SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meluky

kraftmaid or another cabinet brand?

meluky
6 years ago

I have been going to various kitchen designers and each one is affiliated with a different cabinet brand. How do I know which one is going to be good? Is there some kind of comparison chart out there? For example, I have seen Kraftmaid (at a kitchen design place, not at Lowes or HD), Crystal, Christiana, Neff, Medallion, Shrock, and Omega. I am getting Miele appliances so that may play into the decision. Otherwise, what am I really looking for? All the cabinets look good at the showroom. They all look custom and have the plywood box with wood doors. Interior is maple or birch. Cabinet doors may be cherry or painted maple (haven't decided yet). They all have dovetail and soft closure. I know some of the lower cost cabinet makers may not come in my door style, but aside from pure aesthetics, is there a quality difference?

Kraftmaid seems to be the cheapest in cost but I would want something that lasts. I don't have experience with Kraftmaid and if the cabinets would hold up in time.

Comments (90)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

We sell a lot of Kraftmaid and have experienced no quality changes since they were sold. Their finishes and condition of the boxes have been exceptional. And their customer service is spot one.

For the person dealing with a delay, you can blame Covid. Like many manufacturers throughout the country, they had to completely shut down. Nothing was being made. Once they made their factories safe , they were able to start production again with reduced shifts. You can imagine the delays.

You will always find good and bad reviews. You need to go with what gives you the look you want and some comfort that it will last. A lot of that will depend on you. I have walked into active kitchens - lots of cooking, multiple people prepping and the space looks fine. I have also walked into "high end " kitchens with high use and they looked worn out - chipped , cracked etc.

Hope you find the perfect fit for you

meluky thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Celadon
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Kraftmaid puts out a lovely mid grade cabinet. Their acquisition by Cabinetworks has not changed that. Mid grade is not upper end. But does not have upper end pricing either. If you want upper end quality, that is certainly available. Have the upper end budget that matches 80-120K worth of custom cabinetry in your budget, if that is your wish.

Dropping any cabinet on a corner is abuse, not normal wear that any would be expected to have. Have realistic expectations please.

Covid impacted the timelines a few months ago, but they are back to normal lead times now.

meluky thanked Celadon
  • Related Discussions

Kraftmaid Cabinet Pricing Has to be a Crock of S--T

Q

Comments (15)
    I have a Bradco, but they do not open on weekends. How stupid is that? I actually had a conversation several months back with their manager about this saying to him what about those of us who work full time jobs, no less commute into other states to do so? I mean, I live in NJ, and commute into NYC. I don't get home until nearly 7:30 pm every night, and my job does not allow me to easily take off enough to go back and forth to deal with this whole kitchen thing. Weekend availability is absolutely crucial to me. In fact, if I didn't have a partner out of work right now and recovering from surgery (we knew the timing of it as we went into this and knew he would be available to oversee things for several months), most likely I would not have purchase this particular home. Unfortunately the one thing he can't do is deal with the kitchen particulars - he's clueless on that account :p I digress. As for Ikea, if my house were modern I would have been there in a heartbeat. However, it's a 1915 arts and crafts home and I'm trying to keep it as close to what it's original state was. Ikea, just isn't going to cut it in this case, although I do love their style. Kraftmaid - out of all of the semi-custom makers was my preference as I'd used it before and was extremely happy with it the way it stood up over time for 10 years. I got so many compliments on my old kitchen. I certainly couldn't afford anything custom, and I looked at other brands in the same price range and was not as happy with them (or they were not easily found where I live - again having to take ease of availability into mind). Certainly was not going to go with thermafoil for this home although it crossed my mind for a moment - but a glaring white kitchen amongst all the dark wood of the house felt wrong. So I'm off to the KD today to see how I can whittle away the price. Like I said, either it's using the other brand which was ok and comparable other than where it was manufactured and, not as many choices of colors or, taking out some cabinetry and waiting until next year to finish it off (which, would be ok by me - I did this in my old kitchen too). So many considerations to make. All I know is that I can't allow myself to spend more than my budget, or at least not THAT much more!
    ...See More

