SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_tweeddale

River Birch partially leafed out, some dry branches

Jim Bo
6 years ago

I planted a large River Birch in Spring last year (2017). It was in a very large container Lowes and was about 10-12 ft tall when planted. I dug a huge hole when I planted it and did my best to loosen up the root ball a bit. The soil where I planted it is heavy clay. On a Lowe's employee recommendation, I planted it in a mix of the original clay soil, Clay Breaker mix, and Miracle Grow Tree and Shrub soil. It did great all year, spread new limbs and grew two to three feet in height.

This month (Spring 2018) when it started leafing out I have noticed some branches are not leafing out at all. The branches that are leafing out are dry and fail the scratch test (no green under bark) , the branches with leaves are just fine. The spot it is in gets very moist after hard rain.

We had a very cold January here in the mid-Atlantic, with temps around 0-5 degrees for a week. Not sure if it is just that the tree is stressed from being too large when planted, cold damage, or some infection. I did notice a spotty green-ish coating on some parts of the main trunk (see pictures), not sure it it is normal or not.

My questions are: Is there anything I can do to help the tree along recovery-wise or is this just wait and see situation? Is the greenish coating/mildew problematic?

Thanks in advance. Let me know if more pictures would be useful.

Comments (6)