SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

First two ‘Sweet Mademoiselle’ blooms about to open!

Lisa Adams
5 years ago

My ‘Sweet Mademoiselle’, purchased locally is just about to open her first two buds. She’s the last of the three Romantica roses I purchased and planted at the same time to bloom. Her buds are quite bright! (Please don’t let them be orange.) I do remember that ‘Boscobel’s’ buds gave me bit of a scare, too. Boscobel opened to a nice pink with coral undertones. Here’s the bud pictures. It’s suddenly very warm here, so they should be opening very soon. Lisa

Comments (84)

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Lol! My Sweet Mademoiselle is gone, gone, gone! Some of you may remember that I sang “Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead, The Witch is Dead.....” Mine was a tolerable color in her spring flush, and HORRIBLY garish the rest of the year. I couldn’t get anyone to take her home, so she finally went to the great nursery in the sky. (As far as I’m concerned, she belongs in the OTHER place, to torture the lost souls there:) I couldn’t stand mine, despite the wonderful fragrance, abundance of blooms, and healthy plant. I don’t remove many roses, but once one has offended me too many times, I nearly obsess over it. It’s like I can’t help myself. Every time I looked at the backyard, Sweet Mademoiselle seemed to be taunting me with her lurid colors. I likened her color to an artificially flavored and colored kids candy, and my eyes were drawn to her every single day. She was in a tough spot for me to get to, and I couldn’t remove her myself. I finally had one of my sons remove her. Thankfully, all the Dr. Huey rootstock came out as well.

Now that I think about it, perhaps that spot is where the “orange offenders” end up. I once “accidentally” ordered ‘Louise Clements’. (Long story, but I ordered LC from my hospital bed after something was put in my IV. I was so confused that I thought I had found the elusive ‘Augusta Louise’ on Heirloom Roses site.) I was so upset with myself about ordering Louise Clements that I neglected it in its band size container. That rose just wouldn’t die! I later potted her into a larger container out of pity. Fast forward 5 months, and I had a helper remove a 60 foot long hedge of Texas privet. He turned the length of it into a raised bed for my roses. On planting day, I set them all out in the order I wanted them planted. Somewhere near the end of planting day, I needed to go inside to rest for about 30 minutes. I thought to myself, what could go wrong? I had buckets of my prepared mixture by each hole, and had demonstrated exactly how each of the remaining roses should be planted. It had been a hard day for me, helping and preparing everything. When I came back outside from my little rest, I nearly dropped the tray of water, ice, and fruit that I was carrying out for him. He had finished, and was eager to show me how nicely it turned out. HOWEVER, there was an extra rose planted in the raised bed. I asked him about it, and he stated that there was “too much empty space in that spot”. He went on to explain how he’d looked through all my potted roses and had chosen “the most beautiful rose you have.” How he found Louise Clements hidden away in the side yard, I’ll never know. There were plenty of other roses he could have chosen from, that were far more accessible. Many were on the patio, just feet away from where he was working. He was so eager for my approval that I just couldn’t burst his happy bubble. I expressed my gratitude and joy for the beautiful job he’d done. Louise Clements was in the exact same spot that Sweet Mademoiselle was eventually planted. Maybe that spot is doomed. Lol

I’m truly glad some of you are happy with Sweet Mademoiselle. I just couldn’t stand the site of her neon orange blooms after her spring flush. My roses bloom nearly year-round, so that’s way too long to see blooms I can hardly bear to look at.

This arrangement contains Sweet Mademoiselle buds from her first flush of the season. I gave them to my mom when my parents came over for Mother’s Day lunch. Sweet Mademoiselle was at her best.

I know the photo below doesn’t look that bad. I must have posted the most sickening colored pictures directly to a post, or deleted them.

I admit that I’m being extremely hard on this rose. I tried to like it. I really did.

I even planted zinnia seeds in colors that I thought might help SM blend in. I just couldn’t like her. I love Princess Charlene de Monaco. I had expected Sweet Mademoiselle to be a pinker, slightly coral version of Princess Charlene de Monaco. In MY garden, she most certainly was not. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh my goodness! Kristine and Ben’s comments came in while I was busy with my lengthy story! I’m laughing like crazy at the thought! It would be QUITE the surprise to find Sweet Mademoiselle back in my garden again. You guys might as well add Louise Clements while you’re at it. That would really top it off! Lisa

• Related Discussions

When do you expect your first fully open blooms?

Q

Comments (21)
    Ah, PTPulley..."HI"...waving vigorously! Actually, I am up on the top down near the south end, but I used to live at Ellisport, right across from you. Come over and see my dahlias when they are all blooming :-) How many do you grow? I have about 190 this year and sell the flowers at my flower stand. Thus enabling me to buy more and more interesting tubers each year Loved your hint on ripping stakes from cedar boards. We are going to try that ourselves. Right now I have a crazy collection of bamboo stakes, metal fence T posts, and bean poles and those green plastic covered metal ones that bend at teh wrong time. How I would like a nice patch with posts all the same size , and ones that won't rot in 2 or 3 years.
    ...See More

First two daylily blooms and my roses.

