to the floor, if necessary. But I’m trying to figure out if this C joist set up is a lost cause, or something I should actually consider. We’re also looking into having the ceiling decoupled and dropped, another issue in itself.

And to anyone reading this considering buying a new condo. I strongly suggest you do some testing on your own, even if it makes your broker and the developers uncomfortable. Take your shoes off and walk in your socks, close the doors from above and below, etc.

Comments (4)