FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
xcv12

Backsplash too busy for kitchen?

xcv12
4 years ago

Cabinets and granite are chosen for my new build, but doubting my original choice for a backsplash. Upper cabinets are Shiloh soft white, bottom units are Alder with a walnut stain, and granite is Silver Supreme. Granite was hard to choose, so this was chosen because it has elements of grey, black, white, and a little brown that seems to work with both cabinet colors. I really liked the Anatolia Silver Crescent travertine tile, but is it too busy or too grey to pull it all together? Need advice quickly! I have to make a decision in just a few days. Thank you!

Comments (48)

• millworkman
    4 years ago

Absolutely too busy, in my opinion it actually clashes with the top material.

xcv12 thanked millworkman
  • Andrea
    4 years ago
    The backsplash is too busy with the granite, a single colour would be better. I realize that you have decided on the cabinet colours, but on my screen they are pulling out the yellows in the granite, not the greys.
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen Backsplash: Mosaic, too busy ???

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Neldam, Welcome to Garden Web and The Suggestion Forum. I'm moving this down since I see you found the Kitchen Forum and got several replies. Sue
    ...See More

Pot filler w/ this backsplash too busy? Slab or tile backsplash?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi Katie, Demo starts tomorrow, so no pics on progress yet, but I'll post when I have some. I'm working a little bit with a KD, and doing the rest myself with cabinetmaker. KD suggested open shelving like in the inspiration pic (but in stainless, specifically). I think it would stress me out though, lol! Having all of my bottles and stuff right out there (the range area is the focal point to basically my whole downstairs living area). My pantry rarely looks fabulous, and I'd be moving the pantry out into the open. So, I think we'll be making the vertical column things on either side of the mantel style range area into pull-out shelves for sheet pans, spices, small bottles, etc. I considered the open shelving with a pretty display of white bowls and dishes, but then I'd lose the storage space for the stuff I really need at my fingertips. Feel free to email me, too, if you want to exchange more ideas. It's a fun process!
    ...See More

Design help! Picking tile for backsplash that won't be too busy

Q

Comments (7)
    What are all those receptacles and switches on the walls? I've never seen so many. Your backsplash will be very broken up by all of those. Depending on your local Code, but most say that a wall receptacle needs to be installed every 2'. You need to remove some of whatever those are.
    ...See More

Is this backsplash too busy for my countertops?

Q

Comments (46)
    Personally, I think subway tiles look like subways. But I digress. My GC did larger tiles on backsplash (was same surface as countertop), with a strip of tiny matching tiles 3/4 the way up the backsplash. tiny tiles were about 5 rows high. super pretty. IOWs, you might use the tiny tile as an accent on the backsplash. on the other hand my sister put in tiny tile 100% as backsplash. really beautiful.
    ...See More
  • xcv12
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's weird. It looks lighter in my kitchen. Here's a pic of it in the store - different shape tile, but same tile. Would you stick with travertine but in a solid color? It's a rustic country home.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Whatever that is in the third photo is simply too much!

• New Freedom Nurse
    4 years ago

Too much and too dark.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

WAY too busy!!! Your very busy granite is dominating everything. If you wanted a backsplash like this, you should have chosen a very plain countertop surface.

• xcv12
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like the granite. I'm having trouble finding a backsplash that pulls it together with both cabinets.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Just a simple tile for the backsplash with a color from the granite. Your lower cabinets are quite busy too so keep it simple.

xcv12 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • suzyq53
    4 years ago

Cream or light taupe subway tile will work with everything.

xcv12 thanked suzyq53
  • PRO
    WS Granite Tops
    4 years ago

Definitely too much. But you've chosen a beautiful granite, so make good use of it, and do a backsplash with the same material.

It is very popular now a days, here is some ideas for you:

xcv12 thanked WS Granite Tops
  • Jen K (7b, 8a)
    4 years ago
    We had a similar situation in our previous home. dark upper and lower cabinets with a dark blue titanium granite. We chose a beveled edge off white travertine subway tile. The beveled edge added something without it being a color, that's what makes it different than typical subway tile. It knitted everything together.
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

If it were my kitchen, far too busy.

You have two different colors for cabinets, and a very busy, very striking countertop. I'd let the countertop be a star, and pick a quiet, simple tile for the backsplash.

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago

I really liked the Anatolia Silver Crescent travertine tile, but is it too busy or too grey to pull it all together?

