SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Help Me Decide - Countertops Modest Remodel

rubyclaire
5 years ago

Note: I also posted this in the Remodeling Forum.

I am torn between two countertop materials in my modest kitchen remodel. I am having cabinets professionally painted, adding hardware and replacing old laminate countertops.

The two countertop materials I am considering are a quartz (Caeserstone Frosty Carrina) and a quartzite (Taj Mahal - Brushed). This in semi open concept - kitchen is open to breakfast nook and mostly open to living/great room. The main living areas and trim are all painted BM Linen White which is a nice creamy white in my space. The rest of the house is a warm mix of whites, creams, browns, seagrass rugs with most of the color coming from oriental rugs, art and pillows.

Why I'm torn:

A. The quartz is very pretty, "cleaner white", lighter overall and will require a different cabinet color - either a white like BM White Dove or something in the taupe/greige family. If I go white, will I make all the other whites in the house look "off". It is a pretty quartz and I'm surprised I'm even considering it since it doesn't feel organic.

B. The Taj Mahal is beautiful and I will be able to do my cabinets in BM Linen White like the rest of the house. It is natural stone and reads beige/green/gray in my space. Feels like a very safe choice. It is about 15% more expensive but that is not a major consideration.

Either will work but I am driving myself (and my DH and DD) slowly nuts. Hoping you all can share your thoughts and help me decide.

Here is a photo of both materials on the flooring next to wall/trim. Appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (27)