Q

Comments (16)
    Rita, your roses are spectacular!!!! Mine are just starting and will be in full bloom in about 2 - 3 weeks and I can't wait. I lost a few over the winter, the most I've ever lost so the 'show' won't be as spectacular this year. I have to deal with the horrible japanese beetles all summer so I won't be replacing them. I get tired of fighting the beetles because they always win. It's good to see your daylilies are starting up because we are all in for a treat! Everything in your yard looks wonderful, as always. Lucky, lucky people passing by and your neighbors to enjoy such beauty. Celeste
    ...See More

Part Two - All First Flowers Open Today

Q

Comments (12)
    Nancy- Westbourne Dad Kirbys Crosscut Saw was a bonus plant from Mary Jane when I bought some others. I had no idea what it looked like until it bloomed. The jury is still out on that one for me. All I know for sure is that it is very different looking. Can't decide if I like that or not LOL! I LOVE ORANGE VELVET. The color just glows :-) I do have a tendency to love certain colors and this one hits it right on the mark. I do have to move it though because I thought I had put it in a very good spot along in the planterbox in the front yard. But it is shorter than the ones in front. So I have a new spot picked out that is in the front row were nothing can get in it's way. Going to move it after bloom season.
    ...See More

Sweet Mademoiselle

Q

Comments (33)
    How ironic that this post would turn up again. I had my son remove my Sweet Mademoiselle about a year and a half ago. Mine was almost always a bright neon color that I couldn’t stand. A few months ago, I noticed a single, really neon bloom amongst the Boscobel blooms. Upon closer inspection, that bloom was coming from a separate single cane. I guess my Sweet Mademoiselle was an own root plant and a tiny bit of root was left behind. It took over a year, but my gaudy, artificial looking SM is back! I can’t believe it. It’s in an awkward place, so I don’t think I can remove it. I may be stuck with her. It’s crazy that she has returned after a year. Sweet Mademoiselle must be one strong rose! I rarely remove roses, but she was one that I truly couldn’t stand the sight of anymore. I don’t know if it’s my soil, the heat, or if I just got one that’s usually a super gaudy color. If she looked like the pictures I posted above, I’d be ok with her. Unfortunately, I remember her only blooming one flush that was a nice color. The rest of the year she was a horrible neon orange. I don’t know what the future holds for my SM, but she clearly wants to stay! Lisa
    ...See More
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You’re right Ben. Someone planted an echinacea out front in the row of roses along the park entrance. I can’t believe it’s still going strong. It’s not a color I particularly like, but I keep imagining someone who lives in an apartment with nowhere to grow anything planting it. I also imagine them coming to walk their dog and admiring “their” plant each time. Call me sappy, but I don’t have the heart to remove it. I can’t believe it’s been thriving there for several years now. The rose behind the mysterious echinacea is Bolero. Since many dogs jump out of the car and immediately lift a leg on the first plant they encounter, I figure the echinacea is taking the heat off Bolero. Just say’n.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

That coneflower does indeed resemble a flowery fire hydrant! I’m sure every doggie would prefer it to Bolero, it probably looks so good because of frequent ‘fertilization’. Even as you were detailing how you got rid of Sweet Madmoiselle, Kristine and I were scheming to get her back in your yard. Along with Louise Clements, you’re just destined to have these gaudy jewels!

Lisa Adams thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Lisa, you're singing Ding Dong The Witch is Dead

Ben and I are singing The Cat Came Back The Very Next Day

This could be a great Stephen King novel , the rose that keeps reappearing

Lisa Adams thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
    4 years ago

Lol! This was hilarious! I was reading the thread without realizing it was from last year...and thinking, “hmmm...I thought SM was the garish rose Lisa got rid of? I guess it was a different garish rose...” Then it was deja vu all over again. And I was wondering why would she pick another one just as loud? Lol! And Ben, you have a great sense of humor! This made me laugh tonight, so thanks!! 😊

Lisa Adams thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

Lisa, I sang the same song when I dug out Princess Alexandra of Kent, a monster bent on taking over the entire rose bed she was planted in. It took me two days. PAoK was a ghastly coral with very few petals in the heat of the summer--a totally different look from spring. As for your coneflower, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't planted itself. I have coneflowers all over my garden, and haven't planted a one of them. They aren't so bright as yours and fit in pretty well in many spots--if not out they go. By the way, your advice is needed in the Evelyn thread above. I was thrilled to see this person needing the advice is named Jemma, my granddaughter's name. It's almost never spelled with a "J", but always a "G". Ben and Kristine, you are one hilarious pair. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked Diane Brakefield
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

I was laughing too, and once I began reading I couldn't stop even though I knew it was an older thread. I wonder what non-gardeners would think about this agonizing over a rose that most would think was pretty nice. However, I so totally understand, and I'm sure I'm not alone. My big "thing" was always making sure the roses wouldn't clash with the scenery and nature-planted hillsides, so anything even close to garish was strictly verboten. Soft and even softer colors were the order of the day, although I allowed Rose Delizy to stay since it was a beloved antique rose. If I were to do it again it would also be on the verboten list. In light of recent events these seem like such small and innocent concerns.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    4 years ago

I think my most hideous rose was Dick Clark .Some blooms started out looking pretty good but eventually turned in to a muddy putrid red

I really wanted to like it because the catalogue picture was so pretty.

