SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaphowley

Replacing clawfoot tub with regular tub

lh owl
6 years ago

Hi there.

So I saw one post where someone asked about replacing her clawfoot tub with a standard (modern) bathtub/shower and it devolved into a plea she keep the tub. We just moved into an old house with a clawfoot tub that has to go. Don't worry, it just looks antique --it's actually acrylic. Keeping it won't work. It is our only tub and is too high and precarious for our parents to use when visiting. It's also a pain (with shower curtains sticking to us and no storage for shampoo etc). And my hips are missing some cartilage, so the vault over the top is not workable. So, that's all to say, it's going. ;-)

What I could use help figuring out is ...

1. Is this something our friend who is a handyman could/should do? He's pretty genius, but he's not insured. He helped us out with one plumbing issue before that went fine. But is this a really complicated or risky thing? It seems simpler to go from clawfoot to standard than the other way around.... But am I underestimating what's involved? (He gives us extremely reasonable pricing, so I'd really like to use him unless this is something that is super involved.)

2. The other issue is... is the bathtub going to crash through the floor? (Maybe I watched Money Pit too many times.) I don't want another acrylic tub and I'm worried if we add 50-100 or so pounds of weight we could have a problem. It's over a basement, which was recently seismically retrofitted/reinforced with beams throughout. I *think* if a deep tub could go there before, another tub that might weigh a little more isn't going to be a problem. But am I being naive?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Lisa

Comments (3)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional