SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mina_ghanaie_zarelli

Please help me pick out shrubs (Zone 8b PNW)

M Z
6 years ago

I've figured out my landscape design layout but having such trouble picking out shrubs!

I've ripped out the rhododendrons blocking this window and along the fence. I need to plant some evergreen shrubs to cover the ugly foundation piping and all along the 4' high picket fence. I want to add some privacy, (this photo was taken from the public sidewalk on the other side of fence) but not necessary to block it out completely with a solid hedge.

This side of house is south facing and gets lots of sun except early morning. Plants need to have low/moderate water needs. No rhodies. I don't care much for flowers, but foliage contrast and color is important to me.

I was thinking for the bigger fence shrubs - Arbutus Unedo Compacta on either sides of the sidewalk, and I like Osmanthus, Choisya ternata, oakleaf hydrangea, ninebark, smoke tree.. Do those all work together? For the shrubs along the house, I was thinking 3 big Hebes or Euonymus, Boxwood, Ilex, Escallonia, etc... What should I put in the areas marked with stars to tie it all together?

I really like Black Eyed Susans, and like the purple, yellow, grey, dark green colors. Would Carex work ok as a border. Please help! Thank you!

Comments (10)