SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasminegal

Blooming in May'18

jasminegal
5 years ago

Finally some action in my neck of the woods. Warm temps and plants are responding :) My bloomerang dark purple lilac is a stunner in looks department. Fragrance is not wafting like the big lilacs but it does have a moderate fragrance.

Comments (30)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    5 years ago

I was hoping someone would start a May thread!

I'm finally getting to sniff the sweet scent of Reseda odorata.

It's good but I'm still preferring the scent of Matthiola longipetala subsp bicornis. I brought it into my bedroom the other night and the scent was amazing.

• blutayle
    5 years ago

Some just starting and some just fading but the parade continues....

Milt. Emotion Angel 4N....after a few days every corner of the house smells from just these two blooms...and the buds even had an incredible diamond dust that reflected sunlight to make it look like it was glowing...

Had a meltdown at Lowes and bought not one...but 5 Aimee Gardenia Standards....I don't know what happened...they just look too perfect like they are fake...

First Alba bloom of the season...

Some ridiculously fragrant Phals....

Excited as the Aer. Houlletiana and Odorata are spiking, and waiting for the Yellow Champaca and Milky Way tree to bud up.

Can't believe the Cym. Tracyanum flowered a second year....seems to like the Tampa climate displaying all its hairy glory...

• Related Discussions

Central Indiana Plant Swap, Sunday, May 18th

Q

Comments (4)
    Time is growing near! This Sunday! I'll be bringing a great many plants, some left over from a fund-raising plant sale this spring. Some of my contributions include: Hosta Ventricosa Daylily "Stella de Oro" Purple Coneflower Sedum "Autumn Joy" Obedient Plant Thyme Sage Parsley "Coronation Gold" Yarrow Northern Sea Oats (ornamental grass) Rudbekia (Black-eyed Susans)"Goldstrum" "Aphrodite" amaryllis Aloe vera Hollyhocks Probably even more as I see what I can dig up before Sunday! I'm looking for Shade plants: Named, or at least variagated, hosta Lungwort Lamium and False Lamium Coral Bells, all types Astilbe, all types Bleeding heart Columbine Lily-of-the-Valley Variegated Bishop's Weed/goutweed Not shade plants: "Thai Dragon" hot peppers Herbs, especially Lovage And just about anything interesting! See you Sunday, rain or shine! Indyrose
    ...See More

UMass Extension Landscape Message May 18, 2012

Q

Comments (0)
    UMass Extension Landscape Message May 18, 2012 "Winter Moth - this caterpillar is quickly nearing pupation in the greater Boston area, North and South Shores. Cape Cod remains a bit behind. An application of a product that contains Spinosad as the active ingredient should provide excellent results at this time and throughout the caterpillar feeding stage. Many pyrethroid insecticides are labeled for caterpillars as well. Avoid spraying apples and crabapples with Spinosad or pyrethroid products if they are in bloom. Pyrethroids can be very harsh on pollinators, such as bees. Spinosad products are toxic to bees at the time of application but this threat diminishes significantly 24 hours after application." Claire
    ...See More

I'll Show You Mine, If You'll Show Me Yours, Friday May 18th

Q

Comments (4)
    oldgardner.....beautiful! Carol Mackie Daphne, belongs to my neighbor, I did purchase one...
    ...See More

I'll show you mine if you show me yours Wed May 18

Q

Comments (4)
    My african violets are finally blooming. I moved them to a different window and they took off!! The white hairs are from Rocket! :)
    ...See More
  • jasminegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Love that bud blutayle. It really looks as if someone dipped that bud into diamond dust. Beautiful capture!

• scott_madison Zone 5a- Madison, WI
    5 years ago

Blutayle... I completely understand your temporary insanity regarding gardenias. I work at a garden center and we received our Monrovia shipment this week of flowering tropicals. Included were the gardenias. I spent a lot of time picking out a couple... Then putting them back. Gathering up a few more... Then putting them back. Trying to convince myself the last thing I needed was yet another gardenia. I finally ended up buying ONE. My justification was it was an 'August Beauty'.... A variety I do not yet have!! But I am of the belief one can never have too many gardenias blooming in the summer!