Amish built cabinets vs. Kraftmaid

Q

Comments (34)
    When asking such a question many things depend on the answer. Not all Amish cabinets are build and made the same. Just like every carpender does not do the same quality of work. If you are just looking at the price factor that is going to be easy. Go for the cheaper price. But if your looking at the entire picture ask yourself these questions: Can I get a replacement part and or will they still be around in a year if I have a problem? Is the entire cabinet construction the same. What are the sides, backs, drawer boxes, shelves, and glides made of? Finish.....THIS IS HUGE usually a factory baked on finish will surpass any local shop as they have perfected the process and have years doing so. But that isnot to say a local guy cant do a great job. But in time you want to make sure the finish will remain as nice as they day you had it installed. This is a huge issue I have seen in the past. Custom sizes, most companies (in the lower end) use 3" sizes. Custom cabinet makers can help so fillers may not be needed as often. Ask to look at jobs they have done 6 months ago to a longer and see how the cabinets are holding up. I also have to add the point that KraftMaid is not your only option in this price point. Home centers offer that line and consumers feel they are getting a great value bc its a big box center. Only to be let down they have forgotten items and have a HUGE damage rate. If its about price I have to be honest when a client asks me to match the home centers I love it. I make more money. The home centers have won your hearts and deceived your minds in thinking big box discounts are only to be found there. Most small business can offer you a good quality cabinet for the same price and maybe even less. Educate yourself on another line and before you buy be sure your getting all the items you need and things will not be an add on later. Another line you should consider is Waypoint. I found they are a better value than KraftMaid and drop ship to your house. I never lost a job on price when quoting this line. I hope this helped and consider all your options :)
    ...See More

Are KraftMaid and Merillat considered mid-grade cabinets? Help me!

Q

Comments (4)
    I always use Kraftmaid, but I also install them myself. I have never had a problem with any of the 3 bathrooms and 2 kitchen remodels I have done over the years. I always get the best hinges, pullout doors etc, that they offer, and I usually go overboard on the amount of screws I use to attach them to the wall and to each other. If a wall cabinet is over a certain size I will go with a "No Butt" frame for added strength. I am sure they are not top of the line but I want a good cabinet at a good price and that is what I have received from Kraftmaid. Here is the kitchen that I just finished. I have owned 3 personal homes in my life, the two that I sold I made over $600k in profits, and this last home I could probably make another $75k but this is our "last" one.. I write this only to show I have some good, practical experience. Good luck...
    ...See More

Cabinet Brands: Design Craft (Medallion), KraftMaid, or Showplace

Q

Comments (37)
    The Kitchen Place, Kraftmaid all plywood Sonata Maple in Canvas Suede. A Kraftmaid rep did come to our home to see the issues and in response stated, "in relation to the cabinet boxes with the thin paint finish the best way to remedy that issue will be to install decoratvie panels and use touch up paint for any areas the panels will not cover." Masco mailed us a can of spray paint which stated on the instuctions that is was only to be applied wearing appropriate protective breathing apperatus in well ventilated area. Difficult as the cabinets were already installed. I will try to post photos of chipped door edges tomorrow for you. www.kitchenreviews.com/cabinets/reviews/kraftmaid/ There are reviews for 2019 here and most express the same problems.
    ...See More
  • HU-810305668
    3 years ago

I purchased a full kitchen and pantry set of KraftMaid custom cabinets 21 years ago. They have truly stood the test of time. I recently began having a problem with one of the drawers becoming loose and not wanting to close properly. Called KraftMaid this morning and within minutes had an order for a replacement drawer to be shipped to me. No questions asked. No charge. I would absolutely recommend these to anyone. 100%

• donraymar10
    3 years ago

Who purchased Kraftmaid? China? A United States Company? Where does manufacturing take place?

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

Cabinetworks Group that purchased KraftMaid is based in North America with nearly a couple of dozen locations for service and manufacturing in the United States: https://cabinetworksgroup.com/about/

• donraymar10
    3 years ago

Thank you.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

Don't let the purchase of the company bother you. If you look at any company out there, they are often owned by larger parent / holding companies. Kraftmaid is still doing business as they did, in the same facilities, I even speak with the same customer service people.

