SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
esudakof

Advice needed for kitchen back splash and island

esudakof
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I love my kitchen but constantly wonder if my kitchen looks like it's missing something ...would you recommend a back splash? If so, what sort of tile,color? And would you recommend to remove the granite black lip I have now? Also, do you feel the space looks like it could use an island or a kitchen cart? When it's just me and my husband cooking the open space is nice, but when we have company I feel the large space becomes awkward...thank you houzz community for your input!!

(dimensions - width from Dishwasher to Oven is 94 inches)

Comments (61)

• hatetoshop
    6 years ago

Yes, remove the 4" (?) backsplash that is currently there before installing your new backsplash. Lovely space, good luck!

esudakof thanked hatetoshop
  • deegw
    6 years ago

You've done a great job, I would add some art and try a larger rug before I made a backsplash commitment. There are some great indoor outdoor rugs that work nicely in kitchens.

You don't have a large backsplash space and I'm not sure a new backsplash is going to have the impact you are seeking.

esudakof thanked deegw
  • Related Discussions

kitchen needs paint and back splash

Q

Comments (5)
    Do you plan on removing the curtains? Are you adding any additional lighting? I ask because both of those changes would affect the final paint color choice in my opinion. Right now, the curtains seem to be filtering a bit too much and adding more yellow to what is already there. Painting the small area under the sink also white will give you more options on wall color. I take it you are tired of the yellow overall. In your small space, I think you can go bold (me, I love red against white) but all depends on the rest of your color scheme in the adjoining rooms. What do you like? Do you want a more neutral, calming feel or something that pops? You already have a small backsplash so I would not add another on top of that. It is simple enough and goes with your retro look in the kitchen. Just paint the area above the 4 inch backsplash the same as your final wall color. A few small colorful prints (under glass that can be cleaned) would also add some nice contrast on the backsplash area. For hardware you could go either black or silver. Get a rug that ties in with your wall color but is not solid (just a few hints of coordination). Once you give us some more information on your existing adjoining rooms and what you like, I think you will get more paint color suggestions.
    ...See More

Need counter top and back splash Advice for a Modern Remodel

Q

Comments (21)
    I think we are moving in the direction to do the island, perimeter counters and backs splash (all the way up the wall) in the same White Santorini Quartzite. Any feedback on this? Im sensitive to adding too many different materials into the mix. Is this too much of one thing?
    ...See More

Advice needed: Kitchen Wall Paint Color & Back Splash

Q

Comments (2)
    Your countertop is beigy-beige. Be sure that your walls would not clash with it. May be to go with off-white color?
    ...See More

Tile Back-Splash Placement Advice Needed

Q

Comments (1)
    If I understand correctly, the wall cabinets on the sink wall will be replaced. Give that, I would run the tile to the ceiling, like the range wall
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Fowler Design & Build
    6 years ago

This is a classic & timeless kitchen! I would suggest adding a white subway tile (3x6) for the back splash. You can choose a dark gray grout for an updated look or classic white. (I have several examples on my profile page.) I would also suggest removing the granite splash before installing the subway tile. Others suggested a natural stone, but keep in mind they may be harder to clean as a back splash. Ceramic or porcelain is less expensive & very easy to wipe down over a cook top! I also agree that you do not need a stationary island. Choose something simple on wheels for entertaining or when you need extra prep space! Beautiful Space!

esudakof thanked Fowler Design & Build
  • visualizemaven
    6 years ago

IMHO a white back splash will just make the kitchen look more like a black and white kitchen - I think it needs to connect more to the warm woods in the dining area.

Consider showing us the back splash options you are looking at for feedback? Ty!

esudakof thanked visualizemaven
  • Mrs. S
    6 years ago

I would remove that lip and tile the backsplashes, just for interest. You have very neutral colors, so you could go in a lot of directions.

And I have another idea. Because you do have a big of a "grand" space to move around in your kitchen, maybe some kind of chandelier might dress it up; an interesting ceiling fixture is what I mean.

Here are some more interesting tiles than plain white subway (which is also nice):

esudakof thanked Mrs. S
  • Richard Dollard
    6 years ago

Not only would the backsplash give it a finished look but it's also easier to wipe down than sheetrock especially when batter goes flying out of the kitchen aid mixer.

