SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_jurgensen

The Barden Bed is officially underway!!

Spring has finally decided to arrive here in Minnesota. Thank goodness. So I was a busy little bee out in the yard today. I got tons of stuff moved, rearranged, and the bareroot roses planted. (Not the Austin’s, they still have to be hardened off!)

The biggest news in my garden so far though: the Paul Barden rose bed!!! Queue the cheers! I’m taking my sunniest, south facing spot, where I previously had a three sisters garden, and I’m turning it into a rose bed. I noticed that although the spot was successful for three sisters, there was never enough corn to fertilize properly, and the inevitable Late August powdery mildew would jump ship from my cucurbits straight onto my more mildew susceptible rose varieties last close nearby.

So the cucurbits will now be grown In the backyard, the corn won’t be grown at all, and the space can now be used as a rose bed, which I hope will look nice with the broken color bed which is right next to it.

So far Marianne, Barbara Oliva, and Siren’s Keep have been planted. Etienne and Fara Shimbo will arrive in May from RVR. The man himself has generously offered to send my ever so sought after Gallicandy too. (If you hear excited squeals, it’s just me, so don’t worry). That’s should be a fabulous start. I want to put in a pair of teuteurs... one in the broken color bed, and one in the Barden bed. I’m just not sure what to try grow in them.

No pictures yet. The bed is a mess still, and bare canes aren’t super exciting. When the bed is cleaned up, edged, and mulched I will take some pictures.

Comments (6)