• cowboy347
    3 years ago

Their customer care people are not helpful. I received 3 different answers from 3 different people. I waited 6 weeks for cabinets. The delivery was 2 cabinets short. The first person said they had to wait 48 hours to search before reorder. And it would be 7 to 10 days. The 2nd person said no more like 2 weeks. I called today 2 weeks later and was told it would be a month. They lost the cabinets and I have to wait 4 weeks to get replacements. There is nothing they can do. I asked to talk to a manager and the customer care person transferred me to delivery I think just to get rid of me. I wasn't yelling or anything, I was actually crying.

• meluky
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@cowboy347 I am sorry to hear your situation. Will they refund you any money for the mix-up?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    3 years ago

7-10 days usually means business days....so that is two weeks.

But I'm confused. Why would you be talking to Kraftmaid Customer Care? That is usually for the dealer (or box store) not for the homeowner.

But anyway Cowboy, they should have expedited it quicker for you the second go around. However........This is not the norm, nor is it normal times right now. One person in the line gets sick or they are traced to someone with Covid....a whole department gets shut down. It's now taking 3-5 days to even get a test and then days for results. So someone or a whole department could be down for days to weeks. It's slowing everything down.

I just tried going to the BMV (ohio) and they were closed. Just a sign...closed til Monday. I can only guess it's Covid related.

I know it's tough to wait. But you can live without a kitchen. Be happy for your health. One day you'll look back and probably laugh.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

I agree - your problems should be handles by whomever you ordered the cabinets through.

During normal times, Kraftmaid delivery is 4-5 weeks. Around holidays , it goes another week out. With all the Covid issues, their cabinets are taking 8 weeks. Replacements are also taking longer. We received notice Oct 30th, that they were no longer guaranteeing Pre Christmas deliveries.

There are also certain finishes that take longer to get as well.

Personally I have never had the problems you are having - sounds like it is an issue with the delivery agent. They are supposed to be using a scan on /scan off system to prevent this from happening.

Hopefully this get resolved soon...

Good luck

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    3 years ago

Agree w/ Debbi. They don't just lose cabinets at KM...it's pretty rare actually. So sorry it happened to you Cowboy. Probably delivery error. BTW, Debbie, I ordered a Medallion kitchen on 10/21/20 and it won't arrive until the first week of January. THAT'S 11 WEEKS FOR A SEMI-CUSTOM CABINET! Crazy times we're in.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    3 years ago

JuneKnow...hahahahaha. I love how you put things.

• cowboy347
    3 years ago

Thank you for all you comments. I was feeling really down about it today. I ordered the cabinets 9/26 with a tentative date of 10/27 which after a week changed to 11/10. That gave me plenty of time for installation and getting the countertop in by Christmas. When the delivery guy delivered 16 boxes, I told him right off he was 2 boxes short and wouldn't sign. He said that's all the boxes he was given and so I was only signing for the 16 boxes on the paperwork. I called kraftmaid customer care and they said all 18 boxes left the mfg plant. To this day, they cant find those 2 boxes. So i was expecting the 2 boxes in 2 weeks. When I called today, she said December 8 and nothing can be done about it. So after receipt, installation, having the countertop people come measure, and 2weeks to fabricate the countertop, it won't be done by Christmas and everyone was coming to my house this year so will just have to get my sister in law to take it. I'm just frustrated with kraftmaid customer care take it or leave it attitude.

• Celadon
    3 years ago

The last day to order cabinets for a guaranteed complete before Christmas gut remodeling project is August 1 in a normal BC year. Before Covid. AC? Who the heck knows. This year, probably May 1 will be when we can backdate to know that we should have started the project by. There’s just too much delays and unknowns, and work stoppages because of now someone’s testing positive and has to quarantine for 14 days. 3 times on one job alone.

Of course it’s take it or leave it. No one’s got a miracle up their sleeve. Don't be unreasonable here. Everyone’s having a rotten year. Not just you. Broaden your viewpoint to the world around you. You’re not the only one that can’t get together with family this year. Canceling Christmas is actually the most responsible thing you could do for everyone concerned. Stay home and Zoom.

• cowboy347
    3 years ago

Thank you for letting me know Kraftmaid lied to me. Also, I'm not cancelling Christmas but thanks again for your information.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

I am sorry you are dealing with this. I don't know who you ordered this through, but they should have been taking care of this! I don't know if it would have been done quicker but there are things gong wrong here I find troubling.