It got the shovel and I ordered Double Delight which I should have gotten to begin with

I originally resurrected this thread thinking that I may need one more rose and this could be the one. But after Lisa's glowing recommendation I decided to plant one that I already have coming. Thanks Lisa for saving my shovel from extra work, planting and removing

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Ben - that fruitcake makes me drool. I love fruitcake. :)

Lisa - LOL LOL!!!! and again LOL LOL!!! Oh, and that bouquet that your mom is holding is utterly gorgeous!!! If I could do that...well...I don't know. LOL Wow!!!

Kristine - the cat came back...oh my goodness!!!!! Soooo funny!!!

This is a great thread to bring one's mood up!!!

Lisa Adams thanked rosecanadian
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Carol! I really love making arrangements from my own flowers. That’s why I’m always growing so many things at once. This thread really did give me a much needed laugh in this time of anxiety. Funny thing is that Sarah JUST brought up the whole story after she saw the thread about some people not liking orange roses. We had a good laugh about my “orange rose misadventures” just last week.

I laughed about Ben’s “Fruitcake Romantica” and his hilarious April fools suggestion. Kristine, your “Cat came back, the very next day”, comment had me laughing like crazy too. That’s what I should have been singing when Javier planted ‘Louise Clements’ back in my rose bed! I mean, what are the odds he’d choose the only rose I truly despised? I must say that I didn’t quite feel like singing anything when I saw that Louise Clements had been planted in my long awaited new rose bed. It took everything in me to show only joy and enthusiasm. I’m sure he never could have imagined I’d have a rose here that I really despised. Some of my hatred towards Louise Clements was surely because I was so upset with myself for ordering her in my confused state. I went right to sleep after ordering LC, and forgot all about ordering her. I was just mortified when Louise Clements showed up within days of my release from the hospital.

Sweet Mademoiselle was a far more neon orange than Louise Clements. If I HAD to keep one of them...........boy, I don’t know. Sweet Mademoiselle’s color was far more offensive, but Louise Clements was a constant reminder of my haze of stupidity in the hospital. The fact that I foolishly thought I had found Augusta Louise made my ambivalence towards Louise Clements that much stronger.

Speaking of Augusta Louise, I hate to say that my AL has been blooming in a rather lurid orange. I don’t see any of the beautiful pinks shown in Diane’s pictures. My AL is in a container, so I can easily gift her to Jen (Lilyfinch) if she doesn’t improve her colors.

I SO remember your PAoK, Diane. I’m SO impressed that you were able to remove it yourself. The picture of her root system was incredible. I know I don’t have the strength to do something like that. You’re in amazing shape, Diane.

I really don’t think the coneflower came in on its own. I’ve tried to grow a few out back, but they behave like annuals here. I never see them again after winter. I don’t know if they require colder winter temps, or what. They aren’t seen growing anywhere around these parts, so we must be lacking something they need. I’d given up on coneflowers, after losing them all, and zero self seeding. The fact that the “Miss Wilmott’s” coneflower was surrounded by a perfect circle of little succulents also convinced me it was secretly planted there. I slowly helped the succulents disappear when I saw that they were trailing ice plants. I will read the post on Evelyn, Diane. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I haven’t been keeping up with the forum as much as usual lately.

Ingrid, I knew you’d understand my feelings towards this rose. You’ve shown me countless times how much we think alike. I started my rose garden by studying what did well for you, and it has served me well. We both prefer softer colors, so it was easy for me to chose roses that did well for you. You really helped shape my garden. I only wish I had the space that you do! I know you two cherish your beautiful spot in the hills, as you should.

I’m glad I saved you some work, Kristine! I’m also glad to have had a small part in bringing a laugh to my friends when we could all use it. Lisa

• Sarah Shoffner
    4 years ago

This thread is hilarious! I’m ready to jump on the bandwagon and give Lisa a drive by fruiting! I’m thinking I replant Louise Clements right next to Evelyn in your backyard. And SM would look great nestled in by your boleros out front😹 That way whether you’re out front or in the backyard you can catch a glimpse of your orange beauties! Or maybe the next time Javier comes to help I’ll slip him a “special rose” to surprise you with😹

Lisa Adams thanked Sarah Shoffner
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

NO Sarah! You’re dangerous! You know how to get in, and would know how to pull something like that off. Just keep this in mind. Since you’ve offered to come take care of me after my hip surgery (whenever things get going again), YOU would be the one removing any Fruitcake Roses that show up around here. Keep that in mind, my dear:) Lisa

• Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

Boy, Lisa, I don't know if I'd trust Sarah. "Drive by fruiting", indeed. I can see the fruitcake roses lined up right now next to Mel's Heritage. This could be a redo of Stephen King's "Misery", only for gardeners. But on to more serious topics....I agree with Carol that the bouquet you made for your mother is exquisite, Sweet M or not. I wonder how I could get a cutting of Augusta Luise to you later this summer--I'd have to sneak it by the Ag authorities. Probably not a good idea, but it would be a way to see if the cutting produced a better color bloom for you. Looking at your bright coneflower photo, I can see how it looks like one of the newfangled hybrids, not the "free" kind growing around here. You've got some odd neighbors--I'd keep an eye on them. If you want, I can send you some coneflower seed later, but I'm not sure you're a conehead like I am. But these plain coneflowers will not act like annuals. How is your Dara doing? I've still got seed for that and purple poppies. I hope you're able to have the surgery before too long. Diane

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 years ago

Wonderful, we have a volunteer, thanks Sarah! Lisa....muahahaha

Lisa Adams thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Lisa - I can't wait to see more of your bouquets!! Yes, thinking you're ordering the wonderful and glorious Augusta Luise...and being euphoric about it with fist pumping in the air...and then the drugs wear off....oh crap. LOL

Sarah - LOL! We're all enjoying this!!

• Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

i want a repeat of this, and she's lookin' good for blooming in about a month. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh Diane, she’s just incredible! My blooms have the ruffles, but that’s about it. Let me see if I saved a picture of my Augusta Luise. I know I sent a few to Lilyfinch, expressing my horror:)

Oh boy! I thought for a minute this was a picture of Sweet Mademoiselle when I came across it. I see that it can’t be SM, because it’s a very recent picture. Sweet Mademoiselle was long gone by the time I took this photo. What is it with that neon orangish color? I would blame it on my soil, but Sweet Mademoiselle was in the ground. My Augusta Luise is in a big pot with extra acid to keep her rootstock happy. As I scroll up and look at my bottom picture of Sweet Mademoiselle, Diane’s beautiful pictures of her Augusta Louise, and my picture of my Augusta Luise above, I’m shocked. Diane’s are gorgeous, while both of mine are the same horrible neon color. What’s up with that? Do yours ever look like my picture of my Augusta Luise bloom, Diane? I kinda doubt you’d put up with that color.

This is to be continued. I’m afraid of losing it when I set it down.

PS. Diane, Sarah is an experienced “drive byer”. She and my Ingrid perfected it in high school. Come to think of it, Ingrid ended up marrying the most frequent subject of their famous drive by trips! Lisa

• Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

Lisa, did your yard get papered by the above guilty parties? Thank you for your so nice comments on my Augusta. And yes, she comes up with the above color at times. I don't mind it all--her blooms are all over the map in color. And the bloom color you show is lovely, I think. I would try planting her in the ground, though, to see what kind of changes might occur. Also, the bloom color seems to be influenced by what part of the season it is, and how far along a bloom is--earlier can be lighter or darker and then change as the bloom matures. It's pretty unpredictable. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

Darker..lighter, I don't care. Diane

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

Oh, Diane!!!!! Truly beyond belief!!!! Truly!!! If I had that in my yard, I'd lay down on the grass afraid I was hallucinating and about to pass on over to the other side!!! Honestly, woman...you can grow tremendous roses!!!!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    4 years ago

Thank you!!! So do all of you, and under some challenging conditions. Diane

• rosecanadian
    4 years ago

:) :) Thanks, Diane!

3 years ago

Ok. So this thread is like "the song that never ends"

But I saw some pictures that Kenneth posted of Sweet Mademoiselle and I think that I have changed my mind about ordering it

Talk about double minded.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

It’s so funny to see that I’m not the only one that struggled with the color of this rose. I’m so torn about this rose... I adore the fragrance... it’s probably at the top 2 favorite roses I’ve smelled in my whole life... it scent reminds me for a sweet ripe peach scent. The shape of the blooms are lovely and the plant it look nice and full. I saw it in bloom at Rogers Garden and would have immediately brought it home with me... had it not been for the color. And it’s not even that I dislike the color... I think it might have just a touch too much orange in it to play well with the whites, blues, lavenders and pinks roses/flowers I’m currently growing. Here are a few pics I snapped of Sweet Mademoiselle.

Lisa Adams thanked Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
    3 years ago

Thanks for the pictures

I like the color actually

I guess if I hate it I can always give it away .

3 years ago

Well, I took the plunge a d ordered Sweet Mademoiselle

We will see what color I get here

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I really do hope you like her, Kristine! I‘m still glad mine is gone. Be ready for a very tall plant, much like Princess Charlene de Monaco. My SM did look pretty during her first flush, but after that I couldn’t stand her color. Funny that Boscobel is close to the same color, yet I’m happy with Boscobel. Boscobel is a smaller bush, so maybe that helps me like it better. No, actually Boscobel doesn’t have that artificial neon orange pink thing going on that I found so offensive in SM. They both smell wonderful, but SM was just lurid and rudely large in my garden. Maybe she’ll stay that softer color for you. I really hope you do enjoy her.

