SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_wu6648

Help! Which paint color to go with travertine floors

Jerry Wu
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm having some dilemma picking a paint a paint color to match with the floors of our home. We're going to repaint anyway and thought might as well pick a new color. What's a good color to go with this type of floor? Or should i go with an off-white to make the floor tiles be the "color" in the room. Travertine wasn't our top choice for floors but we also don't want to rip the whole thing out. This is a large room with high ceiling and plenty of natural light. Thanks!

Comments (54)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

A warm white will work the best

• Related Discussions

nedd help choosing a paint color to go with my oak jacobean floor

Q

Comments (3)
    before you repaint, try glazing your mustard with water-based faux glaze mixed with raw umber-maybe about as dark as a light chocolate milk. Try it on a small area like between a window and a door and if you like it (and I suspect you might), either hire it out, or diy.
    ...See More

HELP! What color should we paint our kitchen cabinets to go with floor

Q

Comments (12)
    paint the uppers only, a white or mushroom....[putty]…..I think the bottom cabinet area will work with the floor then. The layer of wood cabinetry on the walls is very "heavy" , visually.....regardless of what floor exists. A change at eye level[walls] will change things in a big way. And the wood cabinets lower down will actually be good, as an "anchor" for your space. And get some runners/mats. You lack base drawers..at some point a replacement will come into your discussions..... so extra trouble of painting them isn't worth it.
    ...See More

What cream paint to go with cherry cabinets & travertine tile?

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a kitchen with cherry cabinets, travertine backsplash, beige tile floor, and white trim. I want to paint the walls a cream. What paint color would be best with these?
    ...See More

Help! Which paint color to go with travertine floors

Q

Comments (10)
    If you're looking to brighten up your walls, we love Chantilly Lace Benjamin Moore. One of our clients has travertine throughout the home and we are panting walls chantilly, cabinets Pale Oak Ben Moore, and to make the island "pop" we are using Iron Ore Sherwin Williams!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

#3 looks like your current wall color. #1 will work, but again, it's almost the same as what you have. don't like any of those yellows, or golds, or the one on the end w/the green tone.

do an off white or something different. these will work w/your flooring and give you a bit of a change

• Jerry Wu
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all! I'm thinking 1, 3, 5 seems to be the best choices. And then maybe do the trim / doors /blinds in an off white color.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

isn't 3 almost identical to what you have up there now?

• Jerry Wu
    Original Author
    5 years ago

3 is very similar indeed. We just moved in which is why we are repainting - to give it a new home feel. There are also spots in the house where the color is fading. Is it bad that it's too similar?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

not bad,,,just thought you might have wanted a bit of a change. How big is the actual space you're painting? do you have a pic showing the entire room?

• Jerry Wu
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Beth! This is how the room looks like when the prior owner still lived there. It’s vacant now. :) the entire downstairs including the kitchen is the same wall color and floor. Kitchen cabinet is like a Mediterranean style with kind of a creamy white paint.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

ok,,i see what you mean now. it's not a bad color. if you like it and it will go w/your furniture you're bringing in, then go ahead!

I would like to see you do something w/that staircase though. everything as it is just blends into each other. no real contrast.

Are you going to stay w/that Med. theme?

have you considered replacing the railing, or painting it, or maybe bringing in iron spindles instead of that white wood?

• Jerry Wu
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That’s a great idea Beth! Definitely gotta do something with that railing. The picture with the metal rod looks good. I was never big into the Mediterranean style but I think it’ll work with these travertine floors :). Thank you!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Jerry,,I agree. the Med is so heavy looking. I found a few photos w/the travertine and different color combos.

I wanted to show you what a bit of contrast would bring to that room. since you have such high ceilings and open space, don't be afraid of doing some dark elements. (you aren't keeping those drapes and valances, are you??)

look at the dark woods, black, warm grays, with the travertine. don't focus on the style so much as the colors.

ditto here too. rather than continue w/the taupe wall tones, look at a darker gray that matches your flooring. love these almost black drapes (black and travertine are stunning together),,,the crisp white trim, notice the rug, the neutral chairs,,

little more modern w/the horiz railing system,,,but notice the darker wood elements and charcoal color furniture.

if you went w/an off white, brought in some of the warm brass elements like the lantern style chandelier..

again,,,warm whites, medium grays, iron railing, furniture w/some dark contrast elements.

btw,,,if you need to have the flooring freshened up a bit, a marble floor restoration guy can come in and give it a good cleaning, polishing and sealing. will look brand new.

