SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nmsuther61

TINY living room- storage and decor

nmsuther61
5 years ago

This is our tiny living room. We share it with our toddler and his heap of toys. I'd like to put some sort of storage cabinet under the TV that hides everything but Im not ure what would work with the existing decor.

I'd love to ditch the couch and loveseat for a sectional to fill that awkward corner but we're hoping to sell in a year and I don't want to invest in something that may not work in the new place. I would not choose these colors again.

Suggestions on how how pretty up the room, maximize space, and create toy storage would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (83)

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Once the love seat is gone, should the couch be centered on the wall or remain centered with the TV? Also, what kind of chairs should take the place of the love seat and how should they be placed? Lastly, should anything else go on the wall where the sofa is? It's a pretty big wall and I don't know if it's too bare on either side if the sofa.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Center sofa on the wall and slide the TV right or left to help center it with the sofa. Two upholstered armchairs. Swivels would be most functional. Art hung 5" above the sofa back (you're just about there) and it can be as much as 75% of the sofa's width.

• Related Discussions

Tiny Living Room/ Fireplace

Q

Comments (16)
    I will be getting new lamps for the space. Also a new light fixture for the ceiling. I've considered small floating shelves but I'm not quite sure. The ones suggested from Ikea are so inexpensive I could possibly give it a try. Or maybe neutral tone on tone wallpaper/stencil might work to just give the wall some interest.
    ...See More

Living room storage for 13x13 scrapbooks and typical clutter / storage

Q

Comments (1)
    Ikea has collections you can mix and match. Some have doors you can add. Here's a deep enough cube unit: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20275814/
    ...See More

Need decor & storage in this room without clutter

Q

Comments (3)
    Put a wall hung corner half cabinet where the greeney is. You know you want a clutter free space, so I would remove the mirror, etc left of the door. and the panels on either side of the French door. Consider a different chandelier. Yours is too delicate and too small to work with what you have as pendants over the peninsula.
    ...See More

Please help me with my new living room decoration!!!

Q

Comments (27)
    Why so GA? I thought I hated fake fireplaces, but if I was going to have one, I would sure want it to serve the function of giving off heat . . . if I needed that. I live in the frozen north country. Otherwise, it is just something to dust to me. I also realized that if you live in a dark grey area of the country (I do), there is nothing wrong with getting artistic pieces that evoke the light and warmth of a fire. So much the better if you can chose sometimes to just have the light. My dad has one of those colored sparkly heaters in his basement, and at first I thought, "How gauche!" but when I changed my perspective and thought of it as a piece of art that not only pleases the eye but serves a function, I changed my mind. I don't much care for the look of a TV over the fireplace, and since I use my fireplace daily, I don't like thinking about how the heat would affect my electronics, but having a TV over the fireplace is pretty much ubiquitous nowdays, particularly in warmer climates. My comment was only to consider that I had a fake fireplace which had a SINGULAR purpose of being a decorative feature, and it took up way too much wall space to be practical for me, it was nothing more than something that was a pain to dust, and made me want the warmth of a real fireplace. It was too high to mount a TV over so mine was on a shelving unit to the side, but my TV was smaller than the huge ones popular today. When I bought the house it was a huge charm feature for me, but that faded very fast. Fast forward, my landlady once loaned me these big square space heaters to help with the heat in my un-insulated apartment. They had one function, to heat the room and were otherwise ugly black blobs. Here's a photo of my fake fireplace. A lovely white elephant. I did not think so when I bought the place. Of course YMMV, just giving you the perspective of someone who lived in a tiny house with a fake fireplace for 12 years.
    ...See More
  • sandk
    5 years ago

A coffee table with drawer storage works great for smaller items., including puzzles. Play on top, toys go right back into drawer. Maybe you can use that awkward corner for some of the bigger toys if you can create a path big enough for your child to get through with the push toy. Giant plastic kitchen just is what it is.

• Susan Davis
    5 years ago

So far so good...late to the party but IKEA have the cubby storage with fabric boxed that slide into the cubes and you can do the cubes in colors so that could add function and style for the toys.....when my kids were little they had a toy bag for each day of the week and only one bag came out each day.....and each day they rediscovered their toys.....same with the big items. At 4 ish we put everything away and moved into the kitchen to set the table, empty the dishwasher and play with the kitchen stuff during dinner prep...what can I say, I was a stay at home mom for 20 years then went back to work after raising 8 kids....love your room....and think you are getting great advice....congrats on your toddler and wanting to organize his play area.....good for you.