I have a funny story relating to this thread. I had intended to post about it, but life got crazy. Sarah did indeed do some dirty work for Ben and Kristine. I was absolutely shocked until I realized what (and who) had done such a thing. I’m going to submit this and then add a photo. I’ve had huge problems posting lately. Lisa

I went out front one day and saw some of the most lurid colors, ever! As I approached, I was thinking “I’m sorry, “mystery person.“ The coneflower is already pushing my limits. THIS orange mess can NOT stay! I soon saw that they were fake flowers. There was a note down inside .(Please excuse the weeds and crab grass. Bending over has been a problem for a while now. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get down on hands and knees again soon. )

I don’t know how Sarah did it without me noticing it. She lives 5 hours drive away! She stopped on her way further south and gifted me a “drive by fruitcake”. I’m glad removing this didn’t involve digging and hard work! Lisa

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Ho,ho,ho, Lisa. Fake daffodils in August. What fun. I love it. And I love that you're posting and letting the old Lisa shine through. In a while, you will, indeed, be working in your garden on hands and knees. I'm glad my PAoK is gone, and if Kristine will just drive by, I have an Olivia Rose for her. No fruiting, Kristine. I hope temps are moderate for you, Lisa. I can hope. My orlaya has gone to seed, and I'm very pleased with it. Thanks again, my friend. I wish I'd done two sowings, but I'll bet I get tons more next year. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Diane, I’ve admired pictures of PAoK many times, but your story and pictures always brings me back to my senses! I know Olivia is a rose loved by so many here. Somehow Olivia hasn’t reached out and touched that “I must have it” spot in my heart. I have seen some rather nice pictures of her lately, though. Pink roses have always been my weakness. I have so many shades of pink, but I try to add other soft colors for variety. A bright neon orange isn’t the sort of variety I want. I was incredibly confused for a moment when I came outside and saw those fake daffodils out there. I was moving the hose, letting it drip by each rose in that row along the park entrance. I had been out there just 40 minutes earlier, and wondered how I could have possibly missed seeing them. Sarah told me later that she was sure I’d catch her in the act when she saw the hose dripping by a rose there. It was really funny! I’m glad your Orlaya did well! I had loads that I wanted to thin out, but the gophers did it for me. I still have plenty in other areas. Most of mine has gone over to seed now. In earlier years, I found that I could keep them going for quite a while as long as I kept picking them. The plants in afternoon shade lasted much longer than the ones in full sun. I’m finding much of the same behavior with the Dara plants.

I’m finally starting some quick annual flowers to add to the garden. I know it’s late, but it often remains hot until mid-November. I figured I might as well start some in containers on the patio where I can keep a close enough eye on them. Direct sowing is much easier, but in this heat I’d loose track of some and they’d perish in a single ”down” day. Hopefully I won’t be having any more of those days. I’m just still so tired.

I’m slowly getting better, but the emphasis is on SLOWLY. I never expected to heal so slowly and still require home physical therapy at 5 weeks post-op. I thankful that the days of regretting ever having messed with it seem to be over. I can’t wait to have full strength and use of it again. Millie has finally forgiven me for using that scary walker. She wanted nothing to do with me, even when it was parked out of sight.

My Augusta Luise is VERY tall, and very bright. The blooms last an impressive amount of time, even in the hot dry heat we’re having. It’s very sunny and bright outside, but I’ll see if I can take a picture to show her current colors. Nope! It’s way too bright out yet.

I’ll take a picture of Boscobel. Boscobel is shorter, so I can avoid the sun better. Lisa

• Kathryn Shaw
    3 years ago

Sweet Mademoiselle has been my “miracle rose”. I bought it a few years ago as an afterthought when ordering several other varieties. And it is one of the best roses I have ever owned - blooming beautifully all summer long - a great encouragement, blessing, joy :)

Lisa Adams thanked Kathryn Shaw
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Lisa, oh my, time flies since my last post. I hope you're progressing well, and gaining strength, and the garden and kitties are doing just fine. I particularly hope you're not still scaring Millie with the dreaded walker--but better safe with a walker than sorry. Your Boscobel above looks stunning. Does it bloom a lot for you? I love my Bosco, and it's always in bloom. How's the weather for you? We're still quite hot here, though the heat wave finally seems to be winding down. I'm pleased with most of my roses and how they've handled the heat. There are a few toasted exceptions, of course--The Prince and Brother Cadfael, in particular. Olivia does not do well in our dry heat, either. She blooms a lot and they are sad, faded and slightly browned. Love the garden tomatoes and peppers we've been harvesting. I grow quite a few extremely hot peppers, and one not so hot, which we like. It's a Japanese pepper, and my son in law sautes it with soy sauce and sesame oil. Not spicey hot, yum. You eat the peppers like an appetizer or a snack.

Kathryn, your photos are gorgeous, just proving that beauty and nice surprises come when they're least expected. I love the photo with SM next to the mailbox--it's so welcoming to visitors. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I missed the comments after I last posted here. Sorry about that. I haven’t been keeping up with the forum as much as I’d like. I am still getting better, but this hip surgery has really set me back. I’m using the cane when I need to, and don’t need the walker at all anymore. I’m still disappointed with how slowly I’m gaining my strength back. After going to Jen’s (Lilyfinch’s) house on Thursday and grocery shopping with my mom on Friday, I hardly got out of bed yesterday! I was just so exhausted that I couldn’t do anything.