ALL my Kraftmaid orders are scheduled and that date does not change. It is built into their system as part of their production line timing. At what point was the delivery pushed off 2 weeks? and how were you notified? Not that any of this can help you now, but it may be informative for others.

Where are the missing cabinets in your run?? Can you still template without them?? what size are they? Maybe go get stock cabinets from Depot and put them in place to save some time in the process, then use them as storage in the garage or something...

Keep us posted!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

Did you ever get your cabinets??

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    3 years ago

One more thing I'll say. Don't ever try to do a big remodel with a special occasion deadline! It's just not a good idea!!! Over the years, I have learned my lesson on this. I won't guarantee anything because people will lose their minds over this. Things happen and it's a domino effect of delays. If you're layed back and easy going and don't care if it's not 100% complete, then that is OK for you. Kitchen remodeling can be stressful enough for some....don't add to it by trying to get it done in time for a holiday, a wedding, a graduation party....etc. Just don't do it!

• cowboy347
    3 years ago

Thank you Debbi for your constructive suggestions. My cabinets were due Nov 10th. Two cabinets were missing. I immediately called to let them know. Over the next few weeks, I talked to 3 different customer service people at Kraftmaid and each told me a different time frame to replace the cabinets. I was very upset when I made the first postings so maybe lying might be a bit strong. I think they need more training. It made the situation worse because the story kept changing. The first two never gave me a specific date Person 1 -7 to 10 days and then Person 2- 2 weeks. The third person stated December 8th which was 4 weeks. She told me the first two should not have given me a timeframe without a schedule. I did call the company where I ordered the cabinets and was told there was nothing they could do to improve the date. I did receive the replacement cabinets on December 8th. The countertop people did the template that week and the countertop and sink is due to arrive on December 23rd - tomorrow! My house was built in 1976 and I still had the original cabinets so very excited to be getting new cabinets. I do not make large purchases very often.

To the Kitchen Place: I placed the order in September. The person called Kraftmaid while I was sitting there. I told them up front I didn't want the kitchen tore up at Christmas and should I wait to order. The Kraftmaid person said they were scheduling 4 to 6 weeks out so I would get them in November. About a week later, I got a call from Kraftmaid stating Nov 10th delivery. I have never purchased anything like this and had no clue the shipment would have a problem. I am lucky though because I have found other people online with worse issues with Kraftmaid. One person also had her shipment due Nov 10th and did not get it. They had put it on the wrong truck. By the time she got the shipment weeks later, she had damaged cabinets to deal with. I feel lucky to be getting this situation resolved but Kraftmaid definitely needs to work on their customer service and the information that they put out.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

I'm just so sorry. I guess I am lucky. As a designer, I have dealt with Kraftmaid for over 20 years . While there have been some delays and longer replacement lead times due to Covid, I have never had a scheduled kitchen have to change delivery date unless there was a snowstorm.

What I don't understand is why you are calling Kraftmaid and not the person who took your money? Not that it really matters right now.

• PRO
    Hrivnak Associates, LLC
    3 years ago

Agree with the Kitchen Place - I learned the "never do a project with a special occasion deadline" lesson recently. Time challenges from the GC and the permit review people were minor compared to delays from the Owner. Big surprise coming: the Owner blames everyone else. No possible way to make them happy - even though the final deadline was met. The design was wonderful - got an international design award - client still not happy. Lesson learned. Kraftmaid cabinets? I've had great experiences with them and their willingness to fix things promptly and without hassle.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    3 years ago

Hrivnak, I won't do it anymore. If people say they have a wedding reception or graduation party in May and ask if I can guarantee it will be finished??? I tell them probably...but things can happen. There's no way I will guarantee it. It's better to wait!

OP, wasn't trying to shame you for trying...just wanted to point it out to others and share my years of experience in the industry.

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

My kitchen cabinets were delayed 7 months this year with 6 different promised delivery dates. One of those delivery dates was communicated as being so firm that I based my timing to rip out the old kitchen on it so new flooring could be installed to be ready for the cabinets coming a week later. Then they didn't arrive for 2 more months. The dealer was a private builder but supposedly a reputable one. Just beware that anything can happen. Even companies that once had stellar reputations can take turns for the worse. It's best to read as many recent reviews of a cabinet company as you can find across the web before placing an order, and if finding reviews isn't possible, ask to see samples of work and to talk to a previous customer or two.