Dallas, TX: Tyler & Crispin Deneault · More Info

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

nmsuther61 thanked Susan Davis
  • nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was thinking of this Besta solution from Ikea. I like that the shelves are adjustable. You can also just buy the frame and then add the doors and/ or drawers after. Might be good just have the frame for now and then add the doors when he gets a little older. My only concern is that it might be a little too boxy.

I would love to find something like this! Easier said that done though. At lease at an affordable price- and long enough.

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is where I'm at now. Couch is moved over as far as it can go with the love seat still in place. I like this piece of art and plan on finding 2 medium size pictures to go beside it or 2 shelves. I'm looking for armchairs but, man, can they be expensive! I thought a light blue would look good but it's been hard finding a comfortable one. These are 2 others that I've found. I like the shape of the blue but the color of the gray. I'd love to get opinions on chair colors that would work with the room. I'm thinking that something relatively neutral would be smart since we're hoping to move next year, at which point we would buy a new couch.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Why are you even getting rid of the loveseat? I agree that a chair would fit better, but if you buy one now, it will end up constraining your sofa purchase when you move. I say keep your serviceable seating for now, find art you love that you can decorate around when you move, work on a toy storage solution that can go in your son's bedroom or playroom in a new house, and keep your eyes peeled for a great vintage sideboard you can paint for your future TV console.

Honestly, your living room isn't that bad. Even the toy overflow isn't that bad Find two great pieces to pair with your new art, add a couple of joyful pillows to pick up those lively colors, and smile when you look at it.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Grover is enchanted with your toddler. He says that child has the most beautiful hair he's ever seen.

Bright House 3 Limited Edition by Katharine McGuinness at Art.com · More Info

Give Me the Moon Photographic Print by Philippe Sainte-Laudy at Art.com · More Info

• mjlb
    5 years ago

I agree with the suggestion to look for used credenza, server, sideboard, or bedroom bureau to use under your tv. The Ikea Besta would serve the purpose, but the second hand options would be more original and probably higher quality. What dimension do you need for that piece? I am guessing 32-36-in high x 72-84-in wide x 18-24-in deep? Do you think toy storage would work best with shelves or with drawers, or both?

Also agree with comment about needing a center support for your drapes. I'd consider changing the drapes and rug to comething more colorful and patterned. That would alleviate the need for a lot of artwork. Agree that the mirror isn't doing much in that location, but IMO there's nothing worse than "art" that is on the wall solely to add color - it should be more personal than that.

I also think your side tables and table lamps could be upsized, or partially replaced by floor lamps. Your existing blue table lamps would look nice on the credenza below your TV. Your cute red toy chest could be placed between the sofas as a larger side table, although it might need a stack of books to raise it to a convenient height.

Perhaps I'm reading into it, but you seem to like deep blues... anything else you can say about colors you like, styles that you like, etc.?

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@groveraxle I really like the colors in those photos. And the dog definitely brings the room together lol. What would you suggest to fill the big gaps on either side of the couch? Or would anything extra just be too busy? I was thinking maybe a hanging plant in the right corner. My sister-in-law recently put up shelves beside her art. What do you think of this (hasn't filled it yet)

@mjlb I've been looking for second hand side tables, console tables, etc. But they are either way too expensive, not long enough and/ or don't have doors (with shelves inside) big enough for toys. I was thinking a combination of doors and drawers. I've looked up a few IKEA hacks that I thought might look nice. What do you think?

I love blues, pinks, purples- deep or bright. I guess my style would be more transitional. I want this space to be airy, cozy, inviting, and fun. These are a few of the pins I've saved as inspiration for my next place:

• mjlb
    5 years ago

If you provide the dimensions and budget for the furniture piece under the TV, I (and probably other Houzzers) will keep an eye out for you. Since used furniture rarely comes with free shipping, your general area of the country would be helpful too.

Would you need the piece to be usable with the original finish, or would you consider painting it? I'm thinking with young child around, you may not have time to do that yourself, so paying someone else to do might nix that idea.

nmsuther61 thanked mjlb
  • mjlb
    5 years ago

to continue... your style to me is SPRING!

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, @mjlb. I'm open to painting if need be although I love natural finishes as well. I dont think it could be much longer than 78" (My TV is 51" and the wall is 97" but is right by a doorway), TV is mounted at 40" high (not sure how much clearance is recommended), and 15-16" deep. Also, Im.in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

• mjlb
    5 years ago

I did a quick sketch - I'd say you don't want to go much higher than 30-in. If you could go 18-20-in. deep, you'd have more choice.