Diane, Millie is truly happy that the walker is gone. I didn’t even have the comfort of her cuddles when I was in the first part of my healing. Even if the walker was parked, she was worried and wanted nothing to do with me. I’m glad for many reasons that I’m done with it.

It’s been cooler here lately Diane. Our high will be 82F today. We had some real heat for a while, and no one appreciated it. I can’t go inside my daughters house to see Cooper Rose, and I can’t handle sitting outside in the heat. I haven’t been in a while, so hopefully I’ll get to go one day this week while it’s still in the low 80’s. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was that my Covid test took 18 days to come back negative. My daughter decided that I could have been exposed during that 18 days, so she didn’t dare risk me coming closer than 6F. I’ve been pretty sad about it. I think the combination of not being able to hold the baby, the slow surgery recovery, and the general isolation has gotten me feeling a bit down. I expected to be fully recovered from this surgery by now, at least. I just need to be patient and also get used to this whole new “virus“ way of life. My parents retirement community won’t let anyone in with a fever, and I keep running one. It’s from the surgery, but I cant expect the nurse at the front gate to just take my word for it. It’s been hard on my mom, too. Seeing Jen (Lilyfinch) twice in the past little while did me a world of good.

On to the roses! Sorry Kathryn for not first commenting on your SM rose. Yours looks a little lighter than mine, but it’s hard to tell. I agree that she is a wonderful bloomer. I just couldn’t like her color after the first flush. Her spring color was beautiful to my eye, but after that she was a tall beacon screaming ”Look over here!” She had a marvelous scent, and held up beautifully in a vase. I just couldn’t get over her color. I think I wouldn’t have minded so much if she hadn’t turned out so differently than I expected. I think once I’m “mad” at a rose, I start to nitpick and judge it harshly. I couldn’t find anything wrong with her vigor and how often she bloomed!

I hate to say that my Augusta Luise has been a bit too bright for my liking most of the time. Funny, both my mom and my eldest son always remark upon her beautiful colors. They like very bright roses, and have nothing against orange. Her blooms last an incredible amount of time on the bush! They don’t look perfect up close anymore, but from a distance they look fine. The blooms last and last. I’m not putting her in the ground, in case I gift her to Jen. I’m not sure about her colors yet, and it would save all that digging! I SO WANT to love Augusta Luise, but she looks rather lurid much of the time. I rarely see the softer pink/apricot that I wanted. I do love her ruffles which Sweet Mademoiselle didn’t have. I took a picture of her in the late evening a few days ago.

It’s a rather dark photo, and she’s high in the sky. I’ll be cutting that cane shorter once those blooms are gone.

I just took a look at AL and spotted a baby praying mantis on a bloom. Sorry about that sun again.

All your peppers and tomatoes sound wonderful, Diane. I keep toying with the idea of buying a few tomato plants, yet. I think I still have time if I start with plants. Almost all the seedlings I had perished when “someone“ didn’t water when I was unable to. Boy, was I mad.

My Bosco does bloom a lot for me as well, Diane. It isn’t on the drip line, so it depends on me for hand watering. It hand our dry heat like a champ and always has some blooms on it. I’m fine with the color of Boscobel, I’m not sure why I don’t mind the color of Boscobel since it’s definitely in the same family as SM and AL. It could be because I expected this color from Boscobel.

I think I better hit submit. This is exactly the nice long post with pictures that often disappears on me. Wish me luck in posting this! Lol Lisa

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Hi Lisa, it's lovely to see you posting again. I have enjoyed this thread. Sarah sounds a hoot.

Nice that you and Jen can get together, especially just now.

Your AL certainly does look a lot brighter than Diane's photos, and the bloom shape not as pretty. I can understand you questioning it.

Funny about Millie and the walker!

I hope your strength returns soon, and you feel better than ever.

Trish

Lisa Adams thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I'm so glad to read your post, Lisa. I can understand how hard the "virus" life is for you. I am appalled that it took 18 days to get test results. It basically invalidates the test. Will you get another one to reassure your daughter? I want you to be able to hold that precious granddaughter of yours. My granddaughters are having some rough times right now, and it is just killing me. We have been closely touched by the covid thing. I have been quarantining since March 9 and have only gone to three safe places in all that time--otherwise I'm stuck home. Boise and the neighboring area are a big hot spot. My daughter has resigned her teaching job because of the mess being made with reopening the schools. That's enough of this for now.

I understand about the fears we have to deal with when it comes to our kitties (I have a weird "son", Finn, who has similar fear based behaviors as your Millie). So I'm happy the monster walker has been tamed, and Millie is back to her old self. But most of all I'm glad you don't need the thing anymore.

Your Augusta Luise is quite dark, I agree. And the only thing I can think of, which I've probably already said, is to try her in the ground. But I'm also noticing the plants sold by Palatine just look a little different than my AL, and I have no explanation for that. Or am I imagining this?

