SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptykty

Reclaiming Neglected Garden Bed

ptykty
6 years ago

I purchased a home late last summer. It had a nice little garden in the back. The back yards here slope in the back, and my "slope" is reinforced with a cement wall where homemade wooden steps going up to the top. So it's a separate, raised area. Within that area are 3 garden 3x4 beds wood. The house sat empty for a few months in the California desert heat and the garden was neglected by the time we moved in. Since everything appeared to be destroyed by the sun aside from weeds and we were busy getting the inside ready (new carpet, gutted the kitchen), it stayed neglected even longer. My plan was to just start over.

We went up a few weeks ago to do some cleaning and we found one red onion growing, probably from the rain we've had in the last month. While clearing the weeds in that bed, we also noticed what looked like a chili pepper sitting in the dirt and what may have been a tomato vine. We found a few onions on top of the ground, very soggy and one had black spots on it. When we dug a little bit, we noticed some black dirt on top of harder dirt.

My first plan was to till, add some more soil, and plant. Now I'm wondering if we should lay cardboard wet after digging what's there up, fill, plant a few things, and use mulch around the plants. For sure I'm going to just cover 2 of the beds and plant next year, but I'd like to get something started in one of them.

What would be the best course? Also, I live in a small town so my options for soil are going to Walmart or Home Depot, haven't found an alternative source. The beds are 8 inches deep. I was going to add "raised bed soil". Then I saw some people just using a mix of potting soil and top soil. I was also given vegetable garden soil for "in ground use", I'm just worried about mixing it with what's already out there. Just want to make sure I'm using the best option.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions