SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amurz

Macy's furniture...Yes or No?

amurz
5 years ago

Talk to me about Macy's furniture. Specifically about there sectionals. I kinda fell in love with this sectional https://m.macys.com/shop/product/radley-5-piece-fabric-chaise-sectional-sofa?ID=1101386&CategoryID=35419&pdpserver=internal&experience=legacy and the reviews looked great but after reading some of the reviews that were rated 1 star I started having doubts. Would love to hear what others have expierenced with Macy's furniture. Should I just try and save more to buy something at a different store? If so, what brands do you recommend? I love the look of some of the Room and Board sectionals but that's a bit out of my price range.

Comments (36)

• User
    5 years ago

What is the warranty? Is it in a local store where you can you try it out for comfort?

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I have purchased leather sofas and my daughter has as well. We are very pleased. My bachelor son has all furniture from Room and Board (including a sectional) and it's not worth the price.

• smalloldhouse_gw
    5 years ago

I bought two sofas at Macys a few years ago and I spent a lot of time on research. We were replacing a sectional that had not held up well and w/a small house and two big/clumsy boys, I didn't want to buy something that would wear badly. I took the reviews seriously but also went and tried out various models. I did not get this one, so I can't speak directly to it. But our experience has been good -- and very consistent with the reviews on the site.

• amykath
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

gw · More Info

I purchased two sofas from Macy's three years ago and they have held up to four cats and me and my husband, many guests sleeping on them etc.

The photo is before I decorated. We had just moved in.

• Marc Cox
    3 years ago

I purchased a sectional that looks much like this one 15 years ago from Macys and it is the only piece of furniture I have ever purchased that has stood the test of time...Beyond one corner of a cushion that was chewed by a dog, the sectional still looks great today, it was our everyday couch for at least 8 years and now is in a less used room. Because of this I am now looking at purchasing the radley sectional for our main living room again. Only reason I cannot use the old one is because of room layout, I have the left handed and need the right handed. If the sectionals they are currently selling are anything like what they were selling 15 years ago (they do look very similar) then I think they are probably exceptional for the price.

• Yayagal
    3 years ago
  • Rishab Kohli
    3 years ago

Is Macy’s furniture better than costco, ashley, and wayfair?

• HU-148438078
    3 years ago

The biggest concern you should have about Macy's furniture is if you need customer service. Our powered reclining sofa does not work, we have called repeatedly on a few occasions a solution was found then they canceled it....more calls, no return calls from management. We are stuck with a recliner that will not recline because we are just out side their service area and they are not willing to make an acceptation to this policy. They knew we lived outside their area. WARNING

• Looki Lu
    3 years ago

Watching this. I have bought furniture from Macy’s and when I tell people that they automatically think ‘cheap furniture’. I have not bought Ashley, wayfair or Costco furniture before so I can’t speak to the quality of those brands (although a friend bought Ashley furniture and cusses every time she talks about it). What I have bought is plenty of items from the Macys furniture department over the years. I have been very pleased with everything. My bookshelves and table are frequently complimented.

My concern is I haven’t bought anything recently and curious as to the current quality and standards. I purchased 4 Macys sofas from 1995-2005 and they looked nice enough that I was able to sell them after 10+ years. My last remaining Macy’s sofa is from 2005 and it looks incredible considering it’s in the playroom and used daily by young kids and dogs. I would buy another one exactly the same in a heartbeat but they don’t carry that brand anymore.

I have bought PB and C&B and they’re just ok. I’ve been told Restoration and Arhaus isn’t any better. Since I don’t want to spend $7k on a living room sofa I am circling back around to Macy’s. I went to the showroom and I like the Radley too. I like that it’s made in the USA (per the sales associate) and that I can choose my fabric. I too saw the negative reviews but they’re still overwhelmingly positive. Based on my previous experience and my 3 friends who have Macy’s sofas, I think I will do it.

• Lala B
    3 years ago

I purchased 2 leather sofas and within 2 years they have discoloration. Extra warranty that I purchased did not cover the discoloration. Customer service is terrible. Macy’s was unwilling to offer any help because it’s beyond a year. I actually left my area and seek out macys because I thought the quality would be better. very disappointed by the customer service.