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

I agree with all those who have said this is a great kitchen. If it was mine, I would add color because I need more color than the current neutral trend provides. So, I would do a window treatment (perhaps faux roman shade), change the wall paint color (possibly a green / gray) and put up more art with color. This is not because what's there is "wrong" - just not me. I would do these things first before considering a backsplash because it is possible one of those changes would effect the choice of backsplash. I probably would eventually do a backsplash.

This kitchen (below) listed both SW Comfort gray (kitchen) and SW Sea Salt (family room)
    This looks like real roman shades:

I have a faux roman shade, so it does not hang down as far - blocks less light.

esudakof thanked jhmarie
  • esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I never thought of painting the walls to change things up, I love the color recommendations for paint! Yes, I have been trying to find more artwork but also am not great with where to hang things...making artwork look balanced... I would love to bring in more greenery/real plants somehow.... love the idea of window treatment for a visual too, I never installed once since I love my view so much, but may reconsider!

• ctlane
    6 years ago

I think by adding a backsplash to the window wall, the tile will end in an awkward place under the shelves.

• PRO
    NewLinkz
    6 years ago

As an alternative for the walls and back splash, you might want to consider an easy-to-install peel
    & stick approach for wall tiles that’s less costly and less time consuming, but will give it a finished look, complementary design effect and is easier to keep clean. You can cut them precisely to fit your narrow wall areas. Check out a few ideas here https://www.houzz.com/projects/1262017/kitchen-backsplash

Kitchen Backsplash · More Info

Wow tiles - bold, unique, elegant · More Info

esudakof thanked NewLinkz
  • esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

super cool! I would have never thought of that!

and yes, for the backsplash, another concern of mine is where to put it, where to end it... do I end at the end of the cabinets?

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

Lake Harriet Tudor Kitchen · More Info
    Personally, I think your kitchen is already lovely with the black backsplash you already have. I think you have to work on your accessories. I would add some framed art, thoughtful pieces(some greenery/plants are needed), and if you really wanted to add a backsplash, I would do bead board or paneling. Your kitchen is classic.

Here are just a few Houzz inspiration pics. You could also do a search for soapstone counter kitchens because a lot of them have the 4" backsplash like your granite. It would give you some more ideas.

esudakof thanked mom2sulu
  • esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

These kitchens are stunning, thank you for the inspiration! Yes I need to find some nice artwork...just not my strong spot! I will search for some!

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Does anyone think I need a rug under the dining area? someone said that is where the disconnect is...wondering if a large rug under the table would set it apart ? And yes... I am aiming for the Chip Joanna look... I love the farmhouse look, trying to get there... I love all of these suggestions, thank you everyone!

• mom2sulu
    6 years ago

You could definitely put a rug in your dining area. I was also thinking since you have such a long run of cabinets you could have a long runner like this as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-Geometric-Wool-Runner-4x10-Hamadan-Persian-Oriental-Rug-9-10-x-3-7/382407096178?hash=item59093d3772:g:jcEAAOSweBFapaHV

esudakof thanked mom2sulu
  • PRO
    NewLinkz
    6 years ago

esudakof, for the wall tiles, I would end them at the cabinet edge and cap off the tiles with an accent border on the edges. For the table, I don't think you need a rug, the beautiful wooden floors look clean wrap the areas together, when contiguous

esudakof thanked NewLinkz
  • visualizemaven
    6 years ago

Well if you want the Joanna "modern farmhouse" vibe you may have to switch out your bling chandelier - just sayin - ;)

And I think it safe to say she would remove granite trim and add subway tile with subtle grout lines - meaning matching the tile.

Please send us a better picture of what is on the far wall - past the dining table. We can help you select art for the wall keeping in mind you like what Joanna does.

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

lol, that is a good point, I love my light though :(

Yes I need help with artwork back there, not sure what to put up and I don't want to make it look too busy... but do realize it's missing something. Here is a closer look of that area (oh and don't mind my dying house plant!!)

I have this flower poster that I love and feel brings all the colors together... I got several quotes to frame it (poster was $40.00) but since it is so large, it is over $600. to frame.... is it a crazy/silly idea to cut the poster into 4 parts and frame them individually then hang back together somewhere in my kitchen... does that make sense?

And I would find a different art piece for the wall it is currently hung on.

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

And to give you reference... that flower is currently on this wall in my family room, which looks out to the kitchen, so I was trying to tie all the colors together... sorry if I am all over the place, I just love all of your advice and need more!

