SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alliebeth30

kitchen faucets - 1 handle, 2 handle, and reliable brand

allie
6 years ago

I thought selecting a faucet would be easy. Go to Ferguson's, find something without plastic insides, and go along my merry way.

However, everything has plastic in it. Expensive brands, lower end lines, everyone! BPA, BPS, and phthalates, anyone? I think this is all because of the completely lead-free requirements in California, or at least this is the excuse the manufacturers are using, but it breaks sooner, and hot water plus plastic sounds disastrous. I'd rather have old fashioned brass with naturally antibacterial copper (none of Moen's Microban chemical soup). I quickly abandoned all pull-down and pull-out faucets for plastic and reliability reasons. I don't drink from my separate sprayer, and now I see why that's a good thing.

Even when I looked at high end brands like Waterstone, Rubinet, Graff, and Phylrich, their cartridges are plastic with plastic stems (for the 1 handled faucets) and their aerators are plastic.

Maybe, if I go from a 1 handle to a 2 handle, this will get better. I get that impression, at least. I like the convenience of a single handle, especially when I've handled eggs or raw meat and need to wash my hands. But I also don't want to set myself up for problems.

Am I overthinking this? Are 2 handle faucets more reliable and containing less plastic (coatings to reduce lead, plastic parts, etc)? I don't want to cut holes in my countertop for a 1 handle, only to need more holes cut inside my house later because I'm changing to a 2 handle faucet.

As for a style, I like the shepherd's crook style faucets.

Comments (7)