SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splaker

cornus florida

splaker
5 years ago

I'm curious about this tree... Not even sure it'll grow successfully in my zone (we get 4b temps occasionally...) - I can get a wee little one for $6 from an online dealer that focuses on "native" plants. It is apparently native to Southern Ontario but I am on the northern end of that definition.

How big would I expect this to get in my more northerly climate? Would you consider this a 4 season tree? What are its attributes in your opinion? Are they fussy? I understand the prefer somewhat acidic soil - I have pretty neutral soil that is on the clayish side.. I have the option of planting it in a sunny spot or part sun..

What can you tel me about this tree. Would you plant it if you were in a zone 4b area? Is it a interesting specimen?

Comments (18)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 years ago

Subject to dogwood anthracnose in some parts of the US; might do better with a D. florida x D. cornus cross. Don't know about cold temps...

splaker thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

Sara what is D.? Is dogwood no longer in the genus Cornus?

splaker, where I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, the soil was only very slightly acidic and had a lot of clay in the soil; in places we could form it into pots. Dogwood did fine there and is a common choice for yards as well as Cornus florida growing wild.

My current location is on the edge of 4b, and we do get below -20F occasionally, but not below -25F. I haven’t had damage on Cornus florida, but Cornus kousa has been damaged, with a lot of branch dieback when it got below -20F. I think that this is a situation where provenance is important since trees whose genetic material comes from the northern end of the range is more likely to have been selected for survival in colder temperatures than ones from more southern genetic sources. Siting may also play a role. In our coldest winter that damaged the Kousa, the one in an exposed site with no shelter had a fair amount of damage while the one sited at the top of a slope and surrounded by other trees didn’t have damage. Both are open seeded and I don’t have a location for where they came from.

splaker thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • Related Discussions

Pruning time for Cornus florida?

Q

Comments (5)
    Where I live we get ice storms every few years, and wet snow usually. Because most Dogwoods have twiggy branches they catch more snow or ice than they can handle and large limbs are usually lost. I prune with the ice and snow load in mind....and sometimes still get surprised. Mike
    ...See More

Cornus florida rubra in the South

Q

Comments (3)
    The red dogwoods are simply not happy in the hottest locations. It's not a matter of OUR preference but THEIR adaptability. There are heat tolerant hybrids on the market, if you can believe the marketing hype. Learn to live without the rubra.
    ...See More

Cornus florida 'Cherokee Sunset' - will it take full sun in NC?

Q

Comments (2)
    In my opinion, dogwoods simply look better, fare better if grown in the understory environment that is natural for them. That being said, a 'Cherokee Sunset' can "take" the full sun. But that's a far cry from what you should be asking, which is, "will it thrive" in the full sun.
    ...See More

Cornus florida cvs

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes, I apologize, my first question wasn't very clear. Pretend I never asked that, and instead let me ask another: Are there any white-bracted cultivars that withstand direct sun especially well? I know some straight species seem to do great in full sun and then others not so much. I'm sure soil and supply of moisture play a large role as well. I'm planning on getting two C. florida to go in my backyard where they will receive full sun from about 10-6ish.
    ...See More
  • Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    5 years ago

Seed grown tree from London, ON provenance is completely hardy just north of King City, ON....hope that helps. Anthracnose hasn't been an issue for this tree.

There are a number of specialty nurseries in SW Ontario now offering Cornus florida grown from local seed...you'll have better luck with that than named varieties of C. florida or even C. florida (straight species) from large commercial nurseries.

splaker thanked Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
  • Huggorm
    5 years ago

NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Sara what is D.? Is dogwood no longer in the genus Cornus?

It's Dogwoodiia now

splaker thanked Huggorm
  • toronado_3800
    5 years ago

Splaker, C. Florida is one of the best spring and fall trees. Excellent flower show and excellent long lasting fall color.

Summer, I like their leaves, winter, they're ok but have a gentle hand pruning. Their natural forms are minda pleasing but it takes awhile for them to outgrow pruning wounds.