• Isaac
    3 years ago

I just bought a kitchen full of Kraftmaid cabinets through Home Depot and I am extremely disappointed with their build quality. Amazingly I paid over $12,000 (on sale from $15,500) for an average sized kitchen so I assumed they would be made well. When they were delivered about 50% of the cabinets had significant damage or defects. I took pictures and sent to my designer at HD and they sent replacements for the bad ones, of which many were worse than the first lot! I sent pictures again and received a third delivery of cabinets which were just as bad! If they didn't have damage from being abused, they were just made wrong. Many were not square or had pieces mis-aligned so they wouldn't sit correctly on the wall. I strongly recommend avoiding Kraftmaid cabinets!

• itsourcasa
    3 years ago

@Isaac wow what a nightmare!! We had the complete opposite experience. We got ours through Lowes but I can't imagine that makes any difference. Are you returning and starting over?

• Aglitter
    3 years ago

@Isaac KraftMaid was acquired by another firm recently, and there has been debate in Houzz threads about whether or not that affected the quality. Some designers who sell the brand say no while some other people, usually customers, like you have been let down with recent orders. Even before the acquisition, KraftMaid had somewhat of a reputation for sloppy tolerances with measurements. I read about that in old GardenWeb posts archived here including a mention by the famous cabinet expert "Sophie," and I was able to also observe that problem with measurements myself on several showroom displays of cabinetry and avoided the brand primarily for the measurement tolerance reason.

I know that $12K seems a fortune just for cabinetry, but to be honest, the cost of cabinets is quite high these days. What you received for that price for a medium-sized kitchen would be considered in the budget range. To order cabinets from a brand considered mid-range, you are looking into the $20K range (not including installation) for most cabinetry orders for a kitchen, and that's not for a large kitchen at all. If you are looking at returning the entire order and starting over, I encourage you to look at Jay Rambo, a little company in Tulsa, Oklahoma, that does outstanding work, or Plato Woodworking's Prelude line or William Ohs' Ascend line, both entry-level lines to excellent manufacturers. You'd need to up your budget, but you'd get practically perfect cabinetry with a lifetime warranty on the finish. Depending on how many cabinets you have and the style, you might be able to hit under $20K with Jay Rambo and into the low $20Ks with Prelude or Ascend for a medium-sized kitchen. Be sure to get hard quotes and not just talk to some sales rep who might try to scare you with pricing. These 3 lines I've mentioned are created to help people just like you get a pathway into luxury brands at the lowest possible pricing.

• Carly D
    3 years ago

On our cabinet order, there were multiple issues with delays, but after about 10 weeks we finally got our order in. Unfortunately, the whole linen cabinet was warped with seams coming apart and exposed staples (a couple representative photos attached). Sounds similar to another poster who described them not being square That was a frustrating experience and we ended up waiting another 6 weeks (16 weeks total) to get the cabinet that we had ordered. KraftMaid told our dealer that they would not "rush" our order even though they had delivered an unacceptable product. I have also had issues with their customer service sending the wrong sample and then having to argue with them over a $3 sample, and refusing to honor the rebate form they sent for the samples (a mere $62 rebate after THOUSANDS of dollars of cabinetry). AVOID KraftMaid at all costs, or hope and pray that there are no issues because their customer service is terrible. I have never had a customer service rep refuse to let me speak to a supervisor, but they did.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    3 years ago

My KM rep was here the other day and told me that Covid has really hit a lot of manufacturers really hard. Especially ones that are in small towns, like Shiloh. One of the main issues I never thought about was child care for these workers. All the kids were in lock down at home and there wasn't enough people in the town to provide daycare. Kraftmaid was also hit hard.....when someone got Covid, an entire department was told to go home for two weeks. So, their labor force was spread thin....and the person in the finish department that is very skilled is now at home while they train some newbie to finish your cabinets. This is what's happening. It's getting better. But I think that's why there is some quality control issues from a lot of companies this past 12 months.