I've been to Halifax once - nice city!

nmsuther61 thanked mjlb
  • nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I might be in luck. My parents have this in the basement. It hasn't been used in over 20 years and is solid wood. There's even adjustable shelves inside the doors to store toys. 58" long, 32" tall, and 18" deep. Our TV is mounted 40" from the floor so I think the height might be ok. What do you guys think? Obviously the orange stain would go, lol.

• latifolia
    5 years ago

Paint and new hardware and you’re good to go, certainly until you move.

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wish I weren't so indecisive! Do you think this is something that could continue being used in the future? I don't like the price of buying new from Ikea but at least I know that system could eventually go in my son's room or a playroom down the road.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

One of our other Houzzers is redoing her house to mostly mid century modern with an eclectic touch. She has a chest similar to this that she painted blue and changed the hardware on. It looks great with her modern stuff. So in answer to your question, yes, I think you can use it down the road.

• partim
    5 years ago

Nice piece. I wouldn't paint it, but then I like wood.

We have a toy storage challenge too, this time with my granddaughter who visits frequently. I use big canvas bags to store her toys. The best ones are beach bags with a zipper top. I use one for stuffed animals, one for books, one for misc toys, one for blocks. I like that I can just stuff the bags any which way into an armoire I have in the living room. I was having trouble finding interior boxes that look good and that fit the shelves. Also cheaper. Also easy clean up since you just take the bags to where the toys are, instead of having to carry all the stuff to the storage unit.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If I go this way I would probably stain the top and paint the rest. Not sure if white would be best or something more colorful.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I like the gray! I'd probably keep it lighter to keep the room feeling bright and sunny. Would it go even though there's no other gray in the room?

Do you guys think I could make this longer print work here (with another piece on top)? We bought it on our honeymoon in Italy and we haven't been abke to find a great spot since moving things around a few tears ago.

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I think you need one large piece over the sofa and the two pieces above don’t work ‘together’. I wouldn’t combine the sentimental piece with anything else. How about putting it in your bedroom.

• auntthelma
    5 years ago

The floral painting will brighten up the room. If I were a designer, I'd want it to be a different size or orientation. But as a homeowner, you love it, it is bright and happy and the wall needs a painting. Hang it over the sofa.

The long one needs a different wall. They don't really compliment each other.

• mjlb
    5 years ago
    The floral one would look great near one of your blue lamps. The horizontal one needs a narrow wall, or even over a door opening. That's terrific that you can reuse a family piece. I think it looks great in pale gray, and that's neutral enough to work with lots of different color schemes.
  • nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I didn't see it working but I was hoping I was wrong. Ive been looking for one big piece of art but haven't had any luck. If I dont find one I'll try 2 square pieces beside the floral print, like @groveraxle showed further up.

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Am I heading in the right direction with my colorful art? This is what my dream living room would look like and I notice that the colors are more toned down. Im still learning what my "style" is.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Depending on where you move, your existing furniture might live again in another room. Don't be too quick to get rid of neutral furniture in good condition.

Our old townhome living room furniture ended up in the house game room, then after an update the prior new furniture move up to replace the original. It was a big budget help to only buy for the main living area each time.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

That floral isn't going to help you get your space into the zone of your inspo pics. What size art do you need?

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@hollybar my couch is 6'4" long across the top. Everything I see online either doesn't ship to Canada or costs a fortune.

• partim
    5 years ago

I have bought some nice wall art at my local Value Village. Don't forget about Ikea, for ready to hang or just for frames. Here are some Ikea that would be about the right size I think, reasonably priced. Or you might find something you like here, a Canadian site. You can sort by size and shape. https://www.allposters.ca/?CID=61F2FA6FC6424593AD25AF400BC20F4A&startat=/startpage.asp

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Check on etsy among Canadian artists,although many artists from around the world will ship to Canada. Also,you could consider buying a digital file and having it printed locally. Now,my fave tip.... Paint over an old canvas! Find the cheapest canvas (of the right size) you can. Thrift store,second hand,image does not matter but you want a canvas on the smoother side. No big blobs of paint but some texture is A-OK. Make sure you like the frame. Then...

https://theartofsimple.net/what-to-do-with-bad-paintings/

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I found this one. I like the size and all of the colors except the rust but I just won't accessorize with it. I love how it brightens the room!

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Before I hang the picture, should I push the couch to the right and center it with the room (that would cause the love seat to be even more off center) or do I center the love seat in the center of the window (that would mean moving the couch a little more to the left, even more off center)? Or do I keep them both where they are so that they're close to center?

