SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gornish

Problems with new Fisher and Paykel dishwasher

Eddie Gornish
5 years ago

We just finished a whole house remodel, which included getting a new Fisher and Paykel dishwasher. It's the kind with 2 drawers. There are 3 issues.

(1) It takes about 50% longer to run a cycle then the estimated time. For example, "fast mode" is supposed to take 33 minutes; however, it actually takes 50 minutes. The display starts counting down at 33 minutes; however, it stalls twice during the cycle, sitting on the same number of minutes for about 8.5 minutes (e.g. it says 20 minutes left for about 8.5 minutes). Similarly, the normal cycle, which should take 116 minutes, actually takes about 165 minutes.

(2) The fan runs after the cycle is done; however, it will shut off if you open the drawer. I let the fan run to see how long it would go before shutting off, and it on the fast cycle it took 2 hours to shut off. I have no idea if it shuts off in the normal cycle, because I didn't want to leave the fan running all night.

(3) When using the top drawer, some water collects in the bottom drawer (perhaps about 1/2 a cup). The water in the bottome drawer feels cold - so perhaps it's condensation? I doesn't look soapy.

I had an F&P technician come out. He said the extra 50% was because they had special control boards that ran on DC, not AC. I told him many electronics use DC, and he said he wasn't aware of that. He had no answer for the fan or the water.

The only - possibly - useful thing he told me was that the drain hoses and hose from air gap to disposal were not installed correctly by my general contractor. In the picture below, he claimed that the 2 drain hoses should not be going through loop that is shown, since they also go through an air-gap. He also said that the 90 degree turn in the hose that leads to the disposal (also shown) was bad.

But he said he couldn't guarantee that he could re-route the hoses while allowing the cabinet to still shut, and I was hesitant to let this technician touch anything.

One issue is that the dishwasher is on the right side of the sink and the air gap is on the left side of the sink. The air gap is on the left side of the sink, because the faucet has a handle on the right, the sink came with 3 holes, installing the air gap in the existing hole on the right would have intefered with the faucet handle and the contractor said he didn't want to drill another hole in the sink and interfere with the structural stability of the sink. So the drain hoses are routed through the loop that is shown up to the air gap on the left side of the sink, then the hose from the air gap has to make a 90 degree turn to get to the input on the right side of the disposal.

So:

- Is it normal for F&P dishwashers to take 50% longer to run then the actual cycle time readouts?

- Should the fan run for 2 hours?

- Should there be water in the bottom drawer after using the top drawer?

- Is there anything wrong with the way the hoses are routed, and could it be the cause of the problems above?

- Perhaps... would it be better just to bypass the airgap and have the hoses go directly to the disposal (perhaps through a larger loop that is at a higher elevation than the disposal)?

thanks

Comments (14)