SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vdphouse

is a kitchen addition feasible here?

Vanessa P
5 years ago
Hi everyone, I made my first post yesterday and got many good suggestions for curb appeal. Now I'm curious about how you'd handle this small kitchen.

The kitchen sink placement is terrible. There is hardly any counter space, especially because the bottom cabinets across from the stove are only 11 inches deep! There's no extra room up for grabs because there is a door to the basement in the back corner... we don't even have space for a trash can! With infant twins this is going to be tight. I will certainly de-clutter and make it work, but it's the one part of the house we are considering investing some serious money in (although it would be great to limit to 60k, we could go higher). We live on the DC border.

One option is to get rid of the bedroom and flip the placement of the kitchen. But with all that work we might as well bump out or build an addition. So a second option is to bump out the kitchen just slightly to give more counters and walking room. However, I'm not sure a bump out would work because of the basement door and not being able to walk out. (see pics in next post). If we need to move the basement exit and do other major changes... we probably cannot consider because I'm guessing price will be well over 100k.

Any input appreciated! all appliances and cabs are new and we would get additional cabs from the manufacturer.

Comments (40)