SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuttingedgeplants

Truth in Advertising Hydrangea macrophylla zone hardiness

My husband and I started a nursery and I'm working on the plant descriptions (have been for months!).

Currently, I'm struggling with realistic zone hardiness of Hydrangea macrophylla. My inclination is to give it Zone 7a maximum cold hardiness for reliable success. Some being more cold hardy in Zone 6, such as Dooley, Endless Summer, Lady in Red, Twist-n-Shout, and maybe a few others. My thinking is that zone 6 hardiness for other bigleaf hydrangea cultivars is only for advanced, dedicated, and determined gardeners.

However, on this fascinating forum, I'm seeing regular mention of not only zone 6, but of zones 5 and 4! I am having a hard time coming to terms with success in those zones, yet it seems that gardeners are more than willing to take the risk and eagerly struggling to get blooms in those cold zones. I love seeing such passion!

I understand that Endless Summer was discovered growing outside in Zone 4b, but is that realistic for my customers?

Please, dear Hydrangea lovers, give me your advice. Is it best as a retail nursery who wants to present accurate information (even at the risk of missing some sales) to play it safe and list zone 7 (sometimes 6) as the uppermost cold hardiness range for H. macrophylla? I want happy customers and I want new gardeners to be successful.

Or . . . should I write many many disclaimers (and even link back to this forum) about gardeners attempting growth and bloom in zones 6, 5, and 4?

Please send me your advice!

With much appreciation from Zone 8a,

Hillary

Comments (22)