• Rishab Kohli
    3 years ago

I have bought pure leather sofa from Ashley and will see how to goes

• Charles Applegate
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We bought a leather sectional from Macy's and it's garbage. Granted, at six-foot-six and 275 pounds I'm a big man, but in less than two years "my" cushion was trashed. A year after that the suspension for the cushion started to go, and now there are wires poking through the torn leather and foam falling out onto the floor. If you want a five-year sofa, or you're all small, I guess it's OK. For me, though, I'd rather buy a cheap new sofa every year and throw it out that spend four times as much for something that's falling apart in two years.

• chisue
    2 years ago

Macy's 15 years ago and Macy's today are NOT the same. AFAIK what they are selling today is all made in Asia out of cheap lightweight wood, particle board, and foam. I hope the Century brand upgolstered pieces I have had for 20 years will last a bit longer, but for all I know, that brand has had to compromise to meet the demand for *cheap*.

• Janet Krause
    2 years ago

I purchased the Radley sectional after researching sofas on several different sites. So far, I am MORE than pleased and I will tell you why. First of all the corner section is curved so someone can actually sit in it. The cushions are comfortable and they do not have to be fluffed constantly. I am able to rotate and flip the top and bottom cushions because they are reversible. This is something you do NOT see anymore. The fabric is durable ( I have a dog and several grandkids). Covers are removable if you need to clean them. The seating depth is perfect. I highly recommend this sofa if you are looking for something durable in the mid-price range. You won't be disappointed.

• Looki Lu
    2 years ago

Janet- i am looking at the Radley as well. what fabric did you choose? and how long have you had your sofa?

• ab2021
    2 years ago

Janet, I too am eager to hear your feedback to these questions about the Radley Sofa as I'm considering it. Would also love to hear about the support and how the cushions have "held up"

• Rene Newen
    2 years ago

I purchased the Radley 4 years ago and it’s held up great. I went with the darker brown color, mocha grey I think.

• jqueen3
    2 years ago

Count me in on wanting to hear feedback on the sofa! I've had the Radley on my short list and have been going back and forth about it.

• Janet Krause
    2 years ago

I have had the Radley now for about 4 months. I got the grey color which works well with kids and dogs. I have taken the cushion covers off once to wash in order to get the doggy smell off of them. The way I did it was to wash on delicate with just "Odo-ban" disinfectant. Then I just put them in dryer for a short while and did NOT let them get totally dry. I was fearful that they might shrink. They went back on easily and looked like new. I rotate and flip the cushions, especially on the end pieces where people tend to sit more. Note that each section has 4 leg support, which is great if you have heavy people sitting on your sofa. Originally, I was looking at more contemporary sofas with the tall legs, but they have only one leg in the center for support. This sofa gives 4 leg support on each seat because it is modular. The pieces lock together. You won't be disappointed,

• morgan x
    2 years ago

I have had the Radley couch for four years. I love the couch. I have the gray bluish color. It is and has been our every day couch, see it right when you walk in and it looks nice with vacuum lines. My toddler recently spilled yogurt on it and it cleaned up nicely. The only complaint I have is... it is hard to get out of. My husband sits in one corner, which he has worn in pretty well. It still looks nice when he gets up but if you sit in the spot it is hard to get it. I'm 5'5 and need to really push myself out of there. It also isn't the most comfortable at my height to lay sideways because I fall inbetwene the cushions. But if you're taller I think its perfect. My husband is 6'3 and can sit perferctly, very comfortably and it was one of the only couches we found that he wasn't falling off the front. I woul 100% order it again but that is just few things to consider.

• Janet Krause
    2 years ago

Hi again, I have now had the Radley for about 10 months. There is one corner cushion that gets more wear and tear than the others because it is a "favorite spot" for a heavy person. I just switch it out with the other corner piece, but IF it gets to the point of no return, I will just get a new foam insert for it from a furniture restorer. Otherwise, the covers are holding up well, the legs are indestructible. If you wash the covers, use gentle cycle, I recommend very little soap as it attracts dirt if you don't get it all rinsed out. I used Odo-ban and no detergent, then dried on the lowest setting.

