SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bordeaux1021

Kitchen remodel dilema . Help please!

William Rincon
5 years ago

This is my first post, tho I've been reading these forums for a while now. We are embarking in a a kitchen remodel project in our 1500 sf ranch. We'll be taking down a wall to open up the existing galley kitchen and connect the space with the family room.

I've decided to go with Ikea cabinets and Grimslov fronts (off-white). Counters will be black leathered granite with walls tiled all the way to the ceiling. The island I have in mind is a furniture piece 70" x 30" with a black metal base and white carrara marble top (it has plenty of open storage underneath).

So far I have come up with two possible layouts and I need help deciding which one makes more sense regarding flow and appearance. In the attached drawings I put a table to simulate the island because dimensions are close.

One important thing is I don't want upper cabinets, and would prefer open storage using floating shelves. In the forums most people are against open shelves near the stove and so I would like to hear your opinions.This below is my first iteration with the sink against the windows wall. I thought that floating shelves on both sides of the hood would look nice.

Below is my second iteration now with the range and hood against the windows wall. Here, the open shelving would be on the sink wall.My contractor told me

My contractor told me he could expand the current window to make a single larger window or as many as necessary, so that shouldn't be a limitation.

Also, in this space the family room is south and there is a small nook on the left. The DW is between the fridge and the sink in both versions.

Please, help me decide. Thanks much.

Comments (31)