SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan2290

ProVia Entry Door Pricing

susan2290
6 years ago

I've been researching a new entry door for my 25 yr old average house in a suburban Chicago sub-development. A nice neighborhood of 3-4 BR homes but not upscale. All roads seem to be leading to ProVia and getting a good installer. I've narrowed down my door options to the Heritage fiberglass series for my budget plus a storm door. Price-wise it was only a couple hundred $ more than the Legacy steel door. Signet and Embarq series would be over-kill in my situation. My home style (faux-colonial/traditional) lends itself to a smooth, painted door without decorative glass. I wouldn't recoup the $ for a Signet and Embarq for my neighborhood.

I've had one quote provided by a ProVia dealer with a good reputation for installation and crews that have worked for the company for years. Company has been around for 60 years. (I liked them so much I almost want to cancel the consultations I have with other companies!)

I was given a quote of just shy of $5000 for the ProVia Heritage Door and 2 full sidelights (style 160). The door (style 620) is 1/4 of privacy glass with 6 grids. The sidelights also have Taffeta privacy glass and internal grids. Both sides painted in same color. Basic Schlage Georgian knobset and thumb-turn deadbolt. Glass is 2 pane Low-E, UV, R value =4.

We were quoted $879 for a Larson retractable "Screen Away" Storm Door. The Provia retractable Spectrum (2 sash) door was over $1000, but I saw later that it comes with a single sash which would be better for us with our pets. (We want glass on the bottom so the cat doesn't climb up the screen.) So that might bring the price down on that a bit. (I've had 2 Larsons--meh--but my husband installed them so that is probably why the doors weren't great, imo.)

Includes EVERYTHING--including cladding and full installation. So about $6000 for the entire system.

Does this price sound about right?

All the ProVia dealers I've contacted have the same sales strategy: low-pressure, emphasis on "no subcontracting" employees paid a good wage, installations crews that have been with the company "forever." All have what seem to be fairly solid reputations and in business for a minimum of 20 years.

The other companies I'm looking at also sell Albany Door, Home-Guard, and Therma-Tru. I like the customization of the ProVia as compared to the other companies. That said, I doubt many of my neighbors are installing ProVia. If I have a good installer, would the fiberglass doors from these other companies be good and save me some money?

Comments (29)

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

Good advice from MWM.

On pricing, that is not bad, if not even on the low end for a Heritage door with two sidelites and a Spectrum storm. You'll be hard pressed to beat that from an established reputable company.

susan2290 thanked HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
  • Related Discussions

Bidding Discrepancy Pricing A ProVia Sliding Door. Help.

Q

Comments (1)
    Have they all been to the site to review site conditions? Do they all include removal and disposal of the existing unit? Have any allowance been made to reframe the opening for RO differences? Will all be preparing the openings properly(ie: Sill Pan, Weatherproof wrap of the opening, backer rod and caulk, insulation as required? Does either quote state interior repair, spackle,paint and or trim replacement? Exterior finishing, trim paint etc? These questions call easily add the dollar amount you are questioning to the price. Sometimes you need to look at exactly what is not written on the quote as opposed to what is.
    ...See More

Is this ProVia Door Quote Reasonable?

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes.
    ...See More

ProVIa Entry Door Estimate

Q

Comments (2)
    Clear Glass? Includes installation? If so, sounds about right.
    ...See More

8' Full lite ProVia Smooth Doors- Legacy Steel or Heritage Fiberglass?

Q

Comments (12)
    HomeSealed, thank you so much for commenting. I have considered the concerns you mention, but Signet would be $16,800. A full 6k more, and I just wasn't sure the 55% extra cost would pay off. I've spent a lot of time on the ProVia site, watched the manufacturing videos, read SO many online reviews, and much of the information I got was about choosing Signet for more choices in realistic stained wood finish (I'm going with smooth painted) and more heft. So, I've just ended up trusting the quality and reputation of the ProVia brand and the experience of the local Pella install/remodel team will make the 11k Heritage a good decision. Has experience taught you differently? Will I be replacing fiberglass in ten years wishing I'd spent the extra 6? When you mentioned legacy might be best, is it because steel is somehow more stable, less likely to warp than fiberglass, in 8' or in double or both? I was wondering why they allow dual action on steel at that height and not on fiberglass, which is offered only in multi-point.
    ...See More
  • susan2290
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks to both MWM and HomeSealed for your professional feedback.

