SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Master bath/closet remodel - layout advice needed!

biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We own an old Victorian home that was renovated in 2003, at which time the former owners added a TINY master bath and medium-sized walk-in closet to what I think used to be a stairwell. The time has come for an update to the bath at the very least - the shower is crumbling. In the tiny space allotted (6'x6' minus a chunk that is currently taken up by an unused chimney stack), there is no way to change the layout, but I would really love to gain some extra room for a larger shower. The master closet is larger than I probably need it to be, especially if it were renovated and fitted with proper shelving, etc., so I could theoretically steal some space there. The chimney stack is also on the chopping block, but only if removing it is a) possible and not too expensive; and b) gives us useful space in a new layout.

I have been trying to get estimates for the chimney removal, but it's like pulling teeth to get appointments. However, I would love some input on the bathroom and closet layout in general, because I really don't know if the chimney stack space is useful no matter what the cost. Here's the current bathroom floorplan, so you can see what I'm working with.

And the rest of the second floor, so you can see how the bath fits in (it's the one on the right side of the drawing below). The closet in the guest bedroom (behind the master walk-in) is more than large enough for our needs, so I would be open to stealing space from that closet and the master, or even bumping out into the bedroom behind the toilet, although I think the wall between bath and guest bedroom may be load bearing.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comment