Sorry to pile on, lol, but yeah, that's all too busy, Hon. :-(

Do you have your choice of any backsplash? Can you wait until you've moved in, to give yourself more time?

• Linda
    4 years ago

At first I thought they looked great! Closer look at the granite and that is where it gets wild~ Keep the back splash one color, either white, or grey.

xcv12 thanked Linda
  • Sammy
    4 years ago

Is it too late to change your cabinet order? You’re going to have too much going on with two-tone cabinetry.

• _sophiewheeler
    4 years ago

No travertine. Ever. Especially here. It assaults your eyes.

I wouldn’t have picked that counter either with the visual busyness of the cabinets. I’d start by jettisoning the counter in favor of a medium gray brown quartz. And stay away from natural stone as a splash. Period.

• Andrea
    4 years ago
    If you keep the granite change your cabinets to white or light grey.
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

First your cabinets work beautifully with the granite.

Do not mix stone with stone. Stone with stone will always look off and too busy. Even a quiet stone with a busy stone.

The best choice would be a subway tile in a solid color or a solid color with a crackle in it. I have about the busiest tile in the world (this section is the quietest part of my quartzite) and I chose a Jeffrey Court crackle tile to work with my counters.

• Najeebah
    4 years ago

Far too busy. And you're running in to these problems because the paint colou was decided on first. That should be th elast choice, there are infinite choices.

• Kristy C.
    4 years ago
    I would pick a solid color backsplash that is very similar to one of the colors in your granite.
  • blondelle
    4 years ago

Is the countertop set in stone?...pun intended :-). I feel the ivory tones of the granite clash with the reddish wood tones of the cabinet. That tiny bit of reddish tone isn't enough to pull it together. There are too many things going on and too many elements fighting for attention. I would find a granite more complimentary to the wood, and do a simple backsplash a bit lighter than the upper cabinets in a solid color tile with a similar color grout or a touch darker.

• Sue 430
    4 years ago

I have a busy counter, and therefore wanted a simple backsplash so we went with a silver metallic back painted glass. It looks great and let’s the counter stand out

• Katie S.
    4 years ago

I have that backsplash in my kitchen with cabinets like your uppers. It is busy! I have a solid silestone counter. (Noka color). The kitchen doesn’t look terrible because the counters are plain, but I still would have preferred something simpler.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

You could do tile with a thin mosaic that pulls the other colors from the stone.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

• Chessie
    4 years ago

Najeebah

"Far too busy. And you're running in to these problems because the paint colou was decided on first. That should be th elast choice, there are infinite choices."

I disagree. My backsplash was chosen after I had cabinets painted, and wall paint completed. The order did not matter at all for me.

OP, you have too many different things going on. And a definitely NO to travertine for backsplash.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

Something is going to have to give. You have too much going on. At this point, four strong elements. What can you change? My guess is the cabinets are not flexible. That means both the counter and the backsplash must be the elements that get changed. They need to be quiet. Quartz will be your friend in this situation. Or, a granite with a very small pattern. Monotone backsplash.

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

I'd be wary of glass mosaics - most of those are at least as busy as what you show, if not more so.

Add me to the "something quiet" column.

I disagree. My backsplash was chosen after I had cabinets painted, and wall paint completed. The order did not matter at all for me.

It sometimes works - but it complicates. Always pick out the element with the most limited choices available first. In this case, the cabinetry, unless the OP is choosing Shiloh's custom paint option. This is simply because it's easier to match something when there are more options. So, cabs first, then countertops, then backsplash, THEN wall paint. Because you can choose from 90 different shades of white to get the RIGHT white when you're choosing paint. But, for instance, there are only 3 different shades of "white" in the cab line the OP is using. Much easier to match the wall shade to the cab shade than vv. Your options are expanded if you use this selection process.

If you're doing fully custom cabs, in any conceivable color, you can leave that choice for last. BUT - this means choosing everything else and THEN picking the cab color, all up front. Because usually the first thing that needs to be ordered is the cabs. Where most people run into trouble is in choosing this FIRST, because it must be specified early on. Wisdom lies in making all your choices before the first item must be specced, so that everything goes together without last minute freakouts.

• Chessie
    4 years ago

It was the most logical order for me. Mine was not a whole build - did my kitchen mostly myself so yes I could see that might make a difference.

Color of cabinets would always be first and foremost. I had countertops picked, but not installed, when I worked on my wall paint. After I got that on the wall, it gave me a better sense of the backsplash. To me, the backsplash was much easier to pick, last. But that's just me. :-)

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

Yes, too busy.