• alex9179
    6 years ago

My area is low cost of living and I'm in an average suburban neighborhood. I just bought a steel Provia door with full, decorative glass. No sidelights. Brinks push/pull/turn hardware that's pretty basic in looks. It was more than your quote so I say it's a good price.

• A Berryman
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am entertaining a legacy steel dueour harsh climate and unforgiving Southern exposure of my front door. Hoping to stick around $3,000 (not including tax) 1/4 light and decorative glass. Any idea what a decent install + average legacy door should be? Cheap Home Depot / Lowe's steel doors are well over $2,000 installed anyway and I have to pay an extra $175 to have the fellow clad the frame in aluminium that goes with ProVia doors standard at factory.

• Windowmaster
    4 years ago

Pricing looks good.

Provia, HMI Doors , Homeguard doors are my top 3, not in any order. A solid, well made door is always worth the extra money. I see so many home depot and lowes doors that look like garbage after just a few years. They also look and feel cheaply made.

• PRO
    Zabitat, Door Glass Replacement
    4 years ago

What is it that you don't like about your front door? Is the door in poor condition and need to be replaced, or is it just out of date?

• PRO
    4 years ago

A Berryman, that budget should be in the ball park depending on the install circumstances and final options.

• HU-856020809
    2 years ago

I received a quote of $12K for steel front door with 2 side lights and 10k for 3 side/rear entry doors that mostly glass so it sounds like a good deal.

• carleyjohnson
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I just ordered a hinged French door with interior blinds from Provia for 8150. I feel like they really over charged me... Just for the door as we decided not to use the contractor. Now we have to install ourselves.

• PRO
    2 years ago

@carleyjohnson, who did you purchase the door from? Provia doesn't sell direct to homeowners.

Its impossible to say without a lot more detail, but that does sound high for the product only without installation.

• carleyjohnson
    2 years ago

correct the contractor bought it and we cancelled our job because he charges way too much. So he's dropping off the door and keeping 8,150 for it.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Ahh... I suspect that you are paying some "tax" for that cancellation, assuming that it was after the period where you can legally do so for a full refund. There may or may not be justification in that depending on how much time and resources were expended on your project (measuring, planning, ordering, etc, etc). He should be able to cover his costs, (above and beyond a reasonable product markup) but its also not an appropriate opportunity to gouge someone (not that there ever is). Hard to say where this falls on that scale, but it does still seem a bit on the high side even with little detail provided. A 10-15% premium above what the product would normally cost is not uncommon in those situations.

What was your original price when installation was included?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

Seems odd to cancel an order due to price once the order has been made and contract signed. I have never encountered this on my side and only once where I have installed someone elses windows due to a misunderstanding that was out of the norm. unfortunately the home owner got screwed by Pella and paying over double for what they could have bought the windows for from Lowes.

my guess is the dealer overinflated the cost of the door and undercut installation cost. The reality is I’m missing all the details and would be lucky to here even 1/2 the story

• carleyjohnson
    2 years ago

Awh yes the story..

I hired a company back in March to install a deck. A composite "deckarators" brand on a 12x22 deck. He was also going to install a new patio door. We wait almost 4 months and he is finally ready to start the project. His excuse was the other customer kept adding on and changing things to his current project. Meanwhile; I gave him 50% down and he was going to put the materials order in. Original quote was $6,950 for a Provia patio door installed. The estimate didn't have any door information besides the brand Provia. I'm unsure of the series and even material at this point. Anyway.. The deck was a 12x22 with an octagon installed at $26,900. Bringing the total to $33,850. Just before he orders the door I ask him if I could get blinds in it. That adds an extra $2,200 on the top of it for blinds. Not happy with it but blinds are needed as its a west facing door. Door gets get ordered. July comes and he is ready to start the deck. But asks for an extra $7,500 because the AXL metal rail system we wanted wasn't included in the original quote. So we are now up to $43,550 for a patio door installed and a composite deck. We had already been instructed to demo and remove the deck ourselves and level the ground so he can come in and install. However, at this point I ran out of funds and didn't want a deck without a railing as I have two small children. I tell him we that this project is about 10,000 over the original estimate and we cannot continue. He says the door has been ordered and he cannot refund us that portion and is keeping the $8,150. I ask multiple times for a material price list and he is unable to furnish that to me. I ask for more info on the door and try to contact Provia to cancel it but he doesn't know the order number, door series or any other information. He then gives me his reps number which ironically has the same last night as him and he tells me the door is being delivered next week and it is too late to cancel. So he refunded me last night my deposit but kept $8,150 for the door. Again trying to find out a price of this door as that seems steep. I'm also informed as if we have someone install it that is not certified Provia it will void the warranty and there is no other installers within 250 miles. So my backyard is tore up, we have no house access, our patio door will probably sit in our garage until we find someone else to come in before winter which is possibly next year at this rate.

