SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcaevans

kitchen backsplash and counter dilemma

6 years ago
Hello,

Seeking some opinions on a remodel that has taken ages. Struggling with final details of what to do with back kitchen wall. We tried a lot of paint colors and couldn’t find one that works well. We finally decided to do this stacked stone on the entire wall (above and below cabinets/window) and add white cabinets around the hood. Now that it has started, I am worried about it fighting the beautiful fusion quartzite on the island. Am I worried for nothing?

Ideas?

Thanks
Marc

Comments (112)

• PRO
    6 years ago
    No do not hone that island stone. It will ruin its great appeal IMO.
  • 6 years ago
    The island is centered on window. I have two junction boxes centered on each window (they are level with each other. The center box is dead center from beam. It is about 2” higher than the other two. If I recall, island is about 10’ and those are 5’ wide windows
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen back splash and counter tops

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi rknee, thanks for showing the pictures of your beautiful kitchen, the tile back splash, that I really liked was the Etched Field Blend, what a beautiful tile. Your kitchen is going to look fantastic when it's all done.
    ...See More

Solid neutral quartz counter tops to go with Calacatta gold backsplash

Q

Comments (10)
    @Beth H. - thank you for your comments. I don't think we want to have dark counter tops. The kitchen is open to our family room. The minimal wall space in the kitchen will be painted a light blue color, as will the walls in the family room. We were thinking about: a) white cabinets and island b) the Calacatta gold marble 3" x 6" tiles for the back splash c) light(ish) counter tops on the perimeter and island (perhaps with some grey coming through d) medium brown hardwood floors We thought about using walnut for the island surface, but decided against it due to maintenance issues. If we didn't want to have dark counter tops, are there any other options? Thanks!
    ...See More

Kitchen backsplash dilemma - no cabinets over part of countertop

Q

Comments (7)
    I had a similar situation. Finding a tile I liked that came with a coordinating corner bullnose was like trying to find a unicorn. I finally “settled” for using the thinnest matching pencil tile for the tile I liked, mitering it at the corner. We matched the grout to the tile and I was pleasantly surprised that the pencil tile doesn’t “stick out” at all. I ended up loving it. The matching grout was key. If you end up with shelves or a cabinet on that side you will still need either a pencil tile or Schluter edge on the side. The Schluter isn’t my thing - a bit to modern looking for our kitchen - but you can see both types of edge in the Houzz photos.
    ...See More

backsplash for black cabinets and wood countertop dilemma!!

Q

Comments (4)
    Here are some ideas for you using dark cabinets... you can find more at out website. I highly recommend ordering a sample of a tile before you make your final purchase. At RocksinStock.com, it is simple to request a sample. Create your account and start browsing. Seeing the tile in real life will give you a new perspective. Stratos, Palms, Glass Tile Waveline / Waveline mini Copper Quartzite, Strip Spindrift Marble - Nebula Other Glass Tiles Colors to consider: Smoke Tule I hope it helps! Have a Rock Day!
    ...See More
  • 6 years ago

Another vote for - let it be, and enjoy. You've combined natural elements/colors & textures in a pleasing way. My only suggestion was to pick up on the ochre color in the island, repeating it elsewhere - but I see you've already done that (walls around the window). So - never mind!

• 6 years ago
    Oops island is a hair over 9’. B/c I wanted ample 52” b/w it and fridge / wall counter.
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    Oh boy, that is tricky. Your saying you need 4 pendants then. But with 9’ island and 10’ of windows. Going to be off a bit. Btw, is that Fusion granite? It is stunning. I have always been drawn to that look in stone yards, but never been able to use it. Beautiful.
  • 6 years ago
    Yes it is fusion. Why would I need 4 pendants?
  • 6 years ago

I haven't read the entire thread here but I think it looks fine. In your fourth photo the eye moves from the island top across the dark counter and up the wall. My understanding of design is a focal point or smaller focal points, using color and texture, that cause the eyes to travel.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    I misinterpreted your description. When you said “i have two junction boxes centered on each window” i thought you meant 2 on each window for a total of 4. So, if you will only do 2, perfect for two larger pendants. I love the Fusion exotic granite. IMO some of the most gorgeous stone available. Do you like the idea of copper pendants? Or are you still leaning to the dropped wood piece?
  • 6 years ago
    I am liking the pendant with the copper cage and glass. I wonder if doing that in copper, ORB, or even a green patina copper? I’d have to put a cover plate over the center jbox to get the 2 pendants (which I am liking). The other lights in great room / foyer are ORB

I think right now I need to breathe, see the stone done, get the corner cabs white, and stop freaking out before the complete picture comes together more :)

Also, if I consider window covering, that can possibly be very simple and set backdrop for island (maybe white, wide slat, plantation shutters)? Or no coverings at all for that window?
  • 6 years ago

I think you're just lacking confidence...and, from your photos, I can't for one second imagine why.

You're doing great. Keep going and stop asking for advice you don't need.

I'm here to cheer you on, though... :) (gets out pom poms)

• PRO
    6 years ago
    If you do just two pendants, you need ones that are around 16” wide. The glass cage ones are too small unless you do 3. So for three go for at least 10-12” wide. You can do the balloon test when you get ready to shop in earnest. For window, I would wait. Get everything else done and then assess. My thought right now would be to avoid more white on the windows. Perhaps a pair of Roman shades in a color to match wall color. That would help tone down cool whites so things blend together nicely. No rush though on the window treatments.
  • 6 years ago
    • I want to move in with you or you can come to my house and design my kitchen ;) Yes, I like.
  • 6 years ago

Beautiful job...open a bottle of wine.

• 6 years ago
    Very beautiful! Just be happy in your lovely home. Cheers! :)
  • 6 years ago
    Looks good! Do you like it?
  • 6 years ago

I believe plain white tile (subway or any other shape) would look much better with the island. I also agree with Patricia Colwell that it is very difficult to clean stacked stone. The grease and food splatters from the stove will be very difficult to remove from the stone.

• 6 years ago

You have done a very nice job.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    The stone highlights the window beautifully and notice how the dark color makes the wall recede visually. Actually makes the room feel even bigger. Now i can do better mock ups of various pendants. Any favorites?
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    I really think you need beef because the smaller glass ones won’t stand ip to the visual weight of the stone. Keep that in mind.
  • 6 years ago
    Thanks. I still adjusting to it. It took a long time to find stone we liked for outside and fireplace. This one hit us as it reminded us of old stone walls on farms in the northeast. Then we learned it is Connecticut fieldstone :). I never anticipated using it for the kitchen (planned on a tile TBD when we picked the fusion). but it does bring the room together and carry flow of natural materials through the house. Same stone and black granite used on fireplace.

I like it a lot when I walk in door. And when I’m at the counter looking out window. It’s just sitting at the island when the full pattern of the fusion fights with it to me. And lighting/angle has a huge effect changing the look through day. (@flo. If you can see leathered fusion at stone yard, it is incredible - just not practical for a kitchen island IMO)

I agree lights need to have heft (or maybe bold color) to hold their own and bring focus to foreground. I think the stone all around does make room bigger by removing the splotchiness of stone in just the corner and painted walls, as well as accentuating high ceiling. The contrast is great.

Btw, cabinets and window trim get their final paint coat in a few weeks. If there is a time to change from white - it is now.
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Well all righty then . Is it safe to say you love the kitchen, except for the island fusion granite not seeming like a good fit? If so why not just find a good home for it (Im sure you could get back a good bit of the cost - or save it for another project ), Then put the same black stone on the island as on the counters - let the Connecticut field stone wall be the star of the show. Theres no reason island HAS to be different from other counters. No point in taking everything else apart to try to make it fit in..... as lovely as it is, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

This btw is my main decorating problem - being able to put aside things I love when they don't fit in. Heck I cant even choose a color for walls cos choosing one thing means I have to set aside another.

• 6 years ago

Marc, how's it looking? Did you finish it up? Happy with it?

• 6 years ago

Fantastic kitchen. Truly a work of art!

• 6 years ago
    Well, I’ve taken a bit of a break from it. My GF came back from a trip. She didn’t like the idea of stone backsplash, but loves it. She says “absolutely loves it.” I think lights will help. At the end of the day, she loves her kitchen and I love mine. Otie loves whichever one is giving him treats :)

I’ll post more pics when lights are in and final cabinet coat is done and hardware is in (Planning simple stainless bar pulls)

Still need to decide on island lighting.

Thanks
    Marc
  • PRO
    6 years ago

All good news. Hey, I noticed a tree/shrub in the backyard that looks like a type that grows around here and it is poisonous to pets. Just check that out. The one with large leafs and kind of cut out shape? I forget the name of the darn thing. Hate for Otie to fall sick!

• PRO
    6 years ago

It is called a "Castor Bean" grows fast and has that shape leaf. Just check it out.

