SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosalia_tan53

What Happened to my Shrubs? Please Help Me

R T
5 years ago

Hi all,

I know nothing about gardening, and this is why I am asking my questions in this forum. I moved into my house in December 2016. One of the reasons why we bought the house was because of the beautiful landscaping in the front, with tiered garden beds and beautifully planted shrubs, perennials, annuals, etc. Anyways I have attached three photos, one from May 2016 (house was owned by previous owners), one from last summer July 2017 (the first summer we spent at our house), and one from today May 2018.

1st pic May 2016 (under prior homeowners): As you can see from this photo, the shrubs on the right-hand side of our front garden bed looked full and pretty, and covered almost the entire right half of the bed.

2nd pic July 2017 (our first summer in the house): As you can see, it seems like the same shrubs grew back really small and wilted last year, resulting in our front garden bed looking very bare and ugly (sorry for the crappy pic, couldn't find a better one so hopefully you can still see what I'm talking about).

3rd pic May 2018 (today): Same shrubs continue to look tiny and wilted. Granted we had a very long winter and the weather only recently started to pick up, but if they are healthy shrubs, shouldn't they not look like this today??

Anyways here are my questions:

1) Can someone tell me the name of this shrub? I don't even know what plant this is.

2) Any idea what caused the shrubs to grow back so crappy last year?

3) Do you think these shrubs can ever grow back to the way they looked before?

I am trying to figure out whether to give these shrubs another chance again this year, or to just remove them entirely and plant something completely new. I don't really want to spend another summer in our house with a bare looking garden bed :(

Thank you.

Comments (10)