SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missenigma

Kitchen Corner Layout: Dead, Asymmetrical Cabinet, or Blind?

missenigma
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I posted this yesterday but it never showed up in any of the discussions so I'm posting it again.

I'm in the process of finalizing my kitchen layout. It's a small, simple L-shaped kitchen. I don't have an island. I do have a small, narrow pantry closet. I'm trying to decide what to do with the base cabinets corner. I'll be going with an inset, face frame cabinet in the Mouser Centra line. My options in order of preference are:

Plan A - Dead Corner. This seems the most logical. I'd have easy, USEFUL, and readily accessible storage. It also give me perfect symmetry on my stove wall. But, part of me is saying "NOOO! Your kitchen is small, utilize every inch!"

Plan B - 42"/39" Asymmetrical Cabinet. This would basically be an EZ Reach base cabinet. They are not as deep as a Super Susan cabinet (see the annotated drawing below). Allowing for the width of the face frame stiles, I would have nice wide openings on either side of 16.5" and 13.5". (NOTE: Asymmetrical Super Susans are not made in these proportions - they top out at 39"/36"). Has anyone use an asymmetrical corner cabinet this large? Did you like it?

Plans C & C2 - Blind Corner. I know the limitations here. I've seen all the various inserts and "solutions" - LeMans, Half Moon Susans, Magic Corners I & II, Pull out Drawers, etc. While slick, they all have their limitations, and in my opinion, are extremely expensive for little value in return. I've read the Houzz discussions and done the math myself to see that overall they offer less USABLE and READILY ACCESSIBLE storage than just making the corner dead and installing a drawer base. I think this ties with an asymmetrical 36"/33" super susan for last place.

Plan D - Asymmetrical 36"/33" Super Susan. I've seen this, but find the access too tight to be useful. There would be roughly a ~12.9" opening on the diagonal. Very tight, and awkward to get things in and out of.

I'd love get some feedback/comments. Especially if anyone has a 42"/39" cabinet.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals