SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewjagor

Kitchen Cabinet Color - White vs. Gray

generals1992
6 years ago

Hi all,

I’m in the final stages of working through a whole-home remodel and need to get back to my kitchen/cabinet designer with my final answer...do I want white or gray cabinets?

The house is a 1960s ranch with what will be an open living room/kitchen floor plan and an adjacent dining room. Given the openness, I need to make sure my cabinets compliment the style of the home and also need to choose a wall color that compliments the kitchen cabinets but still works within the rest of the space. My style is somewhat of a cross between farmhouse and French country - lots of linens, sisals, and antique woods. The kitchen will have white macaubus quartzite counters, and I’m leaning towards a subway tile backsplash As well as chrome hardware with either chrome or matte black light fixtures.

The cabinets will be made by Wellborn and will be full overlay. I love a white inset cabinet, but the budget doesn’t allow for that nor would it make sense at my home’s price point. I plan to go with either the Sedona door style (pictured below) or A pure shaker style.

Now onto the color...

I love gray. I have said all along I want gray cabinets. I think, especially on a budget, that gray really styles up the space and can make a mid-tier kitchen look more sophisticated and less builder-grade. I think the gray is stylish and unique (compared to white) and it’s one of those things where, if it works, it would look really good. If it doesn’t, It might look terrible.

I also love white. It’s classic, timeless, and goes with so many different decor styles. I wouldn’t have to worry about not liking the paint color at the end of the day, whereas I might see gray in the space and regret it. However, I might also always feel like I should have done gray. Everyone does white these days, and I think, all things equal, a white cabinet will look more “stock” than its gray equivalent. I am drawn to a white inset cabinet and a classic look, however, when you make it full overlay, it just seems like it’s a lot harder to make look high-end.

The walls are currently SHW sea salt, but I’m seriously considering SHW agreeable gray for the wall color in the kitchen/living room - or at least something similar. I’m concerned a gray cabinet on a gray wall might not look good, but that’s what I’m here for.

What would you do?

The grey cabinets shown below are Wellborn‘s Dove color, which would be the same gray color I choose. The brown cabinet shows the door style I plan to go with (Between that and a pure shaker).

Comments (18)