So yeah.... that's the story. If I'm wrong please tell me. I'm just here trying to find the price of a door as Provia wont tell me and we have no other installers in the area. After multiple attempts to get material pricing lists I just want to feel better about my new door that probably wont be installed.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

Sounds like a ship show from day one.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Definitely a mess.

What is in writing in your contracts in terms of the scope of work and amounts? Is there any discussion of cancellation and costs associated?

It sounds to me like he may be attempting to mitigate some of his losses on the deck portion here, but this is way to convoluted to say anything with certainty. Your best bet is to review the contract numbers and any reference to cancellation (and associated fees), however if no clear contract language exists, you aren't likely in a good spot.

To answer your most basic question though, in all likelihood that price sounds high for just the door, especially if its from a professional company that didn't have this all spelled out in writing clear as day.

• carleyjohnson
    2 years ago

I guess the problem is that his contract was very vague as far as the pricing goes. Despite my attempts to get material pricing and lists he always deflected the question and was only able to offer me a price with labor built in. Despite my many attempts to cancel this door it will be delivered in 2 weeks. He already wrote me a check for the rest of the deposit. And I got ahold of a friendly customer service rep at Provia and they informed me that the door would still be covered under warranty. Just not the installation which she didn't know anything about an installation warranty. So more BS on their side. New business in a small town... word travels fast I guess and so do negative reviews. Thanks everyone for your input - I guess I'm better off not knowing how bad he overcharged me for this patio door.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

I dont think the problem was separating the pricing from the materials. Something like that usually only matters when things go south. Before signing a contract both sides need to be on the same page and the details in writing. Both sides appear to be at fault . I’m gonna put little more blame in the contractor since I feel it our responsibilty to make to let the homeowner exactly what they are getting and to put it in the contract. Id feel ashamed if one my customers ever felt compelled to come to forum to complain. Clearly we dont have all the details, or have viewed the contract so it’s all speculation. Im sure the next time you sign a contract you will take the time to review it a little more closely.

• diane_elliott1
    last year

We just had a front door unit installed. It was one large piece with a black smooth Heritage door one half designer glass, two sidelights with matching one half designer glass and a 4’x5’ transom in clear glass. Total for unit and install was $19,950 (that included tax.)

• Pat Litchfield
    6 months ago

Why are prices so high? i was quoted today fot a Provia door signet single entry $12,500 and ffor a sliding glass door vinyl estia 140x80 $16, 400, not including tax.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 months ago

How deep a dive do you want on this answer?

• Pat Litchfield
    6 months ago

I am new looking for doors, and I did not buy, but what would the Provia doors in 2023 cost installed? I cant find prices anywhere on the internet.

• wdccruise
    6 months ago

@Pat Litchfield: "what would the Provia doors in 2023 cost installed? I cant find prices anywhere on the internet."

You won't find them there because there are many models, a gazillion features, and they're custom sized and installed. Our condo owners installed Provia Heritage Fiberglass doors which have worked well -- energy efficient and very effective at reducing street noise -- except a bit of the weatherstripping pulled out from the bottom of my door.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    6 months ago

+1. Doors are all priced on individual basis given the options and material selections.

• als1999
    6 months ago

I was just quoted nearly 10k for steel Provia french doors with 3 glass panes, doors had to be custom sized. not sure i can justify the cost for a house in the 400k price range. might just have my wood doors refinished and adjusted.

looked at Masonite in same style significantly cheaper.

• millworkman
    6 months ago

" looked at Masonite in same style significantly cheaper. "

At a fraction of the quality as well.

• Graeme
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

I got a rough quote for a Provia Steel 420 with 130 Sidelite for $4300.

Edit: I'm in the St. Louis area.

• millworkman
    5 months ago

Sounds fair, maybe even a bit to the low side. Get it in writing.