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

Thank you for all the additional pics! Wonderful space and your decorating is lovely - we are just tweaking here to help pull everything together, create a bit more interest by creating focal points with color -

If you love your bling chandelier, perhaps you can find another spot for it in your home? Even a bathroom might be an option? I just think you can get the Joanna modern farmhouse vibe you want with another chandelier.

The floral poster you love is a great way to add color and a focal point. Search for a piece of reclaimed wood and then glue it or tack it on it with interesting tacks. I think cutting it up might go awry.............

Whatever room the floral poster ends up in, place a floral arrangement with orange, etc in it to tie it into the room.

The dark tree art over the console is just too dark there. Have you considered a large mirror surrounded by various other items like paintings, prints, branches, etc. Go for a unique gallery wall here - look up Joanna's ideas for large walls.

Lastly, I would encourage you to edit. I think there are just a bit too many little accessories grouped all around. I find that if I take away all my accessories and start over, often I use 1/2 of them and in different rooms and the results are always better! Try it - it might work for you and you can always put things back the way they were.

P.S. I have several of those plants in the same condition!!!!!

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much, this is great advice! A large mirror is genius to put where the dark/wood piece is.... or what if I put the flower poster there (in a frame of some sort...) I can play and try that and take pictures? But I think you are right, a mirror would really open up the space a bit?

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh and then putting the dark wood flower that is above the buffet now, move that to the living room where the flower poster is... so maybe I will switch those!

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

Great! Try it with no commitment.

You can also run to Home Goods, etc and try different mirrors there just by leaning them on the buffet without having to hang them..................Go big - scale is important here to visually balance out the weight of your table and chairs.

Will be back on line tonight----

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

If I did happen to find a grand mirror to replace the current wood tree art for behind the buffet, am I still needing to find art work for the sides as well as the wall opposite the shelves (next to the window) ... I don't want it to look too busy but of course want to add if you feel the space looks like it is missing something. Thank you!

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

Hi again - I agree, you don't want it to look too busy and cluttered. Just take it one step at a time and live with each change for a while before building on it. It is a good thing not to have something on every single empty wall -

I don't mean to offend but I would like to see you edit the two wood beam shelves a bit - let the beauty of those shelves be the star.

All this time I thought that window was a door, ;) ! Have you considered switching that out to a french door?

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you @Visualizemaven for all of your continuous feedback! I am so sorry to be needy, I just need all the advice I can get as decorating and staging is just not my forte. I really like that mirror, how creative, something I would have never picked myself but I think could work perfect! Do you think I would hang the mirror and then place smaller pieces of art work around it, or you think that on the wall to replace the wood art is all that is needed?

No offense taken on the shelves, I can play tonight and remove some of the clutter and see how it looks!

I also have more pictures... this is the room adjacent the dining area in my kitchen. I don't have a "formal dining room" ...instead we made it into a sitting room area, but now that someone suggested replacing the glamour lighting with something more farmhouse/rustic, I am wondering how my current chandelier would look in that room without seating underneath? is that just weird? (we bought an older home so there are no lights in the ceilings, i only have lamps and would need to hire an electrician to hook it up of course)

I wouldn't want to replace that light unless I could use it elsewhere as it was expensive and I think my husband would kill me lol!!

Thank you for all of your help!!!

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

You are better at staging than you give yourself credit for - lovely spaces. Just try and edit a bit more............notice how things can get spotty visually with too many smaller things grouped about. Create one dramatic focal point in each room, then don't do much to take your eye away from that. See how you like it.

I have to run out for a few hours so I'll get back to you later.....

• PRO
    Planet Cabinets
    6 years ago

It looks good already but for added contrast I suggest you get someting multicolored? Like

a white and gray/black combination? Also, you can add some lights for more added effect. As for the Island counter, I don't think you need it, it would just clutter your space. Good luck!

esudakof thanked Planet Cabinets
  • visualizemaven
    6 years ago

hahaha I'm the one suggested another chandelier for over your table! ;)

I am loving your idea to hang the bling chandelier over the glass coffee table - it will look great. Just don't hang it too low- you don't want it to interfere with sight lines when people are standing around talking nor when sitting.

Regardless, I am suggesting you switch the two square pieces of art in the sitting room. The one over the sofa is too big for the scale of the sofa. I think the other one would look better over the sofa.

How about trying the dark tree one (currently in the dining area) in the living room on the wall above the long bench or over the ottoman against the wall?

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

6-Light Candle-Style Wooden Chandelier

Does this one appeal to you?