I hate to mention fresh tomatoes, but we had more of them tonight. But the cucumbers are a disaster so far. Gardeners just can't win all the time. I'm sorry about the loss of your tomato seedlings. Here, we have one shot at a good crop, and then that's it for the year.

I'm thinking of you, and I'm confident that things will only get better and better, and you will soon hold your new granddaughter. Take care.

Trish, hi from covid land. How are you doing, and how is your daughter? I hope late winter is kind to your roses. Are they blooming now? I'm thinking of you, too, and glad you don't live in Melbourne at this time. Diane

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Hey everyone! I just started catching up on this thread.

Lisa - I'm soooo glad that the worst is definitely behind you. You have some healing left to do....but the good stuff is coming. That was really cute about the daffodils!!!

I wish we all could see our loved ones more. I can't see my mom/dad/mother-in-law, sisters, daughters, etc. I really feel for those of you who have grandbabies/grandchildren that you can't hold/see. That's just so unfair.

My Sweet Mademoiselle is only about 6" tall. LOL Straw helped me with it...and it's finally getting new leaves. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it though. It hasn't even got one bloom yet.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Hi Diane, sorry to hear about your granddaughters having a hard time, and your daughter resigning. I don't think I'd cope with the isolation you"re having to do.

I'm impressed by how you have your finger on the pulse! I shop at the supermarket a couple of times a week, and walk Rosie daily in different places. Today I'm meeting a friend at a shopping centre. I'm actually a bit nervous about this, and wondering why I agreed to it, especially as I don't intend buying anything. I haven't been to the supermarket for almost a week, but my daughter says 60% of people were wearing masks, when she went a few days ago. Maybe one or two did when I last went.

My daughter is pretty happy now, thanks. Her life revolves around the 2 Weimaraners. She walks them for about 3 hours a day. She's going to a job interview today. Three half days a week, but it would help to pay the food bill for her dogs!

As for my roses, most of them are on their last legs, though I do have blooms. Many of the Teas keep on flowering through our mild winters. I sawed two huge canes off Ms Tillier last week. They were about 90% dead. About half the bush is left, and it's not thriving! Marie van Houtte is now about half her former size. And so it goes on. But I'm resigned now! I just need to work out what I want to replace them with.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Hi Trish, I'm not alone because I live with my immediate family, including an 18 year old, Jemma, who unfortunately had her college plans shot to !@#$ by the virus. The dorms are closed, and there will be online classes only. She's had a number of online classes and hates them, so she may wait out the year and start next fall--what a mess. She can keep all her scholarships. Her supposed roommate, from Nigeria, didn't even make it into the US. Jemma has been quarantining almost as long as I have, and has gone to just a few safe places. Her closest friend and her family were all exposed to covid, took the test, and isolated. Jemma hasn't seen her friend for a while. My older granddaughter, Clare, and fiance may have covid--waiting on tests. They have been very careful, but I suspect her part time work place as a culprit. I am very upset by this. My daughter has a friend who recently lost her father to the virus. It goes on and on, and I feel it's getting closer. Masks are required in stores and restaurants in Boise, and bars and other businesses have been closed down for quite a while. I've probably gone too long about this. Recently Clare finished illustrating a young adult graphic (no not that kind of graphic) novel; this was one of her first free lance assignments. I'm very proud of her.

I'm sorry to learn about your roses, and it will always puzzle me just what started the whole sickness thing with them. I wish I knew more about the best plants for Sydney's climate--we could plan a new garden for you. I wouldn't be much help, but it would be fun because of all the tropicals you can grow. I recommend tropical hibiscus. I'm such an expert-ha. But I love many of that type of hibiscus. We can only grow the hardy type, and I enjoy them a lot. Boy, your daughter's dogs are getting a workout, and so is she. It's the best way for the dogs to work off all that energy. I wish her success in job hunting. And you take care of yourself. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Hi Diane, I realised you live with family, but it still must be pretty trying to not mix and get out more. How worrying that Clare and her fiance may be positive, and having your daughter's friend's father dying of it certainly brings it close to home. Congratulations to Clare for illustrating the novel! And commiserations to Jemma for her miserable 'start' to college life.

As for the roses, it began with a rose I bought around 6 years ago. I think it infected all the others. I have more and more shade here, so, not suitable for hibiscus. I have grown a few in a previous garden. Camellias are probably the go.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Trish, I am so sorry you had a "Typhoid Mary" rose cause all that heartache and destruction.

Diane, I am so happy you are taking all your careful precautions. This virus could wreak havoc and kill and leave people with permanent damage. We don't need that, as many of us are already behind. How will our gardens make it if we collapse? I fell behind on deadheading and haven't caught up. Diane we need you here, not to mention your family needs you. Apparently vaccine trials on humans are underway. Here's hoping. I hope we can all get vaccinated ASAP.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Thanks, Sheila, for your positive post. I do keep informed on the state of the pandemic (probably too informed), and my science background helps with it all. I predicted how this would go back in March when I voluntarily quarantined myself--and I've been correct all along. The next big wave--at least in Idaho- will be about two weeks after those schools holding in person classes, or a hybrid of classes and online classes, begin just a little later in August for the first ones, and in early September for others. I'm 74, pushing 75 with two underlying health risk conditions, so I don't kid myself about how it goes. My son in law is lucky he can work from home, considering his big job responsibilities for St Lukes Health Care System. Several years ago, he donated a kidney to his nephew, so he is at risk for dialysis if he should fall victim to the virus. I know, as a doctor, you are taking things seriously, and we need you here on the forum (we need everyone), too!