• Pam Cox
    2 years ago

NEVER buy Kraftmaid. 100% of my order was damaged and they are refusing to replace and/or reimburse me for the cabinets. The cabinets have paint splotches, uneven paint job, cracked joints, and various other defects. On top of all of that their customer services sucks! Going back and forth with Lowes for the last 6 months and now I was told if I wanted a better paint job I should have purchased the cheaper MDF line???? I plan to put this review up anywhere on the internet I can find asking for a review of Kraftmaid! DO NOT BUY KRAFTMAID!!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

I am quite shocked to hear about the lack of customer service. Yes there have been some quality control issues as well as delivery issues ( cabinets getting dropped or banged ) , but I never had any problems getting replacements. I can do it through the dealer portal with a photo and it gets taken care of and is given a priority shipping so it doesn't take 6-8 weeks for a part.

I am in an independent dealer - so I cannot speak about the process through the big box stores if it is different.

@Pam Cox Has Lowes even had a rep sent to your home to inspect? Usually when there is a lot of damage, that is something they do typically. Lowes should also be working with Kraftmaid to fix this. I hope it can be resolved.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

I would like to see pictures of your flawed KraftMaid cabinets. Keep in mind, with paint, there is never perfection. I have KM in my new office, their are joint line cracks....that's to be expected with any painted cabinet. It's the nature of the beast. But please post the pics. I have a couple KM kitchens coming in soon and I would like to see what they're putting out lately.

• Pam Cox
    2 years ago

These pictures are just a sampling. I have no understanding how bad paint jobs and cracks and scratches could be considered 'normal'???

• itsourcasa
    2 years ago

@Pam Cox i'm also shocked to hear the issues you're having and them not doing anything about it. We literally had an opposite experience with both lowes and kraftmaid. What has been going on the last 6 months? It should be a simple "we will replace that" response, I wonder if lowes is actually communicating with kraftmaid at all..

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Pics are too close up...and everything is zoomed in and high def. I can't tell what I'm looking at with 2 or 3 of your pics. Post a few more showing the areas further back please.

Regardless, I agree with Mary Jane. Product expectations are a bit high. Some of these are not that bad and touch ups are to be expected to some degree. rule of thumb when taking photos for a warranty is about 3 feet away. There are some that definitely need replacement and KM should do that for you, no problem!

• Aglitter
    2 years ago

If you click on each photo, it will enlarge with greater detail. I'm not a dealer nor do I consider myself picky (I painted my own cabinetry for my recent remodel), but I would find those flaws unacceptable even for touch-up considerations. You can see additional flaws surrounding the marked flaws in the enlarged photos. Again, you must click on each one individually to see it in full. For the prices this consumer probably paid, I understand the frustration.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

I sell Kraftmaid and I would send in these photos for my customers and would get replacements with out even blinking an eye. I do not understand why no one is helping out. Did you call Kraftmaid direct?

Also - please don't leave that blue tape on there - I was told a long time ago to never leave painter's tape on a cabinet unless it is the one for very delicate surfaces. I'm not sure if it is true but I wouldn't take the chance.

So sorry you are going through this.

• itsourcasa
    2 years ago

@Debbi Washburn exactly, we needed a toekick after one was damaged and they sent it no problem, no charge, no questions asked. Also needed a matching can of paint to paint the back side of the island and they sent it next day. This was pre-pandemic... but I wouldn't have let this go on for 6 days let alone 6 months, hoping she comes back to explain.

• Pam Cox
    2 years ago

When I saw the responses back from Mary Jane and The Kitchen Place I nearly cried. I cannot believe that someone can spend $13k on cabinets and then be told that their expectations are too high because I should be satisfied with scratches and bad paint jobs. I am glad to hear that there are others out there who agree this is not acceptable.

When I first notified Lowes of the issues (2 days after receipt of delivery) they said to take pictures and send them in. Lowes in turn sent those pics to the KM regional rep who came to visit my house to inspect first hand. She fought me all the way (was RUDE) and then finally agreed to replace the upper cabinet faces 'as a one time courtesy' and provide decorative panels to cover up the damages on the lowers (since my countertops had already been installed.) That was an acceptable fix and we proceeded with that plan. However over the course of the last 4 months, they sent replacements that were just as damaged as the originals. Making sure my expectations were not out of whack I requested that any more shipments be sent to Lowes directly so they could inspect them and ONLY after they pass Lowes inspection would the cabinets be delivered to me. Again, I agreed.

