SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikkisp11

Please help make my house less awkward!

Nikki D
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My house needs some dimension. I have consulted several architects that seemed slightly baffled by the house and basically said we will dump atleast 150k into the exterior and still never have a "show house". I'm not looking for a show house, just a less awkward house. I also do not want to dump that kind of money into the exterior alone.
A few points to mention:
- If I build out more than 2 feet I will need to go for a township variance.
- I plan to replace the siding and do something with the windows so they don't look so tiny and weird. The windows are actually somewhat newer so if i can do something to trim them out more that would be great.
- I plan to keep the white brick on the bottom. Some suggested we paint it, but I don't exactly want to take something that requires no maintenance and make it the opposite.
- I don't want to move the front door or cut into the brick. I wouldn't be oppose to building an overhang or small porch or enclosing that little nook to add a front door that way. Just need some ideas.
- we use the side door by the garage for entry into the home due to it's proximity to the driveway.
- i will need to consider the back porch as well into this plan, which I plan to nix the crappy screens do actual windows (or crank open windows) to make it more of a sun room.

- we will address the landscaping after the exterior is done.
Any insight would be hugely appreciated!!!! thanks!!

Comments (89)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville