SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Why just one lamp? Staging vs reality?

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I’m planning a guest room with 2 queen beds. I’ve always loved the look, plus I think it will be very useful in our mountain cabin, especially when hosting girls weekends. I have a group of 4-8 friends that like to travel together. It was originally a book club that morphed into a weekend getaway club!

In my search for inspiration pics I find that most rooms show 2 beds with one nightstand or small dresser between with one lamp on it. And that’s it other than ceiling lighting. In many instances it’s obvious there isn’t room for anything on the outsides of the beds. But in some, there is room for more.

So when 2 friends are sharing the room they have to agree on when they shut off the light? This also means they have to sleep on the side of their bed nearest the center, what if they prefer the other side of a bed?

And when a couple uses the room, my guess is they will pick one bed to share, like in a hotel. This leaves one person on the outside with no reading lamp, or no way to turn on a light for a middle of the night trip to the loo?

So do you think it’s just because multiple lights will look busy in a photo? Or do you think these designers think this is a good idea, that people don’t need multiple lamps in a guest room as they won’t get used?

Example pic

What I was planning so far,

I was also considering this on the wall between the beds. Thereby freeing up the nightstand.

Comments (16)