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

Birch Chandelier, White

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

[Addison Wood Chandelier[(https://www.houzz.com/products/addison-wood-chandelier-prvw-vr~94397764)

This one would work but I'm concerned 4 bulbs will not provide adequate light - which made me think

this one would work also but 4 bulbs may not provide enough light............. which is making me think that after you after you select a mirror for over the buffet, you might want to install sconces on either side - but they would have to coordinate well with the new chandelier.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

it's very nice, but I'm in the backsplash camp. I'd remove the 4" piece and do something like the black and white cement tiles,

or a herringbone,

or something besides a 3x6 white subway tile! Doing a backsplash is the finishing touch and would take you kitchen to the top level.

carrara marble tiles

nice runner.

esudakof thanked Beth H. :
  • jlj48
    6 years ago

LOVE Beth’s examples of backsplashes!

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

wow I am simply overwhelmed with joy with all of these responses and overwhelmed with where to start lol!! I will be back online this weekend to review and get all of my thoughts together, thank you all for sticking through this with me! Don't leave yet, I will need final opinions!! Thanks again!!

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

cool! So glad you like one of my chandelier suggestions esudakof!

Just want to ask Beth, who is the expert re: tiles, where she would recommend ending said tiles on both walls?

And Beth, what is your opinion regarding my concern that the kitchen is reading B&W and the adjacent dining area is not. Therefore, what tile would do the job of connecting the two?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

visualize, i just knew someone would ask that question! I already considered that.

Depending on the type of tile chosen, I'd pro take it all the way out to the slider, down to the floor and up to the ceiling. on the right side, I'd end it at the countertop. I'd go up above the window, to the ceiling. (again, that 4" piece needs to be removed or I would not do any tile)

these pics all show tile done on the entire wall, to the ceiling

this one, below, is gorgeous. I'm in love w/the black herringbone around the window. Obviously, she likes her tile and isn't afraid to do entire walls! I can't really see to the left of OP's sliding door, so I can't say whether she should take the tile all the way around the shelving and keep going to the left. I happen to like the look, but it's a personal choice.

another option is just to do the tile under the first shelf. Although, because it extends past the countertop, you also have the portion to the floor to consider.

for the opposing side, I'd just do the length of the countertop.

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

wow, these are all amazing suggestions! all gorgeous inspiration... thank you so much!!

• visualizemaven
    6 years ago

;)

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Beth H... I love the picture of the runner you found... do you know where I can purchase that or something similar? To those who recommended replacing my current rug in front of the sink with a longer runner, do you have suggestions on what colors I should bring out? I didn't know if I should stay more neutral or bring some fun colors in?

Thanks All!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

sorry, I don't have a link for that runner. it does look like wool. try rugs USA or even the rugs here on Houzz. either of those you picked are nice, but just know they are very thin. prob made of the poly stuff,,,it's very thin and inexpensive.

• esudakof
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much! I would have never known the difference... so I should look for a wool rug, something that is nice and durable and won't look cheap. thank you!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

the others do look a little cheaper, but the clean up is easy. if it's going on the kitchen floor, keep that in mine.

• hiccup4
    6 years ago

Okay. My 2 cents. It appears that the dining room is a bit squishy. Lots of big furniture. My thought would be to remove the sideboard, put a banquette along the wall and shift the dining table over. This is a tad fancier then what you are going for but this is right beside a kitchen peninsula...same layout. I think they shifted the chandelier over so it is centred with the table. If you search for "banquette dining" on PINTEREST you'll get lots of inspiration. Just a thought to give you more breathing room if desired. :) The balance between the beautiful banquet and the open chairs would be perfect (in your style).

• esudakof
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is there anyone who can offer their opinion on whether or not I can simply tile behind my stove, to help with cleanup etc. while cooking... I was thinking larger porcelain tiles, just behind my stove, and leaving the rest of the walls as is (no other backslash).. is this an odd idea, would it look awful?

• Mrs. S
    5 years ago

You should start your own thread if you want people to see it and respond. What you're describing sounds fine. But it's best to provide pictures. New thread.

esudakof thanked Mrs. S
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    5 years ago

Nice Kitchen. A simple white backsplash will give it a more finished look. I agree that a island would be a great added feature for cooking and guests.

esudakof thanked essentials inside
  • Daniel Jordan
    5 years ago
    After seeing more pictures of your kitchen layout, it looks like theres enough lighting to get away with a dark stainless or a polished black/stainless mosaic!