• 6 years ago
    Thanks Flo. They are all fruit. From left to right in pic is Asian pear, apple, and fig. I want to try to espalier train them.
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    Ok great. Happy to hear.
    Hope I didn’t alarm you but just had to mention. Enjoy your great patio a and yard!
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I was afraid it will be too much going on as I read the beginning of the thread but the final result looks very nice. Just make sure you always have appropriate lighting. Let us know how is the maintenance of the stone.

• 6 years ago

Otie is the bomb.

Gorgeous kitchen and even more wonderful that the GF loves it. My husband and I may be borrowing some of your ideas. The combinations you used in this kitchen are beautiful!

Great Job!

• 6 years ago

I think it looks fantastic. I initially thought I wouldn't do that stone with the island stone, thought it would be fighting eachother, but it seems to really work. I love that stone

• 6 years ago
    For those following, here is an update with upper and lower cabinet lighting (2700K led which warms the stone nicely - photos don’t show it well). Yes the stools need to go and need new couches. A couple of doors and drawers out for touch ups.

Will try to take daylight pics tomorrow and start a new thread for pendants.
  • 6 years ago
    Some morning pics. Not bright daylight, but anyway
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Really nice. Are you still going to do some pendants over island? That island stone is stunning!

• 6 years ago

Hi Flo, Yes - that is still the plan - I just started a new thread to separate the discussion: Here is a link https://www.houzz.com/discussions/island-pendant-lights-dsvw-vd~5348005

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It looks great!

• 6 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I read through the whole post :) I would not add any pendants over the island. My eyes go right to the gorgeous windows. Pendants will add unnecessary details...between your counter top and the back splash I would not anything that fights for attention. Your kitchen is wonderful!

• 6 years ago

I agree with lucky...don't gild the lily here...

• 6 years ago

I like your place without pendants, but since this is something you want to consider, here are a few ideas....

Copper Lantern · More Info

Lexington Mason Jar Pendant Lights - Set of Three · More Info

Kichler Silberne 1 Light 13" Pendant Seedy Glass Shade, Natural Brass · More Info

Elk Lighting 46017/1 Danica 1-Light Pendant Light · More Info

IRONCLAD, Industrial-style 1 Light Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Mini Pendant, 7" Shade · More Info

Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info

Loft · More Info

Bridgetown in Wexford Plantation · More Info

Tea Fire Residence · More Info

The Lakes · More Info

• PRO
    6 years ago
    Love this one Circa Lighting just came out with. Could be just right. Not too big, down light, black chain for easy drop length. Make sure you don’t hang too high.
  • 6 years ago

Loving Flo's rec!!

• 6 years ago
    I think it looks beautiful, but I’m a sucker for texture and natural elements. If you love it, keep it, it’s a beautiful design! I’d love stacked stone in my kitchen as well, but the cleaning seems daunting.
  • 5 years ago
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to check back in after a year with the stone. It has really grown on me as a feature I love.

Cleaning has not been bad. Actually some pasta sauce dumped on wall behind cooktop and it was ok to clean with a scrub brush and water (cleaned right when it happened). Elsewhere, it has been fine after initial clean and seal. Just vacuumed it once with a brush tip.

I also want to thank everyone for their opinions, advice, kind words, and - most of all - the encouragement! As a mostly DIYer, I always wanted to design and build a home. This was my first whole-home-reno, and I learned a lot and the encouragement provided by many, including y’all, really helped my confidence.

I am very proud to say that the home was entered in NARI Meta / CoTY for whole-home-reno and it won for local-chapter and Southwest region.

Thanks again everyone & do not fear stacked stone backsplashes!
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    Congratulations!! You did an amazing job and overcame several bumps on the road to this great award and recognition. Enjoy!!
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Wow! I just love this kitchen, marcaevans. You did a great job. It’s perfect!

• 5 years ago
    Frankly, I think you have way too much going on. Nothing is cohesive. The cabinets are linear and modern, the backsplash is rustic, there are 2 different counters and 2 different cabinet colors. The white is too stark against all the dark earthy tones. You may love all you have picked individually, but putting them all together in one space doesn’t work. First step is to replace the stacked stone with a craftsman style ceramic tile, picking up a light tone from the island top.
  • 5 years ago
    Looks great what a great space!!!
  • 5 years ago

Hey mountie - the first step is to read the whole thread, realize that the OP has completed the project, won an award, and try to be nice if you disagree with his choices.

OP - you have some serious DIY skills. Congrats on the completion and the award!

• 5 years ago

Mountie, this is a completed project after much hard work....

I hope you're not suggesting that the OP rip stuff out now? If not, what is the point of your criticism? Show us YOUR house...We'll let you know what we think.