SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
witchygirrl6bwv

First order arrived! ARE

witchygirrl6bwv
6 years ago

6 of the 10 I ordered showed up today. RDV looks awesome. Bolero has buds too. I also got Belinda's Blush, Quietness, Baron Prevost, and MAC.

Comments (39)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Those plants look fantastic. I'm a little jealous over here as we're expecting 2"-4" of snow tomorrow with temps down to 16F!!!! I'm glad I delayed my order til May. I can't wait to see your RdV and BB. P.S. Your cart is really cute! You look like you have a professional set-up going on over there.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • witchygirrl6bwv
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It was a Christmas present. They are getting wheeled in to the garage tonight. I really set my order too early. Going to be 20 Sat night here. They aren't getting planted until I'm sure. This weather has me freaking out. lol

• Related Discussions

First order arrived today :-)

Q

Comments (5)
    LOL...Cindy, I think it's a smell that only a gardener could love...very earthy. I also like the smell of well rotted compost...or freshly tilled earth...but I don't imagine they'll be using it for perfume anytime soon. :-) Julia...congrats and enjoy. We'll be looking forward to seeing them bloom. Kathy
    ...See More

A Mail Order Story

Q

Comments (22)
    This is the first credit. I haven't contacted them with the exception of my first order which had the damaged/dead Ginkgo and girdled pine. At the end of the day I don't have a problem working with them IF they work with me. I let all the single plant duds on each order slide because of the nice plants I did get. Check out your thread for what I got. The moral of the story is if you get plants like this contact the nursery, express your concerns and get a resolve that works for both of you. Email DOES NOT work with this company by the way (which bothers me a bit) so you have to use the classic means of communication with them. Still, shame on the owner for sending these plants. I'll get a replacement order in spring, which is fine but I've found much better sources to work with going forward.
    ...See More

Disappointment

Q

Comments (4)
    I did talk to the company today and I should have known that they would take care of me. It is a well known often talked about iris grower. They will send the irises that I ordered on Aug. the 9th. Hopefully by then the rest of the ones I ordered are already in and I will be ready for them. My new surprises are. Anvil Of Darkness Lotus Land Heavenly Body Connection I do not grow any of these so I will look forward to seeing them bloom and just think of them as extras. I will order from this company again after all everyone makes mistakes. littlebit
    ...See More

Last day for the Bluestone sale (my 2nd order)

Q

Comments (4)
    Good - Lydia got here with the address. I wouldn't waste any time, BTW. I browsed the shrubs at work on Thursday and made some notes. This morning all the ones I had written down were gone except for the oakleaf hydrangea--which is so big that most people probably don't have room for it. :-)
    ...See More
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

Your new babies look so healthy. What lovely quality.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • modestgoddess z6 OH
    6 years ago

Mine are being delivered today.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Congrats witchy, and I absolutely love that cart where the pots can drain! I've been using individual dollies for every single pot but I think that your way is brilliant. Did you buy it online or?

witchygirrl6bwv thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • witchygirrl6bwv
    Original Author
    6 years ago

lavender My husband got it at either Lowes or Home Depot in the Spartanburg SC area. It turns really easy, and I like it. Oh I forgot. The sides fold down too!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Also having cart envy and I think I'm going to get one too. It's something I need and should have had all along. You are so inspiring!

witchygirrl6bwv thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • ac91z6
    6 years ago

I sympathize Vaporvac - we've got 1-2" and 18 degrees predicted tomorrow night. All this weekend we've got freezing lows too. I can't wait for winter to go away and stay gone!

witchygirrl6bwv thanked ac91z6
  • witchygirrl6bwv
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lily I never would have thought of it. Now I'm like why didn't I do this a long time ago? lol So many trips barely dragging things.

• witchygirrl6bwv
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Are you guys going to try to cover them or anything. I'm thinking about clipping a blanket around Lady Ashe. She is growing laterals now. :-( This really sucks.

6 years ago

Well, fortunately our predictions have changed, so now it's maybe one inch of snow max and temps in the mid-to -upper 20s, which we've experienced before since my plants have started leafing out. I did bring the pot pets into the vestibule. The two huge pot pets are draped in plastic to protect from the wind. I hope that's enough. I'll have to look into frost sheeting. That's a great idea, LF.