• HU-494518818
    last year

I bought the 5 piece Radley sectional in mocha grey in February 2012 (10+ years ago) and it has held up remarkably well. In fact, now that I think back and realize how long I have had them, I am kind of amazed. I still get complements, even though the rest of my decor is mid-century modern, this couch works with everything. If it wasn't for the cat scratches on one end, they would look essentially new. No fading, no rips, no worn out seams, and they have taken plenty of spills without staining. My ONLY regret is getting the entire huge 5-piece set. It fit beautifully in my big living room when I purchased it, but since then we have moved a few times, and the set isn't modular enough to fit in smaller spaces without overwhelming the room. If I could go back, I would get an extra chaise for the opposite end, or a terminal corner piece, something to make it truly modular. That being said, I had no idea that I would end up owning my sectional this long when I bought it! This year, I am replacing the square wooden "feet" with splayed brass legs, just to update the overall look, but that isn't even necessary because it still looks classically on-trend. I will definitely hold on to the square legs for when the brass look gets tiresome. Happy shopping to the all of the potential Radley owners on this thread...be prepared to want to spend a lot of time reading, watching Netflix, and playing with your kids/pets/grandkids and snuggling with your honey for years to come!

• Jen McBroom
    last year

DON'T DO IT!! We bought the Radley sectional in December 2019 and it was delivered in February 2020. Within a year, a cushion split at the seam and a zipper broke. The warranty company "worry-no-more" is a joke and denied our claim (a common complaint in recent years). I just want to buy replacement cushions at this point but their customer service is a joke and I think the replacement cushions are going to cost the same as a new couch. Our cheap Ikea couch lasted 7 years before we got this one. Our friend had a Macy's couch that lasted forever, but they don't make them like that anymore. It's very disappointing and super frustrating and I hope with this review I can save someone the headache!

Frayed cushion and broken zipper:

Even without the damaged cushions, the whole thing looks saggy and at least a decade old after just 2 years:

• Arya S.
    last year

the radley is everything! among my famiky members who live in the same neighborhoid all three homes have this couch, it is fantastic, stain proof, great for company … holds up well, everyone gets one. when we bought our katest home we knew we wanted one. sitting in the couch at nacys, a woman walks by and exclaims ”thats the best couch, im getting a second one. my family loves then, and my 300 lb husband its the only couch he can sit in ! “ and on and on

• lizcordoba
    last year

This is our second Radley sectional and it's not the same quality as the one we bought 10 years ago. The seams are torn on the cushions and we have the warranty and keep getting hung up on. Awful service.

• Christine Hawk
    last year

I’ve had the Radley for 6 or 7 years now. You cannot compare this product to rooms to go furniture. Im a single person household no pets and other than dirt on the cushions it’s maintained it’s shape and is in excellent condition so many years later.

• DEAN HOCH
    last year

Never again will we buy Macy’s furniture. Our cushions in our Hutchenson sectional didn’t last over two years and we paid over $3000.00 and bougt the 5 year Worry No More protection plan, which us worthless in my opinion.

• J Shackleton
    last year

Anyone wish to give me a new update/opinion towards your Macy’s Radley sofa? Quality of fabric? Fabric you like/dislike? If you decided to purchase your sofa/chairs somewhere else, then where? Are you pleased?

• Chrissy Atkins
    last year

Following this thread!

• Christine Hawk
    last year

I have the radley and bought it 6 years ago. It has aged well. Their white glove delivery service was great. I love this sofa and find their furniture quality is better than RTG. My mom had a macys couch that lasted over 10 years. I find their furniture to be of great value, quality and fair pricing. I’d buy it again!

• Richard Dollard
    last year

I just went to look at the Radley sofa this past weekend and was disappointed. For me it was way to deep(I'm 5'7" tall and my partner is 5'10" tall) and I thought the cushions were too soft, you really sunk into them. I was disappointed because I thought it had a great look.

• Stacy Charles
    4 months ago

We just got the the Radley sectional and it is so firm it’s not comfortable I’m thinking about returning it.

• Priya Paul
    last month

DO NOT BUY FURNITURE FROM MACYS AND THEIR FRAUDULENT WORRY NO MORE INSURANCE PLAN. Bought a a large sectional and an 8 seater dining table set with chairs from Macys furniture and was forced to buy their worry no more protection plan assuring it would give us "peace of mind" for 5 years, would cover accidental damage, stains, rips etc etc etc and repair or replace it "immediately". Below is the aftermath of the purchase:

