SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_4498159

Double Wall Oven AND Built-in Convection Microwave

Paul
5 years ago

My wife and I are building a new house and are trying to decide which appliances to go with.

We're currently in a 1500 sq. ft. house with a somewhat small kitchen. It has a 30" free-standing electric range with non-convection oven, a vent hood, and a counter-top microwave we have sitting on an old baker's rack.

We really want to eliminate the constraints that prevent us from efficiently hosting holiday events, birthday parties, etc.

We're considering a 36" gas cook-top, a 36" vent hood, a 30" electric double oven, and are stumped on the microwave option.

Here are the options we're thinking about and would love to here your opinion!

a) We have enough counter space to go with a counter-top microwave like we currently have. We feel that would be an acceptable option. We could also go with a microwave/convection combo for additional flexibility. We think the convection capability would be great for reheating pizza, cooking chicken nuggets, etc.

b) We don't particularly care for the built-in microwaves that are really just counter-top models with a trim ring. This is mostly a matter of aesthetics.

c) We have enough wall cabinet space to go with a microwave shelf and counter-top microwave. While this would work okay, we'd prefer not to have the microwave so high. It would be difficult for our kids to use.

d) We have enough lower cabinet space to go with a built-in microwave or microwave/convection combo. We are particularly interested in this option. We are not, however, fans of the microwave drawers, so we've narrowed it down to the following:

KitchenAid KMBS104ESS, which is a 24" built-in microwave

https://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-%5bKMBS104ESS%5d-5539096/KMBS104ESS/

GE Profile PWB7030SLSS, which is a 30" built-in microwave/convection combo

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/PWB7030SLSS

We're open to other options, especially if there's a 24" microwave/convection combo out there that we haven't seen and isn't a drawer.

We like the idea of having the microwave/convection combo, but I'm a bit hung up on having 3 "ovens." It just feels like overkill to me.

We've considered the wall oven + microwave combo, but like the microwave shelf option, it would be difficult for our kids to use.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (6)