SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cvw_ky

Plantings for gutter downspout outlet

cvw_ky
5 years ago

Hi all.

I have a gutter downspout that runs underground away from the house and daylights out in the backyard about 30-feet away. The spot is a little awkward, because it is in the middle of the yard, kinda all by itself. It was plumbed with pvc, so I worry about a tripping hazard, plus the fact that it is a little ugly seeing the pipe daylight right in the middle of the yard. Fortunately this is fairly high ground in this area, so it doesn't stay wet or have standing water. It is also in full sun, so any water in the area dries out in good time.

I wondered if I could dress the area up with some plantings that would add interest as well as disguise the pipe and eliminate the risk of tripping over the outlet.

I don't know how much I want to do or how much is too much vs. not enough, but are there any plantings that do better in this kind of area? An area that will be very wet in rainy times but then go through times or regular drought like the rest of the yard? I am in central KY, zone 6b. I have plenty of room for anything from large shade trees (which might be preferred) to flowering trees, to several shrubs and/or flowers. As I say, this is in the middle of the back yard, and gets full sun, so whatever is there needs to be able to handle the heat of the day.

Comments (11)