Finally last week (remodel started in FEBRUARY) Lowes is telling me they finally have all the cabinet faces in and ready for delivery. However for the first time since February, they provided me an invoice of what the replacement shipment contained and it is not all the cabinet faces. Kraftmaid is now saying they only agreed to replace a portion of the cabinets as they were the only ones that had significant damage and the others I reported were 'normal' and/or I probably caused the damage myself. (The pictures I posted above are they ones they considered fine?????)

This week Lowes is saying they are closing this issue out and that is all they are going to do. No further replacements and no compensation. I have contacted the BBB, KraftMaid, Lowes, and even emailed the CEO of Lowes directly. No one will assist me. I am afraid I am out of options and thus I strongly encourage everyone to not roll the dice and hope the OLD reputation of KM is still good. Trust me, it is NOT! They no longer deserve a reputation of quality cabinetry at a reasonable price. Stay clear of KraftMaid and Lowes!!!!

• Pamela Cox
    2 years ago

You have no idea what state I live in nor how many sq feet my kitchen is so please do not pass judgement on me because 13k apparently is nothing to you. I guess $13k doesnt justify a quality product in your opinion. From where I'm sitting the 'end product' you are telling me to focus on is the kitchen I've been planning for years with an eye sore of a paint job and a manufacturer telling me to go pound sand! These are multi billion dollar companies and replacing what they to replace means next to nothing to their bottom line!!!! I stand by my comments people...DO NOT BUY KRAFTMAID!!

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

I don't think I was too harsh...I agreed some of what you posted definitely required replacements.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but EVERY cabinet manufacturer is having more quality control issues right now than what is "normal". Not just KraftMaid. And especially with painted cabinets!!! Painted cabinets have always had more issues...it's the nature of the beast. And some minor touch ups are to be expected unless you get top of the line luxury cabinets. This is why a touch up kit is always included with cabinets.

I think Lowes was your biggest problem as your advocate with Kraftmaid. An independent dealer is more vested in your happiness. But the KM rep should have followed up and made sure all was completed for you. Box stores are very frustrating when there are issues.

Advice to all: report the damage BEFORE the cabinets are installed. They should be inspected by the homeowner. If you can't personally inspect them, then your installer should. Report to the dealer first...in writing or in email to document the issues with photographs. Get them to acknowledge the flaws/damage before you begin installing. Once installed, it's more complicated. And once the tops are installed...forget getting any base cabinet replacements. Doors and drawer fronts only.

Once your dealer or box stores acknowledges the flaws/damage, then replacements can be ordered and you can continue on with the installation so it doesn't delay the job. But document it all as soon as possible. Also...don't store the cabinets for weeks or months...as much as a pain as it is, open and inspect before storing them away. It's much harder to get replacements if you wait a long time.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

Not to make things worse, but there has to be more to this story.

I have had Kraftmaid send a furniture medic to repair peeling paint in a kitchen ( 3 years old ) , A brand new cabinet ordered for a 5 year old kitchen an d a custom sized door replaced on a current kitchen - we are on our 5th reorder. All this within the past 3 months. I've also had several kitchens go in without an issue at all.

I truly hope you can get some help to fix the kitchen. Keep reaching out and documenting the progress.

To every one else..as stated above - do not install cabinets without inspecting them first. Most manufacturers do not do any damage replacement if cabinets have been installed because there is no way of knowing who cause the damage. This is not a kraftmaid thing, it is an industry standard these days.

I don't know if this would have helped more with Pamela's job or not...

• Pam Cox
    2 years ago

Thank you @The Kitchen Place for your clarification. As you can imagine I am a little emotional about this renovation that has gone on for more than 6 months!

Just an FYI about the installation...I realize in hindsight that we should have never installed the cabinets knowing what the damage was and the treatment I would be receiving, however it made sense at the time as the contractor was scheduled, the countertop special order had arrived and if I did not keep my templating and installation appointments, rescheduling the countertops would not be possible for another 6 weeks. The original plan had more than enough time for all of the work HOWEVER Kraftmaid delayed my order by weeks and I ran out of time. As it was, even though I had paid for home delivery, my contractor had to goto a warehouse dock (not Lowes) to pick them up himself because they told us they would not be able to deliver them for another 2 weeks. Lowes was made aware of this the minute I opened the first box and found damage and they told us to go ahead with the installation and just take pictures. UGH! 4 months later and conveniently they have no documentation of this.