• patricianat
    6 years ago

Be careful putting plastic around or over the plants. Take the plastic away immediately when the sun comes out. The sun will cause the plastic to burn your plants.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked patricianat
  • SoFL Rose z10
    6 years ago

Lilly. I NEED that door mat. Lol I ordered from ARE for the first time this year and I can’t believe I waited so long before trying them out. Their roses are big and healthy upon arrival. I also got some of the Pioneer roses and they are doing wonderfully for me. I actually placed a second order after the first. I’m hooked.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked SoFL Rose z10
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

I love those wagons. I'm on my second one. After my old one started falling apart, I now use it to pot up seedlings.

I have a garden bench I can sit on while planting all my seedlings next to the cart. It makes life very easy lol.

I put a few big plastic dishpans/bins underneath to catch the potting soil so it doesn't go to waste. Then u can pull out the bins and water them. Then cart them over to your seedling area, which for me, is a fenced area in my regular veggie garden, to keep them from possums, raccoons, chickens, etc.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago

Sultry, what a great idea with your wagon. It sounds like it makes your life easier

• witchygirrl6bwv
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm not doing this early delivery stuff anymore. Here's what I'm doing till it warms up.

6 years ago

I agree witchy . I'm glad this year I have all my roses already but the stress of the weather has knocked a year or two off my life. Next year I'm making sure not to get potted roses til April . Also no late fall sales and roses to baby over winter in the garage. When will you be warming up ? It looks like Tuesday the low is 35 then uphill from there

Sultry .. for the first time ever I had 3 possums in my garbage can. I opened it up to toss in the bags before pick up. There was two , looking not so happy ! I have never seen them up close .. almost died on the spot. Later I got the courage to open it again to let them out , I read they are slow and they were. for fun I sent a pic to my brother telling him I got some exotic cats .. :) hope they stay out of my garden!

6 years ago

Gee, withchy. That looks like so much work! We ended up with about an inch of snow, but it's all melted now and is a beautiful Spring day! Sunny for once! I only brought in my plants because I thought it was getting into the teens. I'm not sure it's worth it for the twenties. Plus, these pots have a lot of growth and buds since I've been overwintering them. I don't think the temps here have been cold enough, long enough to affect growth on plants in the ground.I kept my pots out until it got QUITE cold this year , but I was trying to induce dormancy. However, I did decide after my first year that it's stupid to have an early delivery of own root and try and baby them myself when the nursery is much better able to do that. I have my order from ARE coming the first week of May. I did that last year and it worked out great! (Well, for me anyway. I wasn't even here for 5 months last year so a dear friend unpacked my roses and took care of them until I returned!)

• witchygirrl6bwv
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's showing 71 Thursday, and 76 Friday. The official last frost date here is around the 15th, but I'm not too trusting of it now. I might wait a week after, or check multiple weather sources. edit* Vapor it is snowing here, but it's melting on the ground. Nothing as bad as they said.

6 years ago

Ours is also the 15th ... last year I had blooms by then but definitely not this year !

I know you like memes witchy !

• witchygirrl6bwv
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do!

6 years ago

Hahahaha why don't emojis work here ! :)

• ljsemar
    6 years ago

and here I am whining about 43 degrees in Texas...I'm ashamed of myself.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked ljsemar
  • witchygirrl6bwv
    Original Author
    6 years ago

They are outside. Going to be 49/50 tonight, and 77 tomorrow. A pale cane has popped up on Belinda's Blush that has what I think is a canker on it. It's only maybe three inches high with a long black area about 1 inch long on one side. Do I cut off an emerging cane? I have no clue what to do. I'll get a pic tomorrow. Weather is showing a 32 low for the 16th, so I don't want to put it in the ground yet. I sprayed them with Bayer disease after I saw that spot. I hope I didn't screw up, but I didn't want it spreading if I could help it. Edit* to add this high will be 80 Friday, but drop to freezing Monday night. This weather is making me into a higher level loon!

