SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
araphael39480

Unknown Cactus Variety and Struggling Cactus Owner

araphael39480
6 years ago

Several months ago in a dark corner of my house, I discovered a cactus that had been living there for about a year with no water. Somehow it was still pretty green after that. It's now living in the best lit room in the house and I water it whenever I remember, which is about two to four times a month and only enough water to moisten the soil. Presumeably I'm not abusing it too much, since it's started growing another little nub, but I've noticed that there's a tiny bit of brown on the bottom of the main stem. It came from my 90 year old grandpa who, in his day, was a cactus hobbyist with hundreds of cacti and two greenhouses. He doesn't remember what kind of cactus it is, and I haven't taken it out of the pot or soil it's been living in. The only thing I vaguely remember him telling me is that I would need to snip the arms and plant them in another pot at some point ipn the future.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about keeping cacti alive and the wealth of information on the internet has been a little overwhelming. What kind of cactus it is seems to be a good place to start and if anybody has any tips or links to where I can find more information on keeping the thing alive and happy, my cactus and I would be infinitely grateful!

Hopefully the pictures are good enough - if they need to be better, I can give my photography skills another go. The plant's upwards of two feet.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH