SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pixmom

Greenfield Cabinetry a Disappointment

Chanin Gilman
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are in the midst of installing a new kitchen, and I already have one piece of advice to offer before we have even used the cabinets. I'm not at all impressed with Greenfield Cabinetry. They were supposedly going to be a major upgrade from other brands, but I'm not sure they are. I realize that pretty much all cabinetry is crap these days and that you're basically choosing which level of crap you want. But these are still disappointing beyond that.

From the beginning, the order arrived with the back panel of the island missing, exposed black screws on white cabinets in a shelf/cubby area, lapped outside corners rather than miters, face seams that do not match up at some of the joints, a broom cabinet the wrong size, a range hood that does not fit the hood liner model given to the makers at the time of order, hood trimout piece missing, island baseboard that was not distressed while the rest of the island is distressed...need I say more? But there is more. They're just not very solid. The faceframes are quite wimpy. You can certainly bend any of them you want to. OK, so no one needs to be bending them, so maybe they're ok? No. Because they are flimsy, they are already not flush with the inset doors and drawer fronts. My guess is that the faceframes are bowing rather than the heftier drawer fronts, but you definitely can see a curve since both fronts are not flush with each other.

The shelves are held up by TINY plastic brackets. My guess is that this is normal these days for everyone, but the tiny brackets are even used on fairly long spans of shelving. There are no brackets along the back of the shelves for extra support. Haven't even tried to put dishes in there yet, but any bowing will pull the shelves right off those brackets. So I'm not sure how useful two of my large upper cabinets will be!

Not only am I terribly disappointed, but I'm concerned that it will not take them long at all to look horrible if they look this way before we even have the countertops on them yet!! I upgraded to "nicer" cabinets because we plan to leave these in place for 20 years or more. I don't know if they will make it 5 years in any kind of attractive/functional state! And I may lose dishes if the shelves come crashing down off their tiny brackets. Not to mention the major delay a reorder of missing parts is causing in our kitchen project. It is holding multiple sub-contractors up in a major way! And it's costing us extra money.

Therefore, I would recommend staying away from this brand. The store models might look fine, but the reality once ordered isn't all that impressive. Some photos are attached so you can see the issues I already have. Maybe they are standard for all cabinetry, I don't know. And maybe they wouldn't bother you, but at least you can sort of judge for yourself.

Comments (24)

• donna_loomis
    5 years ago

Guess I'm a novice, but what am I missing in your photos? In the third picture, I see the plastic brackets you spoke of, easily replaced with metal if you prefer. In the second picture I might be seeing one door a bit higher than the one next to it, but that could just be that an adjustment in the hinges needs to be made. What is the blue tape supposed to be alerting us to?

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

You can always in the future replace the shelves with solid wood ones. Our last house we had good custom cabinets installed $$$ and every once in a while I would have to remove the shelf and turn it over because of the bowing. My house i live in now has 40 year old solid wood cabinets. No way am I ever getting rid of them to the new crap out there. They are built like a tank.

Chanin Gilman thanked functionthenlook
  • Related Discussions

I am so disappointed with the color of my kitchen cabinets!

Q

Comments (10)
    Did you try using the same temperature light that Home Depot uses ? They probably use some type of fluorescent in the store, right ? I know many hate fluorescent lighting but if it gives you the proper color, who cares. I loved that color and was considering those cabinets. I had the MS catalog and loved every single kitchen in it and the sea salt counter. You are correct in thinking that the taupe paint/lighting(and floor color)might be affecting it also. The taupe might be pulling them down. Check the undertones in that paint. BM can tell you. All colors are affected by what they are next to. I struggled with this while trying to learn color correction of 4/C photos for printing(books). BM has a website called myperfectcolor where you can post photos(post the cabs, floor or anything that might affect them) and get guidance for paint colors. List the paint color that you currently have in your query. They really try their best to help, but posting photos will get you a faster more detailed answer. Do you know how I know this ? I put LED in UCL and just recently put fluorescent cove lighting (T5)above cabinets. I'm not using both lights at the same time so I don't care if they are different temps. Wow, my floors look so much more colorful with the fluorescents.Also the paint that was too dark looks bright and cheery(although still not a match for my floor so I'm repainting :( Here is a link that might be useful: myperfectcolor
    ...See More

Disappointed about painting oak cabinets

Q

Comments (30)
    "I had thought I decided to add hardware and wait until after the floors are finished, new ss appliances are in, new counter top is installed and hope that I wouldn't even care anymore about the cabinets but then today I started seeing some beautiful white cabinets." FutureMrsR, I think your heart is speaking pretty plainly here. From all the other posters, it sounds like there is significant work involved but that good results are possible. The problem I have with your plan is that let's say you put in new hardware, floors, appliances and countertops, but in the end, you still want painted cabinets. You have just made your job harder. You've got to sand and use lots of TSP and other chemicals on the cabinets and not get any of it on your brand new floor. You also would have a MUCH easier time prepping and painting those cabinets if your counters were off. Also, you've got to unscrew all that new hardware off the doors. Better to fill all those new holes in the doors and reattach the hardware in another spot after the prep and painting is done. Sorry to play devil's advocate.
    ...See More

Greenfield or Mauser cabinets?

