SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmra019

Exterior_remodel_colorchange

Jewel V
6 years ago

Hello- I really can use some help/suggestions!!! Trying to update exterior of this house. I would like to tweak the "cottage" look into a bit of fresh/modern look. I plan to "build out" the thin poles around main entry to make them look like pillars. I also plan to paint with a new color scheme and considering the colors posted below (STEAM for the trim and Bleeker Beige for cedar siding, will NOT remove stone as its expensive). I will have new double door entry and refinish garage doors in dark wood finish. Do you think I can achieve the desired results by making these changes? What would you do? The last pic is just an example but doesnt have to be that. Very open and interested in learning new suggestions. Please help!!! Thank you!

Comments (15)

• awm03
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The Tuscan columns you want -- meh. They look like cookie cutter design, a bit of a decorating cliche. The support posts you have now look far better with the rustic exterior, and aren't the same old same old that too many tack on to their suburban boxes to "update" the look.

Colors are ok, a bit bland. Wood double door & wood garage door would be terrific. Love the stone and overall design of your house -- a real gem! Freshen it & talk with a good landscaper, but don't try to change it too much, please.

• PRO
    Nanke Signature Group
    6 years ago

Beautiful home!

Switching to a neutral palette is a good way to go! Consider a body paint color with a but of gray in it. That will bring the gray of your shingles in for a stronger cohesive palette. Eliminating the shutters or painting them more of a deep navy blue would also help refresh the exterior.

Your plans for darker garage doors and an updated entry door- especially if it stays pretty dark- will help update the home and provide striking contrast!

Happy painting!

SW 6171 Chatroom

SW 6244 Naval

Jewel V thanked Nanke Signature Group
  • Jewel V
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@awm03- really appreciate your honest opinion! Makes sense and yes I needed a reminder on not to change too much. I do want a fresh/modern look. You are correct about columns will look cookie cutter- I didn't realize it. Thanks again for your great input :)

• awm03
    6 years ago

It's a lovely house, jmv vt. Just needs a little freshening :)

I think replacing your current shutters with real board & batten shutters would be a nice touch too.

• Jewel V
    Original Author
    6 years ago

awm03 Love that idea!! do you think the new shutters should be wood finish to match the entry door/garage or something different?

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

I pity whoever paints your house. Doing it in Photoshop was a PITA. This is very close to Bleeker beige and I tried to match your shutters and posts to the door. I'm not sure I like the warm colors with your stone.

Jewel V thanked groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

This is better. I painted your trim a warmer white:

• groveraxle
    6 years ago

And Bleeker beige with navy shutters:

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Do you own this or are you shopping? If shopping, you should move along because this isn't the "fresh/modern" drone you're looking for. Its a charming cottage and while there are things you can do (doors garage) making it fresh and modern isn't one of them.

Jewel V thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Jewel V
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m buying this house eventhough I’m not thrilled with the exterior and because of that I was on the fence for a long time. The floor plan is perfect and overall quality is quite superior. It seats on a 25 acre wooded lot yet close to everything in the middle of the town. I also have to update kitchen and bathrooms. I sure have my work cutout. But it’s a unique property. I can’t/ shouldn’t change the “cottage” style but perhaps a flair of “modern English cottage”?

• Jewel V
    Original Author
    6 years ago
  • Jewel V
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Can this color scheme work to freshen up?

• lisaam
    6 years ago

I like the darker chat room and naval more than steam and beige which seem more bland than fresh.

Jewel V thanked lisaam
  • Jewel V
    Original Author
    6 years ago

One more color scheme option. What do you all think? Does it work for the house I’m buying to give it a fresh look?