SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelslynnvt

Living room isn't flowing

Chelsea
10 years ago
Advice needed!!

I have been working on this room, but still can't get these colors to flow together. Any recommendations for colors/prints for accent pillows or curtains would be greatly appreciated!!!

Please feel free to share any other ideas you have for the room.

Comments (979)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    I notice the post has been deleted. It was right above my post "Chels, enjoy your day at the pool".
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Chelsey, if you have time, maybe you’d like to have a look on Maria Killam’s site to help with color selection, or learn about color theory but in the most concrete ways.Maria is a young Canadian designer with a passion for color, and teaches its application in the most easily understood way..and she is just a nice person!
    She is amazing, and I have learned so much from her.
    Wishing you much joy in all your present and future decorating projects.
    http://www.mariakillam.com/2011/07/how-to-pick-paint-colours-with-confidence.html/
  • Related Discussions

Living Room Layout... when the room isn't square or rectangle

Q

Comments (7)
    My brain works a little odd -- let me offer that at the start. I guess I consider room functions first, then assign a subset of the area to achieve it. Any shape can include a (visual) square or rectangle to make the placement work. I can't move my fireplace or the flat TV, so if I get bored with a layout I draw the shape of the room and place the squares/rectangles differently to help with furniture placement. Last year I replaced a sofa with two chairs and that one part of the room became good for conversation and a perfect spot for reading by the fire. Reading this, it sounds weird. :\ My problem is I tend to incorporate the whole space rather than breaking it down into pieces. The drawing helps me focus and shows what can or can;t be done.
    ...See More

Living Room Refresh? How to make it flow better?

Q

Comments (11)
    How about some new sofas that are not dark to start. Also not reclining. A nice ottoman lets you put up your feet and still not take over the whole space. Drapes that are all one color and touch the floor for sure not dark colored. More lighting, if at all possible keep the furniture from blocking the entry into the space so maybe think a sofa and 2 chairs . Something lower for a TV stand and what I see is a great confusion over what style you want. I see formal stools with a country table . Mixing styles is an art and very rarely pulled off with real success so I would advise getting maybe some design help before buying new furniture to make this space the best it can be.
    ...See More

Small Living room - need help with color flow

Q

Comments (16)
    I agree with the above suggestions to do nothing more with your space. First of all....I love your tapestry. In the future, look to it for furnishing colors. The wood pieces...the tall chest in the windows and the altar/buffet in the recessed area, are beautiful. You have some lovely pieces. And everything that you have is neutral enough to, in the future, be used in your next home. At most...play with your pillows. Fewer, but bigger, ones. In the deep rust and the beautiful green of your chairs. That is it! And enjoy your home!
    ...See More

This living room requires to have more flow and aesthetic..any sugge..

Q

Comments (8)
    Is it possible to pull the sectional out some? The room needs some art, maybe some other colored pillows for the sectional. Switch out some for a color you like.
    ...See More
  • Kris G
    10 years ago
    Flaming has become the daily advice here. Too bad. This is the reason I stopped posting. Some people really did just want to throw out a few ideas to either be accepted or rejected.
  • Starbella
    10 years ago
    I think Chels comment about hiring someone was taken incorrectly by some. Just my opinion please don't flame me;). Chels please come back to the discussion and share your progress with us. I loved your enthusiasm and willingness to move around all your furnishings and sharing it with us. Take care
  • trolauemicol
    10 years ago
    All the best Chels. You came to the site looking for suggestions, hope you got some ideas :). I still marvel at your energy to get things done AND do a residency.

I'd love to see the finished place at some point, but would certainly understand not wanting to share :(

Again best wishes.
  • PS Coletta
    10 years ago
    Chels, I wish you the very best in your new home! I know you will take some of the advice with you to your new place. A word of caution (if I may be so bold), some designers can be very quick to spend your money. Anyone can have a million dollar room, if they spend a million dollars to get it! I see it all the time on Houzz, somebody posts a design dilemma, and a ‘designer’ pounces on them and 3 days later they have ordered furniture, rugs, lamps, pillows and everything under the sun-makes me shutter. A good designer can work within any budget, even $100. Revisit what you have already, you have great stuff! Best of luck in your new ‘digs’!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    She's not moving....her boyfriend is. She will live here for the next year.
  • PS Coletta
    10 years ago
    Sorry, I was so confused, D & D!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I understand! Yes....D & D!
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    @Margo C, I was away for three days and missed the whole teary eyed completion of the blog. You have impressed me as the most even-headed person I've met in years. Whatever caused you disappointment and anger, you have said what you felt, and for that you had the right, no apologies necessary. I, too, at some point, fell on my sword to protect Chels from wasting time and money. In return though, and with all due respect @nanlynntx, I received a thoroughly silent treatment. None of the "I do understand what you are trying to say" or perhaps "I can see what caused you discontent", but just silence. So in the end I decided to bow out and let the "circle of trust" ( thank you "Meet the Parents") finish the job, which they did. In conclusion - whatever its worth - there had been two lines of inquiry. One, looking for professional ideas/challenges and learning/teaching, the other - looking for fun/friendship/relaxation. These two did not work together very well, and in the end "professionalism" won. Chels showed all the qualities if a great professional, but she lost me as a "friend". You, my dear Margot, won me on both counts, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Cdrdesign - you lost me both professionally and as a friend. Good night everybody.
  • Natasha Assa
    10 years ago
    @Margo C, sorry misspelled your name (cross out the "t") due to auto corrector on my iPad.
  • Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No harsh feelings to anyone! I got some great advice and have been working these past couple of weeks on getting some of the smaller projects done. Sorry for the confusion, but to clear things up I will be in my apartment for the rest of the year and am just like having a pretty place:) I think it did some good for me to take some time to adjust to the changes I have made, and I am so glad I came on Houzz because I love everything that I have accomplished so far, and have learned so much along the way!

I have gotten a lot done, but am still working on some projects. The pillows just came in this past weekend, but I still have to get inserts. I think they look great! I have made the bridge for the bookcases - looks awesome!!!

Picked up some different items (they are returnable) to get an idea of what might work. Any ideas for coffee table or bookcase arrangement?
    -I like the star on top....

I am struggling with what type of centerpiece to put on the dr table. Any thoughts?
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I have missed you and have soooooo wondered how you are doing, dear one!!!
  • Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry forgot to post pics - Chair fabric was left over from my previous town home. I just have it draped at this time.
  • Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More pics of the accessories I tried
  • Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    different styles of centerpieces: none of them look right to me...
  • Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    an older pic i posted of my existing accessories
  • Starbella
    10 years ago
    Glad to see you are back:)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Hi Chelsey! So delighted that you are back
    I think your living room is coming together so nicely, you’ve done such a good job.
    For your dining room table, I would just do something not too tall, perhaps a flat platter filled with some fruits or veggies or a trailing ivy plant to add some fresh green? You might just have to play with it a bit...
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Hi Chels! You've made great progress!!!

Bookcase: the bridge and color are fabulous. Stack more pillows so wires don't show

Bookcase arrangement: Here is what to do. Pick 2 colors. How about blue and silver. Place books on the bookshelves. Intersperse the books with the blue and silver accents. Star can stay. Don't use the small photos.

So, the blue and silver plate, blue box, silver vase, blue vase. Use only those. I think you can use the candlesticks also....maybe paint them blue.(Don't worry about them now, maybe we can add them). Can you set that up and see how it looks?

coffee table: only one thing on there....maybe the mirror.

dr chairs: fabric looks great!

dr centerpiece: I like the silver vase there, but it looks lonely. Do you have a couple of other silver vases you could add of different heights?

Wow-----this is looking so fantastic!!!!!
  • Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    silver and blue - I can look for accent pieces that are silver and blue (Ill return the rest)
    Plate is gold/blue - ill look for blue and silver.
    Did the octagon mirror look good in the bookcase? Mirror vs silver?

For the dr table, what shape would be best if I just wanted to use one piece? Once I get 3 things on the table I think it will start to feel a bit cluttered. If there is an ideal shape or texture I can look around.

They also had these vase shapes at home goods.

I put some black trim on the dr light fixture. Easy to do, but not sure if black is the right color.

I'm going to change drapes - just wanted to wait for pillows (they took forever to come in)

Books missing under lamps (I used in bookcases, I'll put more under to raise height.)

I'm still keeping my eye out for the perfect ottoman.
  • Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    For coffee table I was thinking of doing a cluster of three things on a white tray like this picture. Everything I was using was too tall to see the TV when laying on the couch though..
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Plate: that plate is really cool and it looks silvery. Maybe keep that. Take the vases you have and spray-paint them silver/blue (save $)

You are getting there in bookcases

-turn all books the normal way (upright).
    -move star to the left a little
    -Don't center vases
    -need taller piece in upper left shelf

You can keep it very simple buy using only vases, books, star and that cool plate. (and the cats you already have). That way, it looks like a collection of vases.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    dr table: I really liked the silver vase there. It is a possiblitly to use just that. Alternative. Buy a tall cylindrical clear vase. Put white and silver balls in it. (Maybe put one red one in there for fun). Hobby Lobby has all of their Christmas stuff out already, so you can use ornaments if you want. Or, try those white balls. How many do you have?

Trim on chandelier. I think black looks good.

That dining room looks spectacular!!!!! Great job!

coffee table: I don't think you need anything there. You might want to put a box to put your remote controls in. Because the coffee table sits out in the middle of the room, I think you sort of want it to float in there.
  • Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was sitting on the couch this morning and decided it looks better without much on the coffee table because of the bookcases - then I read your post cdrdesign:)
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Less is more. Form follows function.

The hardest task for most people to do is to pare down their decor.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    How did you make your bridge? A shelf and L brackets?
  • Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    yep a shelf and L-bracket. Thinking about doing one more at the top and adding one more layer of shelves to the book cases.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Just thinking out loud here.......I know it was suggested to add more pillows to cover up the wires and stuff that just go with a tv hook up, but would there be a way to put a piece of wood at the back, right in front of those? I know it wouldn't be flat on the wall, of course......or how about a piece of fabric stapled to the shelf and hanging down to cover them? I have.....this thing......about outlets and wires being seen. Sickness, I know!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Abbyjean....I have the same illness. Don't worry.

But.......I said something about placing pillows there and then realizied that Chels is looking for ottomans to put there. So, I think they should be hidden.

Extra shelves: if you add them, I think it would be nice to have the dvd player in a smaller place: that is, sandwiched closer together between two shelves. You really want only the dvd player (or I guess it is your cable box) to be by itself. Then, on the opposite side you could just place a narrow box to balance it.

Then, on the to portion, you could add another shelf to each side. The bottom could be left as is, placing a large item like the plate down there.

Does that make sense?

What is really nice is that any work you do now you can take with you when you move at the beginning of the year!!
    Chelsea thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I forgot about the ottoman! WHEW!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Question: for the brown chairs, you just made pillows, right? It looks good. Can you sew?
  • Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I just folded the material over the pillows, but once I pick up some lumbar pillows I will sew the cases. My mom can sew and I don't have a sewing machine so I would have to hand stich
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Reason I asked: I don't recall why you decided on a lumbar pillow. I sort of like the look of how the square pillows looks on there.

You may want to make sure a lumbar pillows is comfortable in that chair....or would a square pillow feel better. I don't know the answer to that....you'll have to try it out.

Not saying either one is correct.....just that you might want to try the lumbar for comfort and looks as well as a square pillow for comfort and looks prior to sewing.
  • trolauemicol
    10 years ago
    How's it going Chels?
  • dakota28
    10 years ago
    i love the neutral colors and the way the table just pops because of its color. but i'd say add a center piece and put it on your table. i found some nice candle holders from OBX Trading that are really amazing. check out their Glass & Metal Coral Candleholder I think that would blend with your living room, because of the gold accent and the coral-shaped wrought iron will work well with the design of your pillows and carpet.
  • kristylou
    10 years ago
    I liked the creamy colored curtains in living room (the ones with circles I think?)
  • Claire B
    9 years ago
    http://www.harrycorry.com/kansas-mocha-eyelet-curtains half price curtains beautiful when up and maybe a classic vintage ottoman. . my first taught daring but stunning. I'm the same easy to comment on other projects but stuck on my own. Lovely room.
  • Kristina DeLeo
    9 years ago
    i don't know what the budget is, but using existing furniture, i would float the couch & place it facing the sliding glass window with a console table behind it. pairing the chairs with an interesting table between them with the backs facing the sliding glass door pulls the room closer together for conversation & doesn't visually block the window.

i would remove the lamps & end tables, also rotating the coffee table lengthwise; i'd also remove the mirror - it's too small for the space.

WHAT TO ADD - throws, pillows & accessories that incorporate the coffee table's hue across more surfaces, allowing its impact to seep in.

I like the idea of a large, industrial-styled floor-length mirror propped against the wall to reflect light & bring some visual/architectural interest to the room. if lighting is required in the room, two interesting floorlamps would add dimension to the room with a table lamp on the table in the far right corner (cropped out of picture)... also a floral arrangement or centerpiece on that coffee table would be great.

COLOR - that's hard to assess, since it's difficult to see how much natural light this room gets. personally, i prefer hardwood floors in high-traffic areas. if that rug is an indigo blue & the table red with browns & taupes worked into the room, i would work with a blue-gray on the walls perhaps or a warm greige or butter. the existing color is pretty, but very cottage-y... not sure if it works with all the elements. :)
  • PRO
    Dinah2012
    9 years ago
    Put a white or cream colored rug with gold lines in it.
  • Karen Vanelli
    9 years ago
    Dark brown accent wall behind couch...it will make it all pop!
  • jingstad
    9 years ago
    It is soooooooo late to add comments, but, here goes. I LOVE the fabric for the dining room chairs. It just finishes off the room. For a centerpiece...go to the thrift store and pick out a few different shaped bottles and a plate. Paint them with shiny chrome paint. Then ad a touch of red by place a red silk flower in 1 vase. Set all the bottles on the tray. I really really liked the red shades on the LR lamps. The bookcase bridge is really coming along nicely. Be sure to make cushions for your ottoman to match your dining room chairs. The bookcase wall really needs a bit of red. Have your thought of putting (either hanging or leaning) a picture on the top shelf area with a bit of red in it? It really would help to close up that tall space. Having the tall candlesticks there just emphasizes the "tallness". I should NOT mention this...but, the first time I looked at the room, I was wondering why you don't flip flop the couch with the bookcases/tv. The space between the patio door and the wall on the right is so much wider than the side where you have the couch. Then it wouldn't be so much in front of the patio door. Just a thought.
  • Joanna Zygo
    9 years ago
    I feel that the room is not working because of the furniture. too many little pieces of furniture and so many different styles in one space make it too cluttered. so I would start from changing that. Then think about colors, patterns and accessories. I don't feel like changing accessories or colors is going to help much without addressing the main issues first...
  • Joanna Zygo
    9 years ago
    Sorry, I didn't see previous comments. You have already done that. Thought it was a new post as it was just shared on Facebook.
  • auntiemmm
    9 years ago
    lose the rug...put down a fake oriental w/ red in it...whatever that is above the couch, get rid of it...get a long narrow old window frame w/ mirrors...couch throw pillows could be fewer and w/ a bit of red, maybe piping on burlap...take yr cue from the red coffee table...dark green or teal is complementary...
  • Anum Ismail
    9 years ago
    You need a large painting. Abstract sort. Much larger than one you have. Say 4 times larger . That alone will tie everything in place
  • PRO
    Vitale & Vitale Properties, LLC
    9 years ago
    Was this room ever completed? Can you publish the final design Chelsey used. Thanks.
  • User
    9 years ago

Who could forget the drama on Chels thread? lol

• curious4doors
    8 years ago

Did this get finished??? if not I have another suggestion.....

• bookreadkat
    8 years ago

My living room, dinning room and kitchen have the same layout. I would love to see the final pictures.