Camellias--I'm so jealous, Trish. We can't grow them here, and I would love to, given the space. Our weather precludes growing camellias, and even hydrangeas are a challenge. Can you grow hydrangeas? That might be another good one. I didn't realize you had increasing shade, which I do, too, from trees I'd love to remove. Thanks for your commiseration with me on the covid troubles. I hope the pandemic stays away from Sydney. Thinking of you and Sheila. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Lisa, please join in if you're able, and I apologize for the hijacking. I hope you continue to progress in healing. What's blooming today in your garden? Most of my roses like the current heat level, and if I pour on the water, they do well and are in bloom. Augusta has been outstanding, and is currently in a major flush, which I've photographed some. But as usual, the photos are not in their file. I've found Augusta makes a great rose for a bouquet. My current experiment is AL versus Austin and Carruth all in bouquets. It's no contest, she's kickint !@#$, and stll looks great while Olivia and Love Song are toast in their vases (Olivia is in the wastebasket, actually). Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

The first photo is Augusta Luise several days ago at the height of our heat wave. What a rose. The next photos are of my "Clown Prince", Wild Blue Yonder, and is he wild with his multicolored blooms. Their color depends on the heat, and he is in full flush with these crazy colors. The second pic shows how he should look in milder weather. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Sheila, I love your 'Typhoid Mary' comment!

Diane, I like your 'Clown Prince' in his multicoloured phase too. Now, get Jemma sorting your photos - I, (with many others!), want to see more.

I do grow hydrangeas, but not very successfully. Lack of water during long droughts explains some of it, but the rest is probably down to me. I have an oakleaf that does the best of any of them, a couple of lace-caps, an Annabelle, (did have two), which struggles to get more than a foot tall, and a Pia Mia. Also a couple of others in pots, which are 4" stubs after several years! I think I'll have to convert my sorry looking 'Tea Circle' into camellias and hydrangeas. There are Australian bred camellias, which are easy for even me to grow.

That's a not very good photo of one them, Paradise Blush - super easy to grow.

Yes, Lisa, I'm sorry too for hijacking your thread. Please join back in. I love your chatty posts.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Trish, that's gorgeous. I love the hint of pink and wish some of the Australian camellias were available here, but I'll bet they are only hardy to zone 8. Your climate is probably hard on hydrangeas just like here. Azaleas and rhodies have a hard time here also, though I'm sure there are many in this area who would disagree. But we aren't Portland, Oregon, by a long shot. Diane

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    3 years ago

I just ordered Sweet Mademoiselle and Love Song. My hope is it looks like all of the images except for yours, Lisa. (Sorry, I do not mean to seem rude, but I feel your frustration as one tries to create a harmonious aesthetic, and then, something goes in that just throws a monkey wrench into the plan...)

Your Augusta Louise is beautiful, Diane!!!

My husband's friend, a U.S. citizen, returned from China back in early March and a few days later, had a bad cold. Because of this, and a bad cough, after self-quarantining for two weeks, I had a telemedicine appointment with my doctor. He ordered the blood test. I wanted to know if I had it, because I would have donated plasma or whatever was needed. The doctor immediately ordered the test, I went to Quest the following morning, and my results were available online the next day... ( no joke...)... This was late April...

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Lynn, the speedy test results are great. There is an "instant" test but it is not as reliable from what I've read, and not available everywhere. I don't think anyone around here has had to wait 18 days, though, like Lisa. I hope you're doing well--Texas is a real hot spot, too.

Thanks for your nice comments, Lynn. I'm a huge fan of Love Song and for all its delicate coloring, LS does pretty well in the heat. Rose colors can sometimes be such a pain like my unlamented Princess Al of Kent. It was like she was two different roses, one in spring and another in summer--ugh.. I haven't regretted removing that rose for a minute. Being a big thug didn't make like her more, either. Diane

recent Love Song pics

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    3 years ago

Diane-

My test was a blood draw versus prick... (antibody test). My doctor said that it would determine if I had been exposed, which was my concern.

Yes, some part of this state is definitely having issues. Things began to spark in parts of Texas with protests in Austin and Dallas primarily, plus people going to bars. Many areas have very little COVID-19 at all, relatively. I am not high-risk, but my parents in CA and brother are. My mother resides in Temecula, CA, which is Riverside County and a hot spot. I will be so happy when there is a vaccine...

I grew 6 Love Song in Las Vegas. I think it was your beautiful L.S. that prompted my first purchase of this rose over 7 years ago... A belated thank you :)

On top of the thuggish growth habit, which I gave it room for, my PAoK had a decidedly pink, and an orange bloom on the plant at the same time... I was hoping for pink...