SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakandsage

White sapotes in a marginal climate

Steph
5 years ago

Got some 'Clytia' stock from this at the scion exchange at Sepulveda Garden this year. I don't know who brought it... thanks to whoever it was...

I grafted two seedlings and got two successful grafts. I'd heard white sapote doesn't always graft easily so I was thrilled!

Does anybody know anything about this cultivar? I assume that it's named for Clytia Chambers, and thus was probably developed by Bob and Clytia Chambers, but I can't find any descriptions or history of it. Strangely, it's not even mentioned on the CRFG Fruit Facts page for white sapote!

I'm just a little obsessive about this sort of thing *G* and mine will probably never fruit here (gets just a bit too cold, too hot, and too dry) so I'll likely only ever know what people tell me. (Is it weird that I'm spending so much effort growing and propagating a plant that will probably never thrive here? Challenges are interesting though.)

I lost 'Suebelle' in the late frost this year. The rootstock's sprouting a little though. Not sure what I'm going to do with it. Maybe I'll just leave it and see what it does.

'McDill' fared better. It lost its leaves but has now leafed out fully. It was marginal its first couple of years but it has been doing a lot better since I moved it under partial shade from the mulberry tree. It grew much more vigorously last summer and probably as a result it recovered from the late frost much more readily. I think the summer heat is the real problem at least as much as the one nighttime frost per year.

I'll be planting one of the 'Clytia' grafts under shade cloth and giving the other away.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!