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes, I have Greenfield cabinets - installed summer of 2010. (haven't posted pics of my finished kitchen yet - need to get going on that...) We chose the "Kings Mill" door style (maple) with the "Cameo" finish - shaker with a beaded edge in a soft white. They are all-wood construction, all soft-close doors/drawers with Blum hinges. They were delivered well-wrapped and crated in perfect condition. Two minor installation mishaps required a new dishwasher panel and island end panel - they sent new ones for free - quickly too! Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to finally be able to respond to a request from someone! -hotdog
    ...See More

How is your Greenfield Cabinetry painted finish holding up?

Q

Comments (7)
    We are looking to build white painted kitchen with Greenfield. Did you build kitchen with Greenfield eventually? Is this painted kitchen? How it is holding up?
    ...See More
  • Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    Second what Donna said. What are we looking at here?
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

We are looking at buyer's remorse.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ditto what donna wrote regarding uneven height of drawers and changing out the shelf brackets.

The faceframe isn't flush with door and drawer fronts? The fronts just might need to be adjusted. Check with your GC.

Black screws inside upper cab: Surely that's not the cabinet manufacturer's fault. That's your installer's doing. Have your GC take care of that.

• Elle
    5 years ago
    I agree that the problems you wrote about don't speak to high quality crafstmanship or "premium" experience, but most of the pictures you showed have more to do with a bad install than bad cabinets.
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

You need to talk to your kitchen contractor. And no, not all of today's kitchen cabinets are "crap" at all. Many are of excellent quality. I'm not familiar with this brand or it's price point, but your pictures point to installation issues.

• Chanin Gilman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok, well, in looking back at the pictures, they don't necessarily highlight the issues very well. The first picture with the blue tape is not actually an alert; the tape is the clever method of the manufacturer to open the inset doors before knobs are installed. However, the tape is on the top of a drawer right in the area where you can see that the face frame and drawer front are not flush. They arrived this way and have been installed very carefully. What you can't really see from the picture is that the sides of the drawer fronts are flush with the face frame, but in the middle where the tape is, the face frame bows back behind the drawer fronts. So no adjusting would fix this.

The second picture is really hard to tell what you are looking at. That cabinet is the sink cabinet. So you have a drawer slab above two doors. I was trying to show that the inset slab isn't flush with the face frame. And as one of you pointed out, a side note would be that the doors also do not line up. Most of the doors don't line up nicely at all, but I wasn't going to mention that. There might be a little hinge adjusting to do once everything is settled, but the hinges are exposed and do not really allow for much adjustment. It is possible that overlay doors would hide some of these particular quality issues, though.

I didn't take a picture of the black screws, but of course, they were not put there by the installer. They arrived that way. It is Greenfield's manner of attaching the side panels to the pantry cabinet! They really put black screws on a white cabinet in a visible, open cubby. Even the rep said she couldn't believe they did that..or a couple of the other mistakes for that matter.

The contractor keeps mentioning that they don't seem as solid as other cheaper brands he has installed, but who knows about that. Several areas are missing support that they really should have.

I had thought that I might replace the shelf brackets even though I shouldn't have to. I would have to redrill all the holes, though, since the holes are pretty tiny compared to other bracket holes. That makes me nervous, but it could be done if they become a problem.

My real problem is that we tore out solid 1960's cabinets from back when even basic kitchens had real craftsmanship in them. I realize good products are nearly impossible to find any more, but I had hoped for a bit more with these cabinets. Next time, I would say that probably full custom made cabinets would be a better route. Or else, just go with the cheapest ones you can find because it turns out they aren't really that much worse.

I wasn't looking for discouraging comments. I put a lot of weight in other people's reviews of products. Reviews have steered me well in the past. So I was simply thinking it would be helpful to let people know of our experience with Greenfield in case it is helpful for them in the future.

Overall, they are attractive. But they are nothing amazing. If they don't get worse, then I can live with their current state. Unfortunately, though, they don't warrant the soapstone that has been ordered to top them.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

This looks like installation error to me. You'd be amazed at how a racked cabinet can prevent doors/drawers from ever fitting properly.