5 years ago

A lot of white but they all smell good.

Philadelphus 'Snowbelle' looks ratty most of the year but when it blooms it almost makes up for it.

Rosa 'Sombreuil' has a lovely tea scent.
    Brunfelsia gigantea has one lone bloom that smells amazing.
    Finally a pot of old fashioned vining petunias that I over wintered down in the basement is pumping out its vanilla scented goodness.

• jasminegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My roses are just starting to put on a show! Graham Thomas with its wonderful butterscotchy yellow is stealing the show

Wollerton old hall is spreading its lovely fragrance. And what a fragrance it is. I like roses but due to its susceptibility to all insects and diseases I go away from them. But after these fragrants want every single fragrant rose out there. Lol!

• jasminegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mr. Lincoln blooming..I love its color so much

My first jasmine of the season

Honeysuckle goldflame

5 years ago

Looks like you've got some nice goodies to sniff!

My Brunfelsia gigantea has 4 or 5 blooms open and they smell amazing in the humid hot air.

My sambac jasmines are also starting to bloom. I love watching the Belle of India blossoms open in the evening.

• scott_madison Zone 5a- Madison, WI
    5 years ago

I guess I just don't understand the fascination everyone has with Brunfelsia gigantea. I grew one a few years back because I had read about the wonderful fragrance it has. All summer it grew lustily and I was thrilled to see flower buds develop. When it finally bloomed I was sadly disappointed. The fragrance had an overwhelmingly fetid scent to it. Almost with undertones of decaying meat. I didn't find it in the least pleasant. So... Out to the curb it went where it was scooped up by a passing motorist. Good riddance! I'm not usually so opinionated about floral scents. Most of them I find pleasing... And some I simply adore... Gardenia, citrus, rose, lilac.... But definitely not Brunfelsia gigantea... Even out of doors.

5 years ago

Haha. I understand, Scott. There's been many a plant that tons of people like but smells awful or meh to my nose. Of course I'm wondering if your Brunfelsia gigantea was truly B. gigantea and not another brunfelsia. I was disappointed with B. nitida. B, americana, B. isola, and B. australis though it has a sweet grape soda like scent but it didn't wow me enough to bother with all the trouble of keeping it alive over the winter. Anyway my nose doesn't detect any fetid scents from B. gigantea. It's definitely one of my favorite scents.

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Giant Burmese Honeysuckle. Been waiting on this one for a while, very exciting. Nice typical honeysuckle scent that wafts lightly around the back porch. I love this plant.

Hoya skinneriana blooming again! 3 umbels this time. 2 pictured.

This small pot of Aloysia virgata gives off such a strong scent. Smells delicious, like a candy store.

A nice ruffled cluster on Don Juan.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    5 years ago

I don't know what this is now. Its supposed to be Mali Pikul (or lotus petal jasmine). Very fragrant.

• jasminegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Dar to me it looks like arabian knights..doesn't look like my mali pikul.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    5 years ago

Jasminegal here is another flower from the same plant. Weid huh?

‘prince promise’ is a longiflorum-oriental hybrid but has the scent more like longiflorum

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Alas, I finally am able to smell this Chloranthus spicatus. I got this as cuttings several years ago (from Robert or Kem?) and never smelled anything. I think maybe growing it in a plastic pop-up greenhouse brought out the scent by adding extra humidity. It's exactly like Aglaia odorata.

• jasminegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Now it looks like mali pikul Dar :) its indeed a weird plant!

• jasminegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Finally some jasmine action in my woods. Multipartitum started blooming and what a fragrant beauty it is.

My ponderosa lemon has so wonderful fragrant blooms. Hopefully some lemons this year.

Scentsation honeysuckle..could only detect fragrance once and then nada..

