SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Need advise on windows in my bedroom refresh.

enduring
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I don't know where my post went that I posted an hour ago. But fortunately I copied it and so here it is again.

I'm refreshing my old small bedroom. We don't spend any time in there except to dress and sleep. I want it to look pretty and functional. I recently bought a headboard that I believe is Transitional in style. I like to change out my bedding with the seasons and color whims. Basic color is a blue with a touch of green. Here there are many paint swatches on the wall. The new duvet cover with a set of standard shams that I bought on ebay for $50. Its too big, but I can trim it down.

insert photo #1

Im painting the room in a mid toned blue with a hint of grey and green, called Tradewinds, by Sherwin Williams. I don't think any of the swatches in the above picture is actually my selection.

insert photo #2

Room is small, 12'x10' with 2 double hung windows about 27" wide. These are new vinyl windows with wood grain. Window on the west gets sun, window on the south is in the shade of a tree. The trim is taken down and I'll refinished in stain, urethane, and then replaced. It is typical 2" ranch style window casing.

I have new drapes purchased from Pottery Barn called Blue Dawn Dupioni silk in a blackout style. They are 96" long and ceilings are 8' tall. This drape is on a 1.25" pottery barn rod with large round finial:

insert photo #3

Where I plan to mount the rods:

insert photo #4

First question. I like the gathered look of the drape on the pole that I show in my room pictures. I have 1.25" pottery barn poles with finials. (I'm not sold on the large round finials, but with this photo shoot, its growing on me.) I won't be closing the drapes most of the time, but using a cellular shade instead. I don't want to get the fabric dirty by grabbing and pulling on the drapes to get them closed, as they are somewhat tight on the 1.25" rod, seen in my photos. I will be using a cellular shade for privacy in the evenings.

The only reason I can see to use the rings on my 1.25" pole is for ease of closing. I worry about the rings taking off the finish of the rod. Here are some additional pictures from the web, that I include, to illustrate a thin pole with and without rings, as an alternative to what I currently have:

insert photo #5 and #6

Are there any thoughts on this?

Do I:

1) Get a thinner rod without rings, and gather the fabric onto the rods, to help with closing once in a while?

2) Get rings for the large rod for ease of closing, which won't be done often.

3) Keep them as I have them now, shirred on the larger rod, which I like.

Second question. How high on the wall do I mount the cellular shades that I will be using? For the most part, the window drapes will be open. At night the cellular shade will be drawn, and then only until lights out. I live in the country and like having the night sky visible until dawn. I have this thought that I should mount the shades high, like the curtains, so to hide the shorter window. The trim is ugly and nothing to show off.

insert photo #7

Do I:

1) Mount the shades at the pole height?

2) Do I mount at the top of the window at the casing?

Third Question: I want to get rid of the 45 year old rug. Under this rug is 1/2" partial board over 1/2 or 3/4" ply. I was thinking of just taking the carpet out and getting a large area rug, then have it re-carpeted when I get some money together. Or I could just leave it and wait. I hate it though. What would you do? my dream would be to add hardwood to match the other areas I have installed, but I'm thinking cost now.

photo#8

Wood flooring outside bedroom:

photo #9

Comments (6)