SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danervin88

80’s MD ranch update

danervin88
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hey guys, first post. Looking for some advice on updating the exterior of our ’85 ranch. Specifically landscaping. It’s a fairly typical tract home. All brick. When we moved in 2 years ago I’m pretty sure the previous owners (of 22 years) didn’t trim or maintain anything at all. Last spring we ripped out everything except for a single American Holly bush (tree!) on the southeast corner. We planted lawn for the time being, and are now revisiting the need for some more attractive landscaping.

We have done some fairly extensive interior renovations, and hope to carry the same style outside to the gardens. Not sure what to call it, but I’d say our tastes include Transitional, Mid-century, Scandinavian, Contemporary etc. very simple. We despise country, traditional, French, basically anything that seems frumpy or too busy.

Im not opposed to ripping out the holly as well if needed. Ideally I would like to use just a few plants. Something VERY low maintenance, with a more architectural feel. I love evergreens and grasses. I’m extremely handy so I’m hoping to tackle most or all of this myself.

Northern Maryland, so I guess zone 6a/6b.

The house faces due East, so only sun through the early afternoon. The south side gets a little more but the neighbors tall roofline does block some.

Ill attach a few pictures at different times of the day so the color and lighting is more apparent. long term the siding will Be changed, along with the gutters/trim and front door.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company