SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mshutterbug

Brainstorm with me please! Floating shelves layout?

mshutterbug
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'd like to add some floating shelves to my kitchen design. Why? Purely to add some charm and warmth to what will otherwise be "yet another white kitchen" :) What it won't be... a place to store anything functional. I believe I have plenty of storage with or without upper cabinets in this section. I feel like with shelves and nothing at the top it feels unfinished. So, I'm trying to decide whether to leave the center section totally open, with no uppers and instead just run the molding from the top of the adjacent cabinets onto the upper wall. Like this (note the molding behind the upper shelves - I feel like this makes it feel finished).

Domino Magazine Fall 2016 · More Info

Or, do I instead put a cabinet that matches the height of the refrigerator cabinet farther down the wall. (21", which I believe would leave 36" between countertop and molding at the top)

The middle space will be approximately 60" wide. (Ceilings are 96")

So, question ONE - A) short cabinets at the top to "tie" the adjacent cabinets together? or B) Run molding, but no upper cabinet in the middle section.

A - short cabinets at top

B - no cabinets in center section, just run molding from cabinets onto wall (Just pretend there's molding in this rendering. I got tired of fighting with ikea software, and we aren't using ikea so it doesn't matter. I'm just using it to get a visual.)

Question TWO - How many shelves, what width, and how to place?

Full-width shelves that "butt" into adjacent cabinets (as in the first image I posted above)

Or, do I leave breathing room between shelves and cabinets and have them fall short of sides?

Staggered? Not staggered?

Or maybe something totally different, like these cute "boxes"

Just looking to brainstorm and I drive my hubby nuts when I start asking him about this stuff :D And he literally has no opinion about it anyway. And he doesn't bring any creative ideas (he's very creative in terms of building and solving other problems, but decorating or aesthetics of a room are not in his range of interests ;) So, thoughts? Ideas?

Comments (12)