• Sue
    5 years ago
    I'm sorry to hear you are having these problems. I am really surprised because we just installed greenfield cabinetry earlier this year. We have had an excellent experience with them and were impressed with their quality. The cabs are very solid particularly compared to other brands that we had seen installed in other kitchens recently. Perhaps it's because we did overlay not inset, as you mentioned. We also had a GC that was very particular with install and making sure everything looked good. So maybe install played a role. Also the cabs seem very solid and thick to me- I have been loading up my shelves! I don't know how there can be such an major difference, but I hope they work with you to sort it out.
  • Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    These issues look like install to me. Ask your gc to adjust the door hinges.
  • Chanin Gilman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm not sure why I am being accused of misorders. When a 21" cabinet is on the order form, and an 18" cabinet is sent, that seems like the cabinet company to me. When a back panel for the island is clearly on the order form, and it doesn't arrive (in fact, wasn't even made), that seems like the cabinet company to me. When a range hood is sent, but the panel to trim out the liner was not sent, that seems like the cabinet company to me. When a distressed island is sent, but the baseboard for it is not distressed, that seems like the cabinet company to me. I promise that the designer was disappointed and frustrated with the order mess, also. Greenfield was running a sale at the time, so maybe they just got overloaded.

I do agree that a bad install can really torque a cabinet, even if it is a tiny bit off. None of you were here to see the install, carefully leveled and shimmed where needed. Level front to back, level side to side. Seams are pretty durn near perfect. Some of my comments were based on the cabinets upon arrival. I can easily bend face frames, and I"m just not used to that coming from 60 year old pine cabinets. But that might be the norm these days. There is a real lack of support on some of the longer runs, too. That is how they were made. Nothing to do with install.

The hinges are not adjustable, as I mentioned before. They might adjust a tiny bit, and that will be attempted before the contractor leaves, but they are not your standard adjustable hinges as you would have on overlay doors.

I'm encouraged to hear that one of you has had no trouble with the shelves. I don't know if your shelves span 40", but I have two cabinets that are that wide, and those are the only ones that concern me. Although, the shelf in the cabinet over the fridge also bows, but I intend to remove it anyway. Definitely, the more narrow cabinets feel more solid and definitely better than some companies I looked at, so I think they'll be fine. It's the wider ones that need more support. Thank you so much for sharing your good experience with me. Hopefully, mine will hold up just fine in the end because they are quite pretty.

• catbuilder
    5 years ago

I'm curious how you're able to bend a face frame. Did it not come attached to the cabinet? It looks to me like your plastic shelf supports actually have a metal pin inside. But if not, and that bothers you, you can easily change them out. No need to drill new holes, just use the right size shelf pin. If they're smaller than you're used to seeing, they're probably 5mm instead of 1/4". But really, what you have should not ever be a problem. As for the long 40" span, that is your designer's fault, not the manufacturer's. No amount of shelf pins along the back will stiffen up an under-sized shelf. Can you elaborate (pictures help) on what you mean by lack of support in the longer runs? Did you actually see the order form that was sent to the manufacturer? And can you actually decipher it yourself? I don't mean what the designer showed you, but what was actually sent over to Greenfield. Small mistakes like the non-distressed baseboard are not unusual, and usually not a big deal to correct. I would expect that they would expedite things like that.

• cyc2001
    5 years ago

I have been thinking about a kitchen remodel for some time now. Still haven’t moved forward with anything..but I did look at greenfield cabinetry. I’m surprised to hear that it doesn’t seem sturdy. It seemed really well constructed when I saw it in person. However, when I met with the contractor the cabinet store recommended, he was finishing up a big job using greenfield and was not impressed. I think it had to do with lots of order issues that slowed him down. He told me to just paint my custom oak cabinets, or to order Schrock (the less expensive line carried by the cabinet store). He thought a brick was a bette value.

• Sue
    5 years ago

@pixmom- I have about a 63" run of upper cabs and the longest single cab in that is about 32" long, so shorter than yours. Same pins as you it appears (metal inside) and no bowing that I can see (but I also don't see any bowing in your pic either.) I like their pins because they are unobtrusive looking in the cabinet. When the cabs arrived my KD showed up to double check the order and measurements and I think there was an issue where a door was the wrong color, so she dealt with them directly, got things expedited and followed up, so it didn't really end up bothering me. She also needed to get a new appliance cabinet door when a contractor wrote on it, and that took a few weeks to get back but was resolved with minimal involvement by me and no cost to me. I would push this back on your designer to resolve. Once it is, hopefully the cabs will work out in the long term.

• Chanin Gilman
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oo! Suchira! Thank you for the pic of all the heavy stuff on your cabinet. That looks very promising. I wouldn't have dishes heavier than that, so maybe I'm ok even though my span is longer. Yes, I would not get that span in the future. Smaller would be smarter. The designer has reordered some of the incorrect cabinets, but they are still taking over 2-1/2 weeks to arrive. That is not a big problem for me, but it could be for people who are in a time crunch. The extra trips required by electricians and carpenters will be billed to Greenfield.