1. The leg of the dining bench came off twice and worry no more sent a technician each time to stick it back up with glue....yeah you read that right, just glue it all the way back for it to come off again. We gave up on this one.
    2. The sofa part of my sectional had a tear and I have been waiting since July 2023 to get a replacement! Transferred between innumerable worry no more departments to get a simple technician visit that was outsourced to one of their third party vendors and then had to get on calls between worry no more and their third party vendor to know the date of the technician visit and the outcome of the visit. The technician was very unprepared and rude and neither worry no more nor their vendor had any professionalism to let the customer know of their decision. Then made calls to Macys and Worry no More to get information on their sales check for replacement of the sofa. Please notice how none of the business entities have the basic professionalism or courtesy to keep the customer informed! It is March of 2024 and I am still waiting for my sofa!
    3. The dining chairs had accidental spills on the same day, one was covered because I didnt try to clean it but other, which I tried to clean was not covered because according to worry no more, it appeared "blotchy". Then why are they giving us solutions to clean fabric?
    4. Try talking to Macys furniture customer service and you will be treated to the biggest scam and arrogance of your life - their first line of defence is "you will have to speak to worry no more for their decisions". They have no empathy for what the customer is going through, defend themselves foolishly, are vey delusional because they have no idea of best practices in the industry and claim boisterously that customers wait for years to get their furniture delivered (because Macys is just a middleman) and have no influence with manufacturer or insurance companies on behalf of whom they are selling. They can do nothing for the customer. They dont have the power to even raise a simple escalation to higher authorities. In the digital era, we have to write a "letter" to their PO Box in Ohio to make a complaint or get any resolution!!! Even emails wont work for any complaints! Then at the very least they should stop selling any protection plans because they wash off their hands the moment a sale is made.

So yes, from my personal experience and reading those of others, I strongly suggest NOT TO BUY FURNITURE FROM MACYS OR THEIR PHONY PROTECTION PLANS.

• Priya Paul
    last month

DO NOT BUY FURNITURE FROM MACYS AND THEIR FRAUDULENT WORRY NO MORE INSURANCE PLAN. Bought a a large sectional and an 8 seater dining table set with chairs from Macys furniture and was forced to buy their worry no more protection plan assuring it would give us "peace of mind" for 5 years, would cover accidental damage, stains, rips etc etc etc and repair or replace it "immediately". Below is the aftermath of the purchase:

1. The leg of the dining bench came off twice and worry no more sent a technician each time to stick it back up with glue....yeah you read that right, just glue it all the way back for it to come off again. We gave up on this one.
    2. The sofa part of my sectional had a tear and I have been waiting since July 2023 to get a replacement! Transferred between innumerable worry no more departments to get a simple technician visit that was outsourced to one of their third party vendors and then had to get on calls between worry no more and their third party vendor to know the date of the technician visit and the outcome of the visit. The technician was very unprepared and rude and neither worry no more nor their vendor had any professionalism to let the customer know of their decision. Then made calls to Macys and Worry no More to get information on their sales check for replacement of the sofa. Please notice how none of the business entities have the basic professionalism or courtesy to keep the customer informed! It is March of 2024 and I am still waiting for my sofa!
    3. The dining chairs had accidental spills on the same day, one was covered because I didnt try to clean it but other, which I tried to clean was not covered because according to worry no more, it appeared "blotchy". Then why are they giving us solutions to clean fabric?
    4. Try talking to Macys furniture customer service and you will be treated to the biggest scam and arrogance of your life - their first line of defence is "you will have to speak to worry no more for their decisions". They have no empathy for what the customer is going through, defend themselves foolishly, are vey delusional because they have no idea of best practices in the industry and claim boisterously that customers wait for years to get their furniture delivered (because Macys is just a middleman) and have no influence with manufacturer or insurance companies on behalf of whom they are selling. They can do nothing for the customer. They dont have the power to even raise a simple escalation to higher authorities. In the digital era, we have to write a "letter" to their PO Box in Ohio to make a complaint or get any resolution!!! Even emails wont work for any complaints! Then at the very least they should stop selling any protection plans because they wash off their hands the moment a sale is made.

So yes, from my personal experience and reading those of others, I strongly suggest NOT TO BUY FURNITURE FROM MACYS OR THEIR PHONY PROTECTION PLANS.

• Arletta Taylor
    15 days ago

I am looking at purchasing the Kared Sassari Grey rolled arm leather loveseat and sofa "especially made for Macy's". Anyone have any suggestions? They're both on sale right now under "Limited Time Special".