SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

Supporting native bees and beehives?

beesneeds
6 years ago

I've long wanted to keep 2-3 hives. We love honey but don't need huge amounts of it, and I just love honeybees. Back in 2011 I moved to the boonies and wasn't able to keep bees yet.. and yet.. and yet.. lol. But I have been gardening, and adding flowers to the yard.. And over the years have grown to love and support my native bees big and small.

So, last fall my love and I closed on the property that backs ours, and this year I'm working on securing the old stablyard and stable for future veggie gardens and building. And it looks like I might be able to start keeping a hive next year! The neighbor moving out of the property has a SIL that does some beekeeping and years ago had some hives out back that is happy to help me set up stuff.

My bit of quandry is... if I'm introducing a new hive to the area, how can this affect the native bees I've been thrilled with that fly and crawl all over my yard? Or how might the native bees react to a whole new hive in their area?

Or do I really even need to worry about it at all? I am planning on planting in a bunch of irises, lillies, and some other bulbs I have ready to start setting in back there, and a few fruit bushes and trees. Some flowers and self-sowing edibles and herbs I'm trying to get worked in out there this year.

I asked the SIL about it, and he didn't know. He always just has kept a few hives, never really bothered or not with the native bees.

Comments (3)

Sponsored