SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

Hardie 10’ panels too short for 10’ walls?

bardzil
6 years ago

Part of our addition has 10’ walls. We were planning to use Hardin board and batten. For some reason, it looks like the hardie 10’ panels are going to be too short. I don’t know if it is how my contractor does things, but walls are slightly longer on exterior. I asked at lumber supply shop and they said 10’ panels should work for spaces with 10’ walls. However they also said there should be about 18” of foundation showibelow the siding. My contractors. wall go down lower than that so there is maybe 9” of foundation showing. Is my contractor doing something wrong if the 10’ panels are too short for the 10’ walls?

also I think a horizontal seam would look strange since there would only be maybe 6-8” of additional siding needed above or below the seam - not a clean look. I have seen people use hardie soffit panels as siding because they come in 12’ lengths so would eliminate need for a seen on walls over 10’. Is the soffit material ok to use as siding? Or will it end up warping or having other durability issues. If we do use soffit material as siding, anything I should make sure my contractor does when installing?

Comments (12)