SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeholornis

Input needed on plants for my grandmother (GA, 8a)

Hello I'm from FL and I'm trying to set up a hummingbird garden for my grandmother who is in rural 8a GA (closest "large" city is Macon) but is near 8b line. Also house is brick so some 8b plants might be possible but I wouldn't count on it. Mulch she uses is pine straw (acidic). There's some clayish spots in her yard but it's not that bad. Yard is 1/2 acre so space is not an issue. Area is mostly pine-dominated + cow pasture, not super wet but there are a few moister beds in her yard.

Long story short she's had rotten luck with her injury and a tornado that wiped out all of her old pecan trees and hydrangeas (what remains are Flowering dogwoods, baby Pecan trees, and what I believe is something birch or ash-like but I'm not there right now to figure it out). She really likes hummingbirds and normally has 5+ feeders for them and gets a ton of them but due to the injury that's harder to do so I was going to make her an EASY hummingbird garden. I don't want my plants to make more work for her once established.

Any input on how carefree any of these plants are in Georgia would be appreciated.

Most of these would go in front of house which is east-facing but rather exposed since there's few trees or anything.

Plants:

Salvia greggii & hybrids- 'Hot Lips' & 'Radio Red'

Salvia blepharophylla 'Diablo' [shade]

Salvia elegans (early flowering type) [morning sun]

Butterfly bush 'White Profusion'

Vitex 'Shoal Creek'

Lantana 'Chapel Hill'

red Trumpet Honeysuckle

Firecracker Vine

Red Hot Poker

Coreopsis 'Sunburst' (seed grown, seems to be a C. grandiflora type)

Red Buckeye [gonna try to put it in moistest spot]

Homestead Verbena

Salvia 'Amistad' (probably an annual in her zone but I propagate via cutting so it's fine)

Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' and/or 'David Verity' (I propagate from cuttings so it's also ok if it's annual)
Anyway that's it c: thanks for reading

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists