SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgh_pa

Single Story Living. Those with kids.

mgh_pa
6 years ago

My wife and I are toying around with scrapping our two story plans, and focusing on a single story home since we were intending to do a full ICF walkout basement anyways. This will allow us a little more freedom to lay out the main living area and incorporate different ceiling heights without second story interference.

My concerns (having never lived in a single story home before), is with children. We have one 2.5 yr old and another due in August. We initially thought of creating all of the bedroom space on one side of the home to keep everything close (for checking on them, laundry, noise isolation from the main living spaces, etc.). However, we have also seen it where the master and the kids rooms are split or on opposite ends of the house. I can see the merit in this layout especially when they're older, but I would definitely have concerns about their rooms being that "far" away when younger.

I hear a lot of you here mention that we need to realize our children are only little like this for so long, so we need to design for our long term needs, not the initial needs sometimes.

For those who raised young children through their adolescence in a single story home, how did you have it laid out in terms of bedrooms? Any positive or negative aspects you wish to share?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (21)