• witchygirrl6bwv
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lily I bet I know, because I do it too. I think if I can get them going earlier, I can grow them longer, get blooms earlier, so on etc. I've just managed to drive myself crazy, and actually cause my own problems, and setbacks. Like my big bright fall planting idea. They are alive, but really no bigger than they would be if I got them now, maybe slightly smaller. I hope they were growing roots, take off and surprise me. lol Except for Lady of Shallot. She grew up till almost December, and stayed green to the tips. The only one I have that was completely tip green. Kind of amazed at that.

6 years ago

Witchy I bet they are building good roots as well as the fact that they leafed out with all the rest of your roses. That's always nice! Then they should bloom together. I know it's a silly pet peeve of mine but I hate that the new ones this spring will be behind my old ones .

Sorry i don't know about the cane, if the tip is black then I would cut it . Not sure about the middle ?

• witchygirrl6bwv
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pics of back and front of it.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    6 years ago

I would leave it for now, but if the top wilts you'll have to cut it off. This happened to me on a baby Grandmother's Hat. The new cane looked like that and I left it until it slightly wilted. I cut off the cankered part and rooted the top after I rehydrated it. Now I have two! I just lost an inch or so with the canker.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • bella rosa
    6 years ago

My order just came in yesterday. Two huge boxes from ARE. My hubby didn't say a thing! LOL. The way I see it is that 1. I work, so I can buy whatever I want. and 2. I never say anything about his ever expanding Batman collection. LOL. Anyway, I can't wait to unbox everything. So exciting! This is my first order from ARE. It's cold here and we are expecting snow on Sunday. Major bummer. For now, I'll just water the plants and leave them in our small greenhouse (on the floor, away from direct sun). I also have my 3 roses from Palatine. Those will get potted and also, placed on the floor for now, away from the sun. Once everything leafs out, they will get placed on the benches in sun.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked bella rosa
    6 years ago

My husband has also been very patient with all of the roses arriving. The way I feel is that this is something that is going to last for many many years and give us lots of pleasure and it adds to the value of our home. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Kristine, ha..ha.. You're so right about that!

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    6 years ago

What did you get Bella?? I wish the crummy weather would go away, got my stuff from Palatine and I guess I'm going to pot most of them up.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • bella rosa
    6 years ago

Hi Dingo, here's what I got from ARE:

Marie Pavie, Lavender Lassie, Maggie, Thomas Afleck, Gruss an Aachen, Belinda's Dream climbing, Marjorie Fair and Granny Grimmetts.

From Palatine:

Golden Gate, Crazy Love and Ascot.

I'm with you - this weather is crappy. It's definitely been a cold Spring. Major bummer, but I heard next week is supposed to be in the 50's!

6 years ago

Oooooh, Ascot. I can' wait to see your pictures. I have also just planted two Gruss An Aachen. They are leafing out nicely.

Hopefully in the next 5 to 6 weeks we'll all have beautiful blooms

• bella rosa
    6 years ago

Kristine, Ascot is the one I'm most excited about.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    6 years ago

Bella you got some good ones!! Keep us posted on your BD climber, I’m interested to know if it repeats much. I hope you like Thomas, he blooms a lot and is an easy keeper. I have Crazy Love soaking :), doesn’t look like a garden day outside today for sure

witchygirrl6bwv thanked Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
  • bella rosa
    6 years ago

Dingo, thanks! I also forgot to mention that I got Jean Rex. I think I added this one later. It's one that a rose friend recommended to me. Look it up- she's a beauty! All of my Palatine roses are soaking and will hopefully be potted up tomorrow. Wasn't the weather today just crazy - rain, sleet, wind, ice? I was in Chicago today running errands and was surprised at the weather, but I guess I shouldn't be. I grew up in the City. We always used to say that there's two kinds of weather in Chicago - Winter and construction! LOL.

• Redroses Z6
    6 years ago

Lilyfinch, you made my day, I laugh when I saw that doormat, I need 1 so bad, bunch of my bare root roses came but I havent plant it coz of the weather, Im sooo desperate and sad. Next year I have to get winter blanket.

witchygirrl6bwv thanked Redroses Z6