I like this decor too, warm white walls, linen look furniture, wood blinds (you could also do some woven wood blinds for texture) and a sisal or jute rug. bring in colors you like w/pillows and art.

very light walls and furniture and they made the staircase dark.

hope this gives you some ideas, Jerry. sorry if I rambled on!

• Jerry Wu
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Wow Beth you’ve provided AMAZING insight. Thank you! I feel much better about it and am thinking that first paint color in the swatch will work and then like you said, accenting with contrasting pieces throughout. :)
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

jerry that tone in #1 is fine, but I'd do less taupe/pinky/nude color, and go with more of an ivory off- white.(if you want to go light)

the last four pictures I just posted, above, don't have that 'pinky' tone to them. that travertine has a tendency to have a pink-ish tone to them anyway,,,I wouldn't enhance that. go for more of the ivory/off white tone in that stone.

Beverly gave you the names of some good off whites that would work. try those samples

some others,,top two BM

SeaPearl

Lacey Pearl

Alabaster.

with these, you can bring any other neutrals in your rugs, furniture (with the pinky/taupe tones,,,it won't look as good) and your darker espresso or black accents.

• Jerry Wu
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here’s Dover white in the kitchen. Do you think it’ll work for the living room as well? My concern is the living room is big with high ceilings and I’m not sure if there’ll be too much white in a space like that.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

it all depend on what else you're bringing to the party. you're going to need artwork, drapes or blinds, and some nice furniture to ground everything.

why don't you take a look at home on here and search two story ceilings, or vaulted living rooms,,,,get an idea of what others have done

• paige07l
    5 years ago
    Hi what color Paint is the Wall in this picture? Having a terrible time finding a more up to date color to use with travertine floors. I’m looking for a Greyish tone.
  • Allison0704
    5 years ago

It really depends on your lighting, but I used SW Moderate White in the kitchen/breakfast room. Also use F&B French Grey in the MB, powder and laundry rooms.

• sharifor
    5 years ago

Jerry, what did you decide for colors? I am having the same dilemma. Similar house, mine's in Southern California. I have travertine floors throughout the house and bathrooms (Bedrooms are carpeted.) and the walls are a similar color. Now that we've been here awhile, it's a bit dated and boring. I need some new, but neutral ideas, but not grey.

• luannjohnson
    5 years ago

I’m so glad to see this question here as I’m struggling with travertine in Arizona. I dislike the random pitted variegated nature of the stone. Current paint is a cool white leaning toward taupe and I want to warm it up. It’s a huge light filled open living room and I’m leaning toward blanched coral or warm white with just a hint of blush - like the AZ Sky during winter. Anybody done blush or very light coral with travertine instead of the more beige yellow tones?

• Sang Suh
    4 years ago

I actually love travertine floors. They are timeless like hardwoods. I have seen pictures of all travertine bathrooms that look as modern and sleek as Italian porcelain. The warm white or off white colors look airy and modern, but can go tropical too with the right accents. Trying to match the pinks or flesh tones can be disastrously dated, but there are still many other options. Bumping up the contrast of lights and darks will also counteract the tendency towards blandness.

• PRO
    KLHome Staging, LLC
    4 years ago

Off white tones would look best with the undertones in the floor so it doesn’t blend or look too much the same. I know it’s not on the wall but absolute grey or agreeable grey would be a more modern color to go with the flooring.

• Natalie Manzitto
    4 years ago

What about SW accessible beige?

• salonva
    4 years ago

I am not sure why this came up in my feed, but I am curious anyway as to what wall colors people decided on with travertine. So many on here have travertine backsplashes if not flooring, and curious to see what people are doing now.

In my last house, I had travertine backsplash, and used BM Shaker Beige. It worked nicely, but maybe for these times, it might be too tan.

• Donna Hennings
    3 years ago

I just purchased a home with travertine and painted the base of the house Sherwin Williams aesthetic white and it is beautiful! I love it! It neutralizes the space to add color in other ways.

• Donna Hennings
    3 years ago

I should have clarified, travertine floors.

• hbeing
    3 years ago

fyi my travertine floored bathroom is painted a milk chocolate brown. warm and cozy. Kitchen has trav counter and backsplash w/chestnut brown paint (it's an open kitchen w/very little wall space. opens to dining room which is an off white.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

I am not sure why this came up in my feed, but I am curious anyway as to what wall colors people decided on with travertine.