• itsourcasa
    2 years ago

@Pam Cox when you contact Kraftmaid directly, what do they say?

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    2 years ago

You're welcome...sorry it's causing stress. I get it. I'm working on about 30 kitchens right now...all in differing stages. 8 months ago....I counted 50! And people always say, "Oh, it must be so much fun to be a kitchen designer". hahahaha Actually I love my job, but not for the faint of heart.

So next time...if you ever decide to remodel a kitchen again LOL....don't go with a box store. Sure, some might have a good "designer". But turnover is high and the chain of command is so convoluted when there are issues. From what I've heard....No one wants to make you happy...they want to pass the buck or have you just go away. They just don't care. Next, be sure to document via email or in writing. Not a text. From what a lawyer once told me, emails can be evidence...texts not so much. Not sure if that's true or not...just what I've heard.

If you're anywhere near Cincinnati, I know a great touch up company! If not, call local antique refinishers....they often know of a good furniture repair company. The one in Cincy is very reasonable...just a few hundred typically to come to your home.

• brandi
    2 years ago

Pam Cox you have every right to feel ripped off after spending 13k on defective cabinets. Anyone who tries to make it sound like your fault because of the timing of your remodel or or the expectations you had is gaslighting you.

I put Kraftmade cabinets into a home I bought in 2013. They were fantastic and still looked brand new when I sold the place in 2020. Even with 3 kids and 4 dogs! I didn't think twice about putting kraftmaid into the house I bought in 2020, but I lived to regret it.

The cabinets came with scratches dents and glue running down the insides. All of the laminate surfaces were bubbling and buckling and rippling. I worked with the dealer and Kraftmade, but they really don't want to help you. They sent me new sheets of laminate to glue down myself and replacement shelves and new doors to pay a contractor to install. That's really not how it is supposed to go. In the end they gave me a free medicine cabinet!! It totally wasn't worth all the troubles. I see the flaws every day when I'm using these cabinets in my kitchen. The change of ownership really affected the quality!

Keep fighting for them to make it right.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

I feel horrible for all of you going through this. I sell 30 -40 Kraftmaid kitchens a year . And yes - there are problems and quality control issues. We photograph the issues, go online, up load the photos and reorder. In a matter of minutes it's done.

If there is an excessive amount of damage, then we photograph and email the rep to determine if a field visit is needed or I I can just send it al in to be processed.

I don't understand why there is such a problem out there....

As far as scheduling of jobs, I know it stinks when something goes wrong, but that is the nature of the beast. We have to cancel countertop templates and postpone tilers, etc when something gets held up because of a cabinet issue. Any in this business is well aware of the consequences of pushing forward to stay on a schedule ( that should never be written in stone ) . The homeowner should have been made aware of the problems that could arise so there would be no surprises.

I just hope that everyone gets things fixed! I feel terrible for you all!

• brandi
    2 years ago

My cabinets arrived with obvious paint chips and holes on many of the faces, punctures right in the finished surface, messy crumbly joints that had been painted over, but the worst is the interior laminate is all screwed up and looks like water damage on many surfaces. They did not send a cabinet medic or give me any money back. They sent me raw materials to try and find someone to pay out of my own pocket to fix their defects.

• brandi
    2 years ago

Every shelf had peeling laminate. They sent replacement shelves and they were worse than the first batch. They connected me with a rep and I was offered a free medicine cabinet. The interior surface is just decomposing with regular use after only 1 year. Their warranty is useless because they wouldn't resolve these defects when the cabinets were still brand new.

Do not base your expectations on the brands legacy. They are different now and offer a much lower grade product.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

I'm sorry I have no answers for you. I would not have had an issue getting a replacement for any of those items from the beginning. Even now. This should have all been handled by where you purchased the cabinets from .

Also - all cabinet companies will send out replacement parts or warranty parts, but do not supply and labor to change out doors or install new parts. That's pretty much an industry standard.

So sorry !!