• partim
    5 years ago

Put the sofa and love seat where they look best, and center the picture over the sofa, not on the wall.

nmsuther61 thanked partim
  • nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is this side table too tall (the other ones are way too short)? It's my husband's grandmother's and it's just been sitting in our basement. Also, I'm playing around with covers for my throw pillows. Any feedback on colors?

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I think the height of the table is fine. If you want to balance the height of the lamps you could always put the shorter one on a book, but I don’t think it’s necessary. I can’t really tell the colors of the pillows, but as long as they draw from the art, they should work.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Yes, the taller table is good. The lamp looks good like that . Do you have another table the same height for the other lamp? Using books to lift the other one is a great idea if you don't.

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I found this beautiful rug on sale. Do you think it would work in the room along with the new colors? I'm debating ordering it for this room or the replace one I recently bought for my bedroom that is too small.

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

One thing at a time. Which picture are you going with over the sofa? Your sofas look beige and I’m not sure the gray rug will play nicely with the sofas. I do, however, really like the rug. Let’s get some other opinions.

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is what I have decided on for art. The couch is tan and Im currently trying to decide what color to paint the hutch that is going to go under the TV (something lighter and neutral- grey, blue, cream white, etc. With a stained top perhaps?). The pillows have been changed slightly since taking this picture. I love the rug and it's a great deal but I don't know if I should pull the trigger if we're planning on moving in a year.

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

What color are your curtains? When you move, do you plan to take your current furniture. I’m inclined to suggest you not purchase a rug that may not fit into your new home. A year goes by quickly. Save your money for furnishing the new home. I just noticed in one of your previous posts what appears to be an adorable red headed little boy.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

nm, you are all over the place here. The rug you found is nice at a great price and will work in this space if you're still aiming toward your inspiration rooms. I don't know why you returned the pink floral painting. That's the piece that gets you closest to where you want to go. IMO, this is your best look below and the art would be a perfect starting point for recreating your inspiration room in your next house.

I just realized all the pillows are from World Market and not available in Halifax, but you get the idea.

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I actually prefer the art you’re planning on using. To me, the flower picture looks too juvenile if that makes any sense.

• nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@groveraxle I was really aiming to find one big piece instead of having a few smaller ones. It's not my dream piece (I'd prefer that it wasn't 3 pieces to form 1) but I like the pinks, blues and grays- the hint of orange snd rust, not so much.

@oaktonmom the picturesoif my my little ginger boy don't even do his hair justice! The curtains are white and blue and the couches will definitely not be coming with us lol. But I don't want to make a huge investment now in something that may not look right in the new house. I don't want to go the next year absolutely hating the room like I have been but I'd like make it as appealing as possible to buyers without breaking the bank if possible.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I suggest you keep looking till you find a piece or an artist that speaks to you. Aim for one that might be the starting point for your decor in a new house. (I personally think the three pieces in the rendering above are smart and attractive, but you have to live with them, so...)

A few more artists for your consideration:

Raoul Dufy

Shirley Novak
    Jennifer Lommers

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I don't see where pinks and oranges and yellows give a cohesive look to the room. The OP has navy drapes and teal lamps with beige sofas. The colors in some of those photos look like they came out of nowhere. I would keep the picture you have. It has navy to relate to the curtains and teal to relate to the lamps. I'd get a couple of decorative pillows with navy and teal and call it a day until you move. Don't forget, you have the credenza that's going to spice up the room. I think with those changes, the room looks just fine.

nmsuther61 thanked oaktonmom
  • nmsuther61
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My husband and I never agree on art and he had strong feelings against the flower. He said he doesn't hate this one so it's probably the closest to a win that I'll ever get. I think I'll stick with it, make a final decision on pillows, and call it a day.

The last decision I have to make is the color of the credenza that will go under the TV (hardware will also be changed). I would like to keep it fairly neutral so it will go with future decor or possibly another room down the road. I was originally thinking navy but it's a big, boxy piece so maybe it should stay light in this tiny room. I was leaning towards a stained top and painted bottom. Light gray, light blue, cream, white? Any thoughts? As previously demonstrated I'm not great with colors or tying a room together- or any form if decorating for that matter lol.

• oaktonmom
    5 years ago

I think you need to decide what accent color you’re drawn to. Navy, gray, teal, etc. If you paint the credenza gray, you should add some gray accents (pillows, throw, accessories). You already have navy drapes, so your pillows should have some navy in them if you paint the credenza navy. Lamps are teal so pillows should have some teal. You could play it safe and paint it a cream color but, again, you need to bring that color in some accessories. Whatever color you paint the credenza, just add that color in your accessories, etc.