Cyc2001, thank you for your bit of corroboration via your contractor's experience. I went away from the cabinets my contractor usually uses, and he is not impressed with these, either.

Catbuilder, by bending the face frame, I just mean that if you push it front to back, it will certainly bend easily. But if you push down or pull down on one, it will also bend down even though that is the stronger direction. I'm talking about one hand of a small female pushing or pulling. (Now, the old cabinets, I actually tried pushing and yanking and pulling and couldn't get those face frames to budge. But I do realize we don't make anything of that quality any more.) It would probably help if there was some sort of support. It would also help if we had ordered smaller cabinets. Then supports would not be needed across the wide spans. Looking back, that's probably what I should have done. But I really wanted to be able to store pots and such that require larger drawers. I think the face frames pieces are just attached via screws without too much joinery involved and obviously not sanded AFTER the joint because they don't all line up exactly. But that might be normal methods these days, too.

• PRO
    Hinman Construction
    3 years ago

We Design, Build, Remodel and Install. We feature the Greenfield Cabinetry in our projects. We have nothing but praise for this company as do our clients. From the products to the delivery. Speaking from experience, I think your issues are pilot error with the original order and installation.

• Chanin Gilman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Hinman Construction! Thank you so much for contributing some positive and encouraging comments regarding Greenfield cabinetry. Probably 96% of reviews I write are positive because I hate writing negative ones. However, I also appreciate it greatly when other's reviews save me some headache. So I wanted to put my experience out there.

Two year update: The cabinets are holding up well. Long shelves have not sagged, and bowed fronts have not grown worse. The finish is hard and strong but does not clean well.

A Greenfield rep did respond to me at some point, told me he would connect me to a local rep and then never did, even after a reminder. The designer sent her own expert cabinet installers and adjusters out. They determined the only fix would be to have new doors made to fit the openings better. They could not adjust the doors/drawers enough to correct the closures. So I've just been living with doors and drawers that drag, overlap half the year, and look badly fit.

I absolutely LOVE the kitchen! Decisions were made carefully with function and looks in mind. Fortunately, the cabinets are the only poor choice.

Having said that, due to the solid materials and beautiful design options of Greenfield, some different choices probably would have left me completely happy with them. #1-Don't choose inset doors! They don't fit well. Also, the cabinet edges where trash cans and dishes slide are visible where the paint wears. (Not really Greenfield's fault.) #2-Definitely DON'T combine inset doors with the butt style hinge. They look so classic, but they leave no ability to adjust doors. #3-Even if sheen is not preferred, don't choose a matte paint finish if you want fingerprints to disappear.

Partial or full overlay door and drawer fronts with adjustable hinges and a slightly "sheened" paint finish would solve the things that don't looks so great in our kitchen.

Ending on a positive note, I would highly recommend the use of drawers everywhere possible. Greenfield's huge drawers are solid and awesome!

It is good to hear that you have had a good track record with this company. I like the idea of supporting a smaller US company.

• terrimafazy
    2 years ago

This was very helpful to me as I was looking for detailed reviews of this brand. Thanks you.

• bdavis07
    2 years ago

After five years with my Greenfield cabinets, the seams at the base of the front of them is separating, which is disappointing considering the cost and anticipated high expectations!

• caroline smith
    last year

We also installed Greenfield cabinets and the quality is disappointing. First of all a whole bank of cabinets in the island appears to not be finished properly, so 1/3 of the cabinets are lighter than the other 2/3. It is only visible certain times of day when the light is just right but it is very poorly finished. Anything we have with the darker finish is not a great finish overall. The expensive legs on the island split, I honestly did not expect such expensive legs on an expensive kitchen to be hollow or glued together. I'm also surprised to see cheap plastic pieces to hold the shelves. We purchased builders grade for the laundry room, even with builders grade the quality is not great, seams uneven and visibly gapped, that sort of thing. This was a 100k kitchen with decent but not outrageously expensive appliances so most of the money went to the cabinets and countertops. If I had to do it again I would not go with this brand.

• caroline smith
    last year

Oh yeah and 4 months in the spice rack slideout is bending outwards despite not being not filled with heavy items. same for the trash drawer. we put the heavier trash in the back basket and the lighter recyclables in the front and still the front of the drawer is bending out because it appears the brackets are not strong enough. 70k just for the cabinets in a not huge kitchen and the stuff is pretty as long as you don’t actially use it.

• Rosanne Mapp
    last year
    last modified: last year

I too have had a kitchen installed with Greenfield Cabinets in August it is now end March still not complete

called the company to talk with their customer service They informed me they COULD NOT TALK WITH ME suggested i speak with the rep I expressed that I was having a problem with the Rep!

Got nowhere

Buyer BEWARE

so many flaws very POOR WUALITY CONTROL