Got this groovy grape buddelia recently..it is definitely a stunner with fragrance and that violet color

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Rangoon creeper just started full flush

Radermachera kunming got upgraded to a big pot ;)

I love the nectar on Hoya skinneriana

Hoya compacta showing off, more umbels not pictured.

Tahitian gardenia blooming one flower at a time and it's annoying ;P

One stray flower on Miami Supreme, I wish it would flush again.

Chrysler imperial never stops blooming!

I forgot to add this picture of B. lactea in full flush. Growing almost like a bonsai.

5 years ago

Okay. I'll stop being lazy and contribute. Laugh.

I loved the scent of Buddleia 'Groovy Grape'. Sadly I lost mine but it's not like I don't have a ton more. :)

Buddleja 'Pugster Amethyst' is finally blooming. It takes forever for the buds to form and finally open but I'm really impressed with the huge size of the blooms on such a short plant. At first the scent was a little glaring but it's now more mellow.

Philadelphus 'Innocence' has been pumping out its fruity scented blooms. The pollinators love it. Saw some small bee working the blooms with its pollen sacks full.

My Fortunella obovata 'Fukushu' finally bloomed. The scent was light but nice. Hoping future blooms will have more of the intense citrus blossom scent I'm familiar with.

My Jasminum sambac 'Double Belle of India' has been throwing 3 layer flowers. It's pretty cool. Scent can be good to light depending on what time you sniff them.

Or is it 4 layers? Meh. I don't know. I'll leave it to people smarter than me to figure it out. ;)

Almost time to start a June thread!

5 years ago

One more thing. Begonia 'Fragrant Falls Peach' that I got from Burpee has been blooming. So far I haven't detected any scent though my friend said he detected a light scent early in the morning.

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Lookin good Robert! I really like the look of the Philadelphus. May has been good to all of us!! I'm excited for the June thread because I've got buds on my brugs, grand duke, and cashmere bouquet

5 years ago

Yay! Can't wait for your elegant scent reports. They're much more descriptive than my crappy scent descriptions. Laugh.

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Hahaha thanks Robert!! I'll be sure to describe the scents. I'm most excited to smell brugmansia 'golden lady'. I hope I love the cashmere bouquet scent as well.

• jasminegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Robert glad you posted pugster amethyst. I bought this year pugster periwinkle, white and pink. Just starting their blooms. That double belle is stunning. Is this the one you got from a store? My mom has the same one blooming at her place in India :)

Tom waiting for your fragrance report. My cashmere bouquet is a delight when it blooms.

5 years ago

I think my favorite Pugster butterfly Bush is probably Pugster Blue. There were so many butterflies on it in the nursery at work last fall. Mine has flower buds forming but I'm sure it will take weeks to bloom.

The Double Belle Jasmine is one I got from Bunti off ebay a few years back. It seems all my Jasminum sambacs have tons of flower buds right now much to the delight of my nose!

• jasminegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was looking for pugster blue but couldn't find it..but did find blue chip jr at local lowes. So happy that I have all colors covered for now. Have the bicolor too..lol :)

Meanwhile my abe darby is getting ready to bloom. Same plant but different color buds.

Graham thomas in full bloom mode

Tom I got to smell oklahoma rose at lowes and its stunning. Only if I had the place for another red rose it would have come home with me.

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Jasminegal, is yours the pink or white one? I have the white one. Great pictures by the way. Graham Thomas is beautiful. Oklahoma is my favorite! Mine looks anemic right now, I think it needs iron. I think you should make room for one ;) I wish I could have 10 of just that rose, ha!

• jasminegal
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Mine is white too Tom. It has tinges of pink though when it is abt to bloom. Lol Tom only if I had room for even one plant I would have got it :) But definitely in my list for next year!

• tom_d1026
    5 years ago

Jasminegal, I was surprised when I saw the buds turn dark pink. I don't know how long they'll take to form and open, but it seems like it's taking a while! I know how it is. I have space, but I need to organize all the random pots scattered around the backyard. That's why I've only been buying hoyas lately because they don't take up much space :)