SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockwhisperer

Jerusalem Artichokes!

Several years ago, I was given a start of "Stampede" Jerusalem Artichokes (aka sunchokes). They were said to cook up crisp and not limp or mushy like some I'd had before. When I began to be able to harvest, I discovered that was quite true, and I was happy about that. I used them in place of water chestnuts in casseroles and some of them I used raw: peeled, grated, and combined with grated carrot and chopped onion for a nice little side-salad. I liked this variety better than any other. When we moved, I brought enough with me for a nice start and then I decided where I had planted them was hard to keep watered. They will survive without much care, but they will always be more productive if they are regularly watered and if the weeds are pulled away from them. If they are watered well enough to be healthy enough to bloom in late summer, they grow thickly and are covered in bitty sunflowers. Quite attractive and the goldfinches and other small birds love the tiny seeds. They have some invasive habits though, and the birds also encapsulate some of the seed they eat in little "poop pellets" so you might have chokes coming up in unexpected and unwanted places.

So, I moved the sunchokes to a bed we had dug for a tree and the tree had died. The only problem was, Hubs wasn't on board with that. And unbeknownst to me, he was routinely mowing over this spot. I had been ignoring them as they were where they could mostly fend for themselves had it not been for being mowed over repeatedly, and was feeling very sorrowful about having lost my sunchokes.

Today Hubs came in with a big grin on his face that said, "I am OUT OF THE DOGHOUSE!!!" and shared with me that he had seen sunchokes coming up where they are supposed to be. There are not many left. So I'm going to try growing them in a pot until the population increases Maybe I will like how that works so well that I'll just move them to a bigger pot.

I'm so glad not to have lost them completely.

Here's a site that contains more information about sunchokes:

https://www.healwithfood.org/health-benefits/jerusalem-artichokes.php

Comments (7)