Old posts pop back up every now and then.

This redux is timely because I just read this awesome blog post by Carla Aston. Oh Travertine, What Do We Do With You Now.

I agree with Carla. I like to throw bold navy, peacock, carmel, cognac, and turquoise is especially pretty with travertine. My last house had travertine floors and bathrooms we all tiled to the ceiling in travertine. Personally, I like white with it. White towels, white rugs in the bathroom. Trim and doors throughout were SW Extra White.

• bkwed
    3 years ago

Hi Lori - Do you recall what paint color you used on these walls? I have very similar floors in my bathroom, and I really like the wall color with the flooring. Thanks!

• Barb McGrath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’m struggling with updating bathrooms with travertine up the walls and topped off with a decorative old world Mediterranean trim. They have speckled granite coutertops that will be refreshed with white quartz and square sinks but the tile trim is a problem. I think that Alabaster or Lacey Pearl from BM that Beth H recommended will look fresh. I used BM Picnic Basket (blue/green on the living/dining/hallway walls with white trim and white plantation shutters and it looks amazing. It took all the pink tone away from the travertine.

• Donna Hennings
    3 years ago

Not much you can do about the old world trim but replace. A picture would be helpful.

• salonva
    3 years ago

I have that flooring in my kitchen and powder room. In my kitchen which I just remodeled but kept the floor, I used SW Moderate White and it looks really nice ( the counter is the star so this is a bit mild but nice).It's really a soft color and seems like it has more tone that Lacey Pearl (which does look very nice too).

Just throwing out some suggestions.

For my powder room, I am thinking of SW Sea Salt which is similar to BM Picnic Basket (but much lighter). That sounds beautiful @Barb McGrath.

• Barb McGrath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion of Moderate White. I may go with that, I do like it better than Lacey Pearl now that I got a chip. I also like Aesthetic White. I'm thinking a dark teal for the vanity like SW Still Water or SW Sea Serpent. The SW Sea Salt is a great color! @salonva

This is a picture of where the living and dining room come together to give an idea of what I'm already working with (Picnic Basket).

Paint colors that blend with Picnic Basket in the middle.

Vanity I want to paint and it will have white quartz top and square sinks.

Tile border in master bath with travertine on the walls. I don't like this look at all.

Better picture of the master bath but the mirror is different now. I think I'll keep this vanity wood. There's nothing wrong with it, just not my style.

Better picture of the second bath that I am going to paint the vanity and walls and removed the shower door. Will go with a bright shower curtain.

• Barbara McGrath
    3 years ago

Done!

• Barbara McGrath
    3 years ago

• Donna Hennings
    3 years ago

Perfect!

• winer812
    3 years ago

We painted SW origami white and love it with our travertine floors !

• Barbara McGrath
    3 years ago

Origami looks like another great option. So many different whites!

• jmt0156
    3 years ago

Barbara, your bathroom travertine wall tile looks almost identical to what’s in mine...what paint color did you end up using in there?

• Rochelle Roman
    2 years ago

What is the first color?

• Brandi McFadden
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What’s a good paint color to go with these travertine floors?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Brandi, any of the taupe shades, charcoal grays, sage tones, gray blues whites that lean on the pink side or yellow, depending on the hue of the stone

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

This is the paint I used in my home.

• Brandi McFadden
    2 years ago

Are yall able to see my photo?

• Brandi McFadden
    2 years ago

• Brandi McFadden
    2 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Brandi, this is an old post that belongs to someone else. if you're going to keep adding pics and comments, please start your own post.

1. you'll get more help because more people will see YOUR question and not the original question.

2. you'll get more help!

• Brandi McFadden
    2 years ago

Thanks

• Donna Hennings
    2 years ago

I feel that wall color is to close to the floor color, not enough contrast. I would choose a much lighter wall color. I used Sherwin William 7935 Aesthetic White and love it.

• twink06
    last year

@donna Hennings I’m leaning toward aesthetic white. What color did you use for trim paint? I’ve got to pain trim, cabinets and doors. I’m leaning toward alabaster for that. It’s not alot of contrast. I don’t want to go darker or on walls. But also can’t go whiter on cabinets as kitchen has the brown/beige/cream/gold granite and a lighter travertine backsplash. Plus of course travertine on kitchen floors (living room has dark walnut hardwoods)

• V M
    last year

@Donna Hennings can you share a pic of aesthetic white with your travertine?