SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyfirst9000

SPC vs Tile for beach condo. Anybody use Raskin Acrylx?

H F
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Purchasing a 2400sqft condo on the beach in FL.

Has a mix of carpets and various old tiles that we are going to remove immediately. Looks like good construction with 6 or 8" concrete slabs.

We are wanting to install a single floor type throughout the entire condo (except for the bathrooms) with no transitions, t moldings, etc. Longest straight run will be the main hallway at about 55'. Other direction would be about 38'. 3 rooms face the beach and will get morning sun everyday through sliders.

Originally I was going to tile it all myself. Then my wife found out about LVP. Then gluedown vs click.
Then she found out about waterproof laminates. Then loose lay. Aaaargghh. So many choices. And so many pros and cons.

My biggest issue with LVP, WPC, looselay etc is the thermal expansion and the gotchas in various installation instructions I read. Some want a transition every 30'. Some say if part is going to be in sun, then that part needs to be glued down. Then I start reading the horror stories of scratching, scuffs, gaps, etc.

This past weekend I learned of yet another new flooring type, SPC. Raskin Acrylx. As always sounds too good to be true. Stone Plastic Composite? Basically, it's an even better WPC, stronger and with no thermal expansion issues. The salesperson took a hammer (and not that hard either) to some coretec and raskin, and I could see the small dents in the coretec and the raskin was fine. Also, the coating on the raskin did seem tougher. I have tested various planks putting sand, shells, small rock and then stepping on them with a slight twist and so far all but the raskin have ended up scratching. The raskin instructions say I can go '100 without needing a transition and that I don't even need to worry about acclimating or if sun is hitting the floor. The only gotchas I see right now with raskin is it's new stuff, can't find any reviews and very limited info. He had 2 other SPC products on which I could find no info at all online.

And one last issue with tile vs any click plank, is even starting at the furthest wall, the floor wraps around at one point, and I am going to have one large room (300sq ft?) where I would have to install the planks backwards. We tried doing it on the showroom floor and wasn't easy.

So right now, I've narrowed it down to raskin or just go with my original idea, Mohawk wood ceramic/porcelain tiles (made in spain?). The tile ends up slightly cheaper, unless I also include soundproofing (wow, expensive). The building doesn't have any codes requiring sound proofing. I like that all the non-tile options either include sound proofing or it's cheap enough. I know current tile in building doesn't have any sound proofing and everybody I've talked too so far says they can't hear anybody above them.

Anybody here have any experience with Raskin Acrylx XL G-Core flooring? https://www.acrylxusa.com/

Comment (1)

• diamondkat123
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am interested in installing Raskin Ceramix in my kitchen, but am in the same boat... no reviews and hardly any information online. The Raskin Industry's own web site did not have a link for their Ceramix product line! I made a guess and used the Acrylx URL, replacing the "acrylx" with "ceramix" (which is how I got to the Ceramix section of the site).

Does anyone have any information for us? Many thanks!

Ceramix:

https://www.ceramixusa.com/