Travertine is not an assault on the eyes; in the right application, it's wonderful.

Yes to simple one-color tile with busy granite. Why don't you try it first with a quick coat of paint in the color you're considering? If you're happy with the color, then move ahead with the more expensive and permanent tile.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Listen to Holly...! :-)

• Chessie
    4 years ago

Beth, I completely agree with you.

• barncatz
    4 years ago

I don't see anything about the OP's wall paint color, so not sure why we have that frolic and detour in the thread, although,... okay, maybe I missed it.

Totally agree witn cpartist that your granite choice and cabinets work well together.

Some people hate two tone cabinets. They make their eyes bleed. Some people (me) have off white cabinets and medium wood cabinets and wish we had a dollar for every post telling us our/mytaste is atrocious. But I wouldn't use the money to buy new cabinets.

I also agree that a simple cream ceramic tile would be a better choice. I'd listen to that little voice in your head and stay away from any travertine. If you need more time, work with your contractor to get it if you can and choose your backsplash after sverything else is installed. Wishing you good luck.

• xcv12
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the help. Beth H and barncatz, an especially big thanks to you for your sound advice, and I'm going to take it. You are right about the granite, and that's my problem - I don't know what it will look like until it's cut and put in place. And, decisions are coming at me rapid fire. This home is a cabin in the woods. The cabinets are installed and the granite goes in next week. The walls are already painted a soft, creamy white with a slight hint of yellow. The backsplash will wait. I don't think the two colors of cabinets are busy at all. They are quite beautiful in a rustic home. The granite does have a lot of movement and reminds of the stream bed, which is why I chose it. It has enough warmth to pull together both the soft white uppers and the walnut base cabinets. The ceiling beams are about the same color as the walnut cabinets.

• artemis_ma
    4 years ago

My kitchen is finished, and I still haven't chosen a backsplash. This item can wait, make sure the paint used on the sheet rock is washable, until you come across the backsplash that will work.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

winston79,,,sounds beautiful. please post a pic when it's in. I'd love to see it.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Winston, I'm looking forward to seeing it all installed. It sounds wonderful.

• kriii
    4 years ago

Love the granite. I agree with others who suggest a solid subway tile in taupe or white. The granite will really pop against that tile.

• barncatz
    4 years ago

Winston, thanks for the update. It gets so overwhelming. We chose our two tone cabinets 10 years ago and I still like them for our country home. I also hope you'll share a photo, it sounds lovely.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

A solid color pale gray tile for your backsplash would work well.

• lindastein
    4 years ago

following ...

• sandradclark
    4 years ago

Great solution! Wait & do backsplash last. Probably the plainer the better. I would even match the grout to the tile (which I rarely do). Good luck, sounds beautiful.

• trifecta264
    4 years ago

I agree that the backsplash choice is too busy. I have a linear random stacked stone look with the lines only about 3/8". It serves as a solid but with tonal variations. Another look I would go for would be something a bit modern, larger glass subway, etc. I don't care for standard subway. It is fine but used to the point of boredom!

• Jessica
    4 years ago

If you were a client asking advice I'd defer to the design rule of contrast & tension...With your choice of contrasting cabinets & a bold granite creating tension with the light wall colors & uppers, I'd wait until its all installed to pick a backsplash. Lighting changes EVERYTHING and depending on how good the slab install goes the flow of colors will affect your choice greatly.

If I see correctly that you've also got wood beam ceilings that match the walnut lowers then I'd say you've already got a lot going on so my choice would be to bring in neutrality so your countertops are the stand out feature (in something like an elongated glass subway tile pulling the cream or light gray from the granite).

Just keep in mind kitchens already look busy because of the appliances, countertop decor/etc, and difference in lighting because of upper cabinets and islands.

xcv12 thanked Jessica
  • Lori Wagerman_Walker
    4 years ago

I love the two tone cabinets and the countertop. I'd take the advice to wait on the backsplash.

Just for my curiosity... I know & understand the concept of/reasons for a backsplash. But when did it become mandatory to have a backsplash? I have backsplash that I put up after the fact, only behind my stove. (because I'm a messy cook!) But does the whole space between countertop & cabinet HAVE to be done? Who made that rule? :)

Maybe go with some good washable paint for awhile and see how you feel about it later?

xcv12 thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • drmagda
    4 years ago

What about a classic subway tile. It will not compete with the granite and will allow it to pop.

• Kathi Steele
    4 years ago

Winston, how is the kitchen coming? Any pics to post?