SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mononhemeter

changing floor plan in a 1930s split-level tudor

mononhemeter
6 years ago

Hello all! I would appreciate advice on changing the floor plan of my house, which is a modest three bedroom, 2 bathroom split-level. I love almost everything about the house, but in the interest of brevity I'll mention only the things I want to change:

• I don't like diagonals, including the diagonal path through the living room, the angled stove and sink, and the built-in hutch in the dining room (although I like the hutch itself and plan to reuse the face frame and doors)
  • I would like for the sunroom to be a well-defined room without the kitchen encroaching on it. It's an addition whose ceiling is not on the same plane as the kitchen and dining room ceilings (the light green area shows the location of the slanted sunroom ceiling. It starts above the other ceilings and ends at the wall of windows below the other ceilings).
  • My four kids mistake the circular pathway through the kitchen, dining room and sunroom for a running track.
  • I would prefer that the kitchen were along an exterior wall with windows. Right now it borders the garage and wood shop .
  • I would prefer a powder room and pantry (preferably with space for a freezer) to multiple living spaces on the main floor.

I have tried to devise a floor plan for more than a year now (while tied up with remodeling rentals), and the one below is my leading contender. The double dining room doors would be pocket doors with glass to allow light into the hallway. There is unfortunately no pantry, but there is a butler's pantry that would have a tall pantry cabinet on one side. It's also unfortunate that changing the stairs would require changing the garage door to swing out into the garage. My main hesitation with the plan, aside from the fear of completely ruining a house that was thoughtfully planned when built, is that having the dining room at the front of the house and the kitchen between the dining room and living room is a weird configuration.

Current floor plan

Proposed floor plan

Looking at kitchen from sunroom

Looking toward dining room and exterior door from sunroom.

I would appreciate any criticism, suggestions or comments. Thanks!

Comments (34)