I love them though. Fall is with the best of the maples and nyssa sylvatica in my opinion.

splaker thanked toronado_3800
  • Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 years ago

My fault! Should have typed C instead typed D.

splaker thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    5 years ago

C. alternifolia is common here too. It's a wonderful tree but other than it being in the genus Cornus, it isn't much like C. florida (for landscape purposes).

• splaker
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I planted a C. alternifolia last fall! In the backyard in a moist spot that gets sun but some shade too... looking forward to it as it comes highly regarded... we have lots of alternifolia in our local forests... Never seen a C. Florida in our forests.. this is the link to the tree vendor... no cultivar mentioned.. guess it's straight species:

https://www.onplants.ca/product/flowering-dogwood/

• splaker
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So how big should I expect it too grow (width and height)? I am seeing different ranges... Don't want it to get too big... hopefully under 20' wide and tall... can they be pruned to control size? I have the space on my property bu the site I want to plant it in is close to my front entrance and I don't want it to overwhelm the entranceway..

• edlincoln
    5 years ago

I'd say they are a two season tree. Not especially picky. It will be a loong time before it gets to large in your climate, if it actually lives that long.

Maybe Pagoda Dogwood (Cornus alternifolia) would be a better choice in your area? It is more cold tolerant and a little smaller.

Hawthorn (Winter King, Washington, Downy) are more "4 season" trees.

splaker thanked edlincoln
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

I see both C. florida and C. alternifolia as of year round interest due to the graceful branching structure. Flowers and good to great fall color add to the appeal, but I really like them regardless of time of year. At a previous house we had a pink flowered one and the leaves emerged with a lot of red tones. It was just east of a window, and the early morning sun through flowers and foliage made the tree glow.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    5 years ago

St. Williams Nursery (wholesale) has C. florida from SW Ontario seed. They supply Springbank Garden Centre (retail). It will definitely stay within your 20' high & wide constraint.

• splaker
    Original Author
    5 years ago

As I do my research I am coming across a fair bit of anecdotal evidence that the Kousa dogwoods are tougher, more superior trees to the native Floridas... Comments?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

How cold does your area get? How protected is the area you want to plant it in? One of my Kousas was severely damaged by -23F temperatures, so unless it stays warmer than that, I would choose a locally adapted C. florida. If you can tolerate damage which is likely to shorten tree life and influence shape, you could try the Kousa, but I think the C. florida is more likely to tolerate cold temperatures.

The main aesthetic difference is that the Kousa blooms after leaf out, while the C. florida blooms before the leaves emerge.

• splaker
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Interesting... this is why i love coming to this forum! You guys have so much more real world knowledge! In the four winters I've lived at my current home, the coldest temp I've experienced was -23 F. That is about as cold as it gets... but obviously colder is possible.. more typically, -18 to -20 F would be the typically "cold snap" temperatures of middle winter. And we do get those pretty frequently... I'm thinking of planting the tree at the front of my home near my entrance. This is south-facing. So, it would get some shelter from the prevailing northwesterly winds... Snow melts quickly at the front of my home compared to the north-facing backyard... it's definitely a touch warmer..

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Sounds like your temperatures are very similar to mine. I will look to see if I can find a photo of the Kousa the first year after the coldest temperatures and how it has recovered in three growing seasons. It was homely enough initially that had it been in front of the house I would have removed it. As it is behind the house, it isn’t visible to most folks so I left it to recover.

Edited to add:

Here it is leafing out after -23F and in "full bloom" (see the tuft of flowers that were below the snow line just to the left of the trunk). It wasn't helped by an early heavy wet snow fall the previous autumn while it was still fully leafed out. It didn't break any branches, but did a fair amount of damage, causing the overall look to be misshapen since it was bent down to about 4' from something like 12' at the time and didn't fully recover from that either.

Here it is in September having thrown out a whole lot of new growth where branches weren't outright killed. I did a lot of pruning that spring and both springs since, and it is finally starting to look like a reasonable tree again. I will most likely need to do a bit of pruning this spring as well, but not nearly as much. If you want, I will add another photo after it has leafed out this spring.

• splaker
    Original Author
    5 years ago

the florida is a northern seed according the supplier...but said it won't survive as it needs Z6. Thought Z5 is okay..

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting