SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mononhemeter

Add a washer & ventless dryer to 2nd floor closet?

mononhemeter
5 years ago

Thank you all so much for your help so far with my 1st floor renovation. I am currently waiting on plans from our architect, but I doubt that I will be able to embark on that this summer since it's already May and I don't have anything ordered, nor tradespeople lined up, nor even a plan! During the school year I am tied up homeschooling, so I am hoping to keep slowly planning and rearrange the first floor next summer.

One thing we hopefully can accomplish this summer is repiping the supply lines to our bathrooms to get rid of the lead in our sinks/tubs/showers. I have a meeting scheduled with the plumber for an estimate, and I wonder if there is any downside to also getting an estimate for adding the plumbing required for a bosch 500 series washer & ventless dryer to the closet adjacent to the master bathroom? Between 4 kids and 2 adults we have a lot of laundry, which I would prefer not to do in the basement. The closet is 28" wide by 3' 8" deep, and lies over the garage and adjacent to the shower. Is it possible that there could be structural problems with adding laundry there or that the vibrations would shake the entire house? Or is there any other reason why this would be a bad idea?

I had also thought of combining the hallway and bedroom closets and stealing a foot of space from the bathroom to create a 3' deep by 9' wide laundry room with the washer/dryer on one side and a counter on the other, but my plan has a weird corner with dead space and also would make the bathroom smaller. I wouldn't mind losing the bedroom closet, since there is another closet (which will be expanded when we renovate the downstairs). If you care to share your opinion -- neither of these, the 1